Haru Akenaga Character Mod Pack (Brawl Version)

Started by Chimæra, February 07, 2017, 03:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

February 07, 2017, 03:06:17 AM Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 01:17:40 AM by 99Lives
Hello, I have decided to finally develop a serious character mod for smash.
This thread is about the development and future release of Haru Akenaga. Haru Akenaga is a character that will be released for both Brawl, and Wii U.

As for the Brawl version...
The concept of the character is that you 'level up' as you play by satisfying certain conditions.
Leveling up will get you new moves, and allow you to access level-draining finishers.
The character will have a tap, and a hold version for each move, sort of like Ryu in Smash 4. However, you must be level 4 or higher to use the powerful variation of these moves. Reaching level 10 will allow you to reach a stronger mode, but dying will reset your levels back to 0.


Here is a character sheet for the character concept. It was used to make the 3D model.
This is Haru Akenaga, a man who defeated his own shadow and created his own ninjutsu. Pictured alongside him is his future blade, the Empath Blade. It is an weapon from unknown origin, designed to be a switchblade beam-katana. It goes from being an beam katana to a beam rifle which utilize the trigger. With his unique abilities, Haru Akenaga is able to travel back in time to save his own life and change the past. He fights the future and relies on his angel's powers to protect him when all else fails.



Here is the 3D model's current head. It took a very long time to get just right.
It's still getting updated and receiving its texture soon.

The unique thing about Haru is that you start off as a younger Haru, and must level up to level 4 to become your older shinobi self. This is based off of the canon (of Haru's origin), where Haru can travel backwards in time (with a special ability) to when he was a child, and change into his adult body with all of his skills from the future. Once Haru has his adult body, he will have access to the 'hold' version of aerials and special attacks (press and hold the attack command for aerials and specials), and he gains a sword. Haru can now use smash attacks past level 4, and has other enhanced moves, such as 5 new aerials. Haru's future sword, 'Empath Blade' allows him to throw a blade which floats in place temporarily. Enemies can be tossed into this blade for damaging combos. While the blade is positioned away from Haru, attacks involving the sword (The smashes, Hold-Forward Air, Hold-Up Air, and Jab 3 Hold) are unusable and give inputs for their non-hold form, and tilts for the smashes. This is reminiscent of 'The First Samurai' for NES.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0McnxG12i8


Haru's concept is to perform a majority of strings and combos, and cancel them into moves that allow you to level up. Haru uses a tap-or-hold system for most of his moves. Tapping the button will do one move, and holding it will perform another move (as long as Haru is in his adult form, which means level 4 and up).

Haru has several moves to deal with shield since he has a few moves that bounce off of opponents and their shields. Haru finishes opponents with moves that drain his level. If his level is too low, he loses a majority of his special powers and reverts to his younger body. Leveling up to 4 again will allow you to use all abilities. All of Haru's abilities are meant to feel unique, and cool.

Haru Akenaga is a work in progress, and subject to change. Haru will have unique special attacks which will have enough knock-back to kill at high percents, unlike most of his other moves. They will drain his level if he isn't K.O'd before he levels up high.
Haru's specials currently include:

- A projectile (still deciding, currently a knife)
- A thrown sword, which floats before coming back
- A lightning strike, which strikes at a delay
- A beam rifle, usable only if the weapon is not thrown.
- A shadow-dash move, which functions as Haru's run, and cancels into...
- A kick move, which has a combo version, and heavy hitting version.
- A skyward blade strike with a large range.

Haru will have - 8 different recolors
A unique voice
A Unique weapon model
A unique stage track
Almost all unique animations and coding
A unique model
A Smash Wii U release

Full Move-set Below
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


This has been in development for quite some time.
Please respond in this thread to let me know if you can help out with anything. CSPs, stock icons, aren't made yet, and if you can help out, let me know. Also, somebody who can make GFX.

Credits:
Haru Akenaga - Creative Director
3D Models made by Gamidame_K (on this forum and on facebook).
Edward D. Al - 2D artist for character sheet and weapons
Coding - Kienamaru (Brawl and Wii U version), Vishera (Wii U version)
Animation: Kagemaru

Everything is subject to change. Some people may join and leave, and more content is being made each day. I update the facebook page for the character under Akenaga X and will update  this thread as well.
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

I have received the currently final version of the hair textures. The body will begin development soon. I am thinking of creating a Sheik or Greninja smash 4 rig of the model, as well as Shulk (for sure).




ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Hey there. I want to show a little better that problem with the models, and remember that's not just the ghostly one that will suffer from this.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Unfortunately, the only thing that I really want to accomplish when it comes to the animation/model is for him to have a ghostly figure around him. As you have shown, if they're not the same size, it can make the game behave strangely. But what if it was only something like the head, or something, and you made the other parts completely invisible. The other model would replace the first model in a flash when you reach level 4. Does that mean I can decide to only make the head slightly visible when he's a kid, and make it have a low opacity, but when he's an adult he'll have his whole body visible?

I mean...like. I think what I will do is just include the adult version's head as part of the kid's model, and have the adult version alone. The kids' model will have the head as a barely visible aura using either ingame effects or whatever.

It'll look like this character here.


But just over the other character's head. It might be way too weird for some people because I am thinking about either leaving the child faceless or giving him a different type of mask. Maybe a childrens' mask.

You mentioned changing attributes ingame...like during the match. That actually sounds amazing. Are you saying I can make him change attributes to be worse as a child, and make him stronger when he levels up to being an adult (child levels 0 - 3, adult level 4 - 10)? That would be very interesting. But it uses a code and I've never used characters that use codes.
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

That's what I meant with changing attributes. You could make two models exactly the same. After that, you change the details you want to make him look like an adult. Or a kid, whichever you choose to do as the secondary model. In the same subroutine you will have to trigger the model changer, you can also trigger the "size changing" parameter. You will have the adult model in any size you want without having those translation problems. But the size changing in during gameplay only, while the models are actually the same proportions. Assuming the size changing works, I didn't try the code with this attribute.

You can make the head work that way if you wish. If you intend to have both models using the same outfit, it's even better, because will save a lot of space by not adding the whole body again.

Honestly, most attributes can be somehow... "falsely changed" during gameplay, either with coding and/or with different animations. There are some few, like weight, that can't be faked. If you don't use this size changing, I suggest you to not use codes if possible. This code had some bad behaviors when I loaded a new outfit in the middle of a fight. I forgot testing how it behave in subspace and in any other mode that forces the character to use the pac file instead of the pcs one.

Just saying, but the TopN visibility bone is always visible, so if you do want to have two models use the same outfit or something, you could have only the head and/or accessories, like if he had extra stuff on his jacket when he's an adult or something, have only these things triggered to a visibility bone, i.e. model changer, and the rest just as TopN. And if the size thing is a big issue, you could use the character switcher code that Samus/ZSamus, Zelda/Sheik, Wario/Warioman, and Bowser/GigaBowser use, to have an adult version in one .pcs, and a one-slot resize kid version in the other .pcs, and you could still use the visibility bones to make alternate versions per each of those two .pcs files, meaning that you would have twice as many options as you would have had (Without freezing the game), and you can, in addition, also have the two different sizes.

Post Merge: February 11, 2017, 03:05:19 AM

But that's just my say/opinion.

February 11, 2017, 05:22:35 PM #6 Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 04:50:09 PM by 99Lives
Before I respond...
Here is an update with the completed hair texture.


I fixed the mask with paint real quick so that I could show it. It should have that fixed correctly in the next update.



Quote from: Mortimer on February 11, 2017, 02:36:21 AM
That's what I meant with changing attributes. You could make two models exactly the same. After that, you change the details you want to make him look like an adult. Or a kid, whichever you choose to do as the secondary model. In the same subroutine you will have to trigger the model changer, you can also trigger the "size changing" parameter. You will have the adult model in any size you want without having those translation problems. But the size changing in during gameplay only, while the models are actually the same proportions. Assuming the size changing works, I didn't try the code with this attribute.

You can make the head work that way if you wish. If you intend to have both models using the same outfit, it's even better, because will save a lot of space by not adding the whole body again.

Honestly, most attributes can be somehow... "falsely changed" during gameplay, either with coding and/or with different animations. There are some few, like weight, that can't be faked. If you don't use this size changing, I suggest you to not use codes if possible. This code had some bad behaviors when I loaded a new outfit in the middle of a fight. I forgot testing how it behave in subspace and in any other mode that forces the character to use the pac file instead of the pcs one.

In all honestly I think I just wanted the visibility to be for the child model in a very modest sense. I don't think I will need to use any codes if I simply add the adult head and make it transparent over the child's. I think it will cover the desired effect and just take up a little more model space. Here is the effect that I had in mind.



or more specifially...



Quote from: windhunter7 on February 11, 2017, 03:04:54 AM
Just saying, but the TopN visibility bone is always visible, so if you do want to have two models use the same outfit or something, you could have only the head and/or accessories, like if he had extra stuff on his jacket when he's an adult or something, have only these things triggered to a visibility bone, i.e. model changer, and the rest just as TopN. And if the size thing is a big issue, you could use the character switcher code that Samus/ZSamus, Zelda/Sheik, Wario/Warioman, and Bowser/GigaBowser use, to have an adult version in one .pcs, and a one-slot resize kid version in the other .pcs, and you could still use the visibility bones to make alternate versions per each of those two .pcs files, meaning that you would have twice as many options as you would have had (Without freezing the game), and you can, in addition, also have the two different sizes.

Post Merge: February 11, 2017, 03:05:19 AM

But that's just my say/opinion.

I actually don't plan on using the same model or outfit. I'll be completely different, to represent two different time periods and lots of change. I know codes can have a lot of issues, and I actually avoided them when I used to play Brawl mods back in the day. While the character change idea would be cool (with codes, like Zelda and Sheik) I don't think I will be doing that. But I thank you for your input.

I also had questions about TL's projectiles. I'm sure I can change how they work and spawn them during smash attacks or special attacks. Additionally I have been pondering these 'super moves' that I plan to use. I'll keep updating. I'll need Kien to check this thread.

Post Merge: February 12, 2017, 04:50:05 PM

If the models aren't the same size then the animations won't work across both the models if a model changer occurs, will it? It'll stretch the animations out, right?

How about this. Create the child model with the same size as the adult model. But make parts of his skeleton and bone set invisible. Make the arms where the elbows would be, and change the hitboxes accordingly. Now on every move, it'll check to see if you're past level 4 or not (the threshold to model change to an adult) and if it's past 4 then the hitbox will be on the correct part of the body.

For example let's say you give Haru a punch. The end of his arm is obviously going to be the main hitbox. Now for when Haru is a child, his model will be the same length as Haru's except those long pieces are going to be invisible. The game checks and sees he's lower than level 4 so it makes the hitboxes go to the visible arm (which is at the elbow of the actual model).

Here, I have drawn an image to be a better explanation.
https://i.gyazo.com/e3ed273cd7a5389b2223398c5cee7934.png

Let's say that our original point of reference when we start coding is point A, because we will start every piece of code assuming you're Younger Haru's model. Let's say we are coding a jab. The jab's hitbox will be on point A. If Haru is level 4 then it will be on point B. Younger haru's model will invisibly be the same size as older Haru because that will prevent the model from stretching or failing to translate animation across different body sizes.

What do you think of that? I think the person creating the model can make a 'dummy' over Haru's kid model which will be invisible ingame but it will be the same size as Haru's adult model, and it'll contain the kid model within it (which animates according to the big dummy model).

I think this method will work and we won't need any code.

I really need Kienamaru to find this thread and give it a look, but I think he is busy lately. He's the one coding for brawl so he'd be able to read all of this and say 'well actually,' and then solve the problem.
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

February 12, 2017, 07:37:10 PM #7 Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 07:41:20 PM by Mortimer
Quote from: 99Lives on February 11, 2017, 05:22:35 PM
If the models aren't the same size then the animations won't work across both the models if a model changer occurs, will it? It'll stretch the animations out, right?
Or shrink, depend of which model is the main one. But it will be deformed in both ways.

Quote from: 99Lives on February 11, 2017, 05:22:35 PM
Now for when Haru is a child, his model will be the same length as Haru's except those long pieces are going to be invisible. The game checks and sees he's lower than level 4 so it makes the hitboxes go to the visible arm
That works. You can also attach collisions to bones that are invisible with model changers if you want, they work fine if I'm not mistaken.
I just didn't understand what you mean with that screenshot, because you said you wanted both models to be the same size but you said you want the arms to be where his elbows were.
Still, changing an hitbox depending on the level is just one comparison to make. It won't fail.



Quote from: 99Lives on February 11, 2017, 05:22:35 PM
Create the child model with the same size as the adult model. But make parts of his skeleton and bone set invisible.
Remember you can't have two different bone sets. Either with same or different names, you will have big problems.


Quote from: 99Lives on February 11, 2017, 05:22:35 PM
I think the person creating the model can make a 'dummy' over Haru's kid model which will be invisible ingame but it will be the same size as Haru's adult model, and it'll contain the kid model within it (which animates according to the big dummy model).
I didn't understand a word about what you want to do here.  :)
You want to create 3 models, then. A kid and an adult with the same size, and a kid with a smaller size.
The "big kid" remains invisible to move according to the big kid and have the small kid to be animated according to the big kid?  :-X

Curiously, it seems I just got awarded for being 2 years without a warning while I definitely don't recall have been warned in my life. I guess I'm too old for this.  8)

Yeah, basically the 'big kid' would be a very low poly model because it only exists to artificially make the kid model the same size as the adult one so that they don't stretch. THe 'big kid' model would be part of the 'kid' model. It would just be the same exact size as the adult one. However those parts that are larger and meet the same length of the adult are going to be invisible. That way you can have the same body size (artificially) but still have a smaller LOOKING model (and it'll be kid sized, which means slightly shorter and such, except that's only visually since in reality there's going to be invisible model parts which make him the same size as regular adult haru and use the same boneset. That would be a workaround for bad translation, right?
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

I'm really having trouble to understand your logic behind this.  r)

So let'see, if you're trying to use the big kid model as a "decoy" for the translation problem, that's not going to work. It's not a matter of what's attached in what order, the problem is you will have bones that simply won't match the articulations of a human. The vertices won't sorround the bone, and then you will create a streched/molten/squeezed effect in the polygons everytime you rotate a bone. Even if your model is correctly positioned, to avoid the translation problems, your rotations will get all screwed up.

Also, since you're using one bone set, there's absolutely no need for a big kid model to do this. It's 100% useless. You're just throwing your space in the trash.

If you didn't understand what I mean, tell whoever who is working in the 3d model to translate a little the model's meshes (or scale them) and rotate any bone with something rigged on it. It will have the same effect.

By the way, I'm going to travel tomorrow, I won't be able to help you in the following 10 days.

Darn. Your help was great while it lasted. The development hasn't advanced enough for the next ten days to truly count but it's a big help to have you. By the time you get back we should have more to discuss.

Should each model just have different animations? I know there's a way to port the animations over to another model and make them fit. I used to do it back in the day. I'm sure that'll work along with the check for 'level 4' to see where to put the hitbox. I know it will take up a lot of space but I see characters with 3 movesets all the time. I think it might not be a major problem.

But I am still looking for a solution. I don't know the best way other than using the code. If I have to use it I'll use it but I don't want it to be hard to access because it requires codes.
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Some can have 3 movesets, yes. But that's for the attacks only. From what I have animated so far, I can safely say you have enough space to animate every attack twice at the very least. But if you make different animations for them, you will have to make all of them: waits, wins, entry, ledge grab, falls, damage... literally everything. You won't get even close of doing that before you run out of space, not to mention the absurd amount of work you will have.

If you don't want use codes neither switch characters, the best you can do is make them the same size. Change the face and outfit if you want, but let them be just like the koopas up there. It's not exactly what you want, I know, but I think the work just to have a smaller model is not worth doing it. Really.

I might just have to suck it up. I'm not sure how much Kienamaru know about the codes or character change, but I have a feeling that he isn't up to trying to find out some kind of alternative. Since it sounds like it's going to be hell, I think we will take your advice.

Size code -

Making models the same size -

Character change -


That's the order in which I would consider the three. I just hope that it doesn't cause any unforeseen problems. The character limitations will have to stand, between forms though.

Younger form: No smashes, No aerial 'hold' moves (tapping or holding will do the same thing as your younger form), and no super moves. No hold versions of B moves either.

Essentially becoming older doubles his aerials, gives him smashes, and gives him super moves along with the extra body length.

Now I would like to put together a system that makes it fair when it comes to leveling up. People will probably like playing as the adult form more, so I am thinking of giving him levels over time when he's younger, up until he levels up to 4 and becomes his future self. Future Haru will not gain levels on his own though. This way you can spend time camping to get your strength back, yet the opponent can take advantage of your limited options. While it's going to be hard to start off the match, it becomes a metagame of 'can we deal damage before he levels up'.

Abusive Haru players who waste super moves will return to younger form by expending too many levels. Since the levels balance out his adult form and he can lose them, the counterplay to all of Haru's options are to prevent him from leveling up, and to try to make sure you can kill him before he becomes his future self.

Additionally, Haru's mechanic for leveling up essentially is forgoing a combo for the sake of leveling up. If he hits you with a tilt, he can hold still and every tilt's ending animation can be cancelled. If he stays still, he will perform a long animation, unique to each level, which when completed without interruption will level him up. Most of these moves are either safe on shield or combo starters, so Haru's playstyle revolves around either doing the combo or baiting them into trying to avoid a combo that isn't coming, and leveling up because they left you alone. Haru also levels up by getting a grab and not doing anything. Players will have to avoid certain behaviors from Haru, such as avoiding a grab at all costs if they know he is looking for an easy level-up. This will create superstition in the other player which will aid Haru's neutral (much like cloud in ssb4, you don't know if he will assault you with safe-on-shield moves, or if he will grab or try a multihit move on you. If he decided to do none of those, he can charge limit. The problem I saw with cloud though is that he can blatantly camp).
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ


February 16, 2017, 01:31:26 AM #14 Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:34:19 AM by 99Lives
I have gone over things with Kienamaru and he proposed this (edited) list [based on my original moveset and mechanics, just more concrete with the actual sub-actions].

Mechanic- Level up character. Scarf represents level. Haru's scarf grows as his level increases, which allows it to be a visual indicator of the Haru's level.
(Uses TL's hat bones so it can blow in the wind).

Poses after certain attacks. Animations have the same ending frames. Poses changes Haru's level [which allow him to do super moves] and all have same start frames. This way, Haru will always look very smooth when he transitions into a pose, regardless of which pose/level he is on. Each pose corresponds to a level. When leveling up to 1, he will always do the pose for level 1, etc.

Each of the 9 poses takes the same amount of time, and there are 9, for each level up to level 10 (X). Here are the free sub-actions that will be used for poses.
3- Pose 1
4- Pose 2
1B- Pose 3
1C- Pose 4
1D- Pose 5
1E- Pose 6
1F- Pose 7
2E?- Pose 8
2F?- Pose 9

Here are the subactions for moves that Haru only gets when level 4 or higher (in his adult body).

39- Nair Held
3A- Fair Held
3B- Bair Held
3C- Uair Held
3D- Dair Held

Haru can hold his utaunt, and if it goes on for long enough, he will gain a free level.
3E- Utaunt held

Several of Haru's moves will use poses. The start for each of the 9 ninjutsu poses will have a subaction.
51- Pose Start


Specials - here are sthe sub-actions for special moves.
1CE- NB (Knife)
1CF NB Held (Blade toss)
1D0- NB Air?
1D1- NB Air Held? (Blade toss)
1D4- DB
1D5- DB Hold
1D6- DB Air (Hover)
1D7- DB Air (Hover Cancel)
1D8- DB Air (Snipe)
1DA- UB
1DB- UB 5
1DC- UB 10

Haru's side B will have  5 sub-actions. There will be two different types of kicks that come out of the side B, one with a fixed bounce animation, and one with a minor bounce with no animation.

1DE- SB (Kick)
1DF- SB (Held Kick)
1E0- SB (Bounce)
1E1- SB (Sprint)
1E2- SB (Air Dash)

Haru will have a couple of super moves, too. These moves will be some of Haru's only killing moves. He won't struggle to kill with them, but he won't be able to simply throw them out.

1E3- Super 4 (Cross out)
52- Super 6 (Seal Breaker)
1D2- Super 1 (Weapon throw)
1D3- Super 2 (Assassination)
1DD- Super 3 (Neo Deadly Wave)
1D9- Super 3 (Wind Cutter)

Haru will be able to perform a regular dash attack, and a constant dash attack while running.

Side B - A quick dash forward. Allows an additional input, otherwise can be used for positioning. The air variant increases momentum according to his own. (Add, not Set)

Side B 2 Dive Kick Finisher (Tap) - Leaps forward with a kick. Set to "Can Leave Stage/Air" state. The hitbox is constant and lasts for about 60 frames? Has high ending lag. Capable of KOing similarly to a smash. This move will leave Haru bouncing backwards, unable to follow up.

Side B 2 Dive Kick Bounce (Hold) - Works similarly to the above, deals less damage and hitting something causes him to rebound, allowing him to follow up.

Quote from: Gamidame_K on February 13, 2017, 11:57:25 PM
oh my, this is really going far

Indeed, I can't wait until it's finally done with. Then we can begin on the Wii U since the models and animations will carry over.
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ