Gecko vs. Riivolution

Started by moleman915, August 02, 2010, 04:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

I was just curious to what riivolution can do that gecko OS can't and the benefits of using both, this includes: functionality, ease of use, and anything else that would be good to know.

i use gecko because its simple and ive never used riivolution but riivolution can handle bigger file sizes and stuff but i heard its a pain in the a$$ to use sometimes


Married Mai Self nvm

Riivo makes you keep the "_en" on some files but lets you use THPs.

By the way, does Riivolution support SD cards larger than 2 gig unlike gecko?

Riivolution is better can handle sound hacks

Made by my best friend, Annelies.
My High quality BRSTMs Collection!
http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=59370.0

August 02, 2010, 11:45:15 AM #5 Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 11:46:16 AM by Dragonrage
While Riivolution has better overall functionality due to no filesizelimit and support for SDHC it gets crippled by the fact that it's not as user friendly as Gecko and the creator's dogma of "not supporting piracy". Which means no support for USB loader, so people with broken disc drives like me are screwed.

Basically it's functionality VS availibility.

I use Gecko still because Riivolution seems to hardly work half the time for anybody, plus it doesn't support USB Loaders anyways. I use an ISO, so I don't have to worry about file size limits anyways, or even space on my SD Card. XD


August 02, 2010, 02:14:46 PM #7 Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 04:30:38 PM by chad3670
I use riivolution which then links to a gct file for codes such as cameras.
It was originally the brawl+ loader for riivolution but I took out the plussery and left the camera and replay codes. If anyone wants it just pm me.
Dragon eggs... Yeah. Click them. Click them all.


Credit to RobzdaBlades for the sig.


August 02, 2010, 03:47:53 PM #8 Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 03:49:19 PM by libertyernie
I use Riivolution so I can choose which hacks I want to use at startup. I have a really big code file with a lot of options.
My recommendation is, unless you have a reason to use Riivolution, go with Gecko.

I only use Riivolution when testing out music hacks.  Everything else, I use Gecko OS.

Also, Gecko OS lets you update most files without having to restart your game.  Whereas, for Riivolution, you have to restart your game each time you make any changes to ANY files.

Oh yeah, and Gecko OS lets you save stuff onto SD cards, which Riivolution isn't capable of.

Its not that Riivolution can't do it, it purposefully locks out the SD card to prevent crashing.
Dragon eggs... Yeah. Click them. Click them all.


Credit to RobzdaBlades for the sig.


Quote from: chad3670 on August 02, 2010, 06:27:53 PM
Its not that Riivolution can't do it, it purposefully locks out the SD card to prevent crashing.

Which probably explains why your game crashes whenever you eject the SD card while using Riivolution.  Happened to me at one time.

I use riivolution when I'm playing with my friends because it doesnt seem to crash with our trigger happy fingers, I use Gecko when I'm testing out new hacks and need to swap a lot.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


I DO NOT take requests, I make what I want to make

August 02, 2010, 07:16:16 PM #13 Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 08:43:30 PM by BeyondYou
Riivolution
Pros:
- Can replace all files from any game (not just Brawl)
- Has a no file size limit (haven't tested it myself)
- Has USB and SD support over 2gb
- Built in channel installer so you can load it from the Wii menu

Cons:
- Have to create .xml files to setup codes and file patching. Though there are premade ones out there
- Can't use the SD for things such as pics and replays if you're using the SD as your method of loading the files
- No Dantarion Alternate Stage Loader support. Only PW Stage Expansion code works.
- No USB loader/backup support


Gecko
Pros:
- SD card can be used to save pics and other stuff even when using the FPC
- Simpler to set up
- SD card can be removed without crashing.

Cons:
- Filesize limits
- Only replaces files for Brawl
- No USB support
- Doesn't replace all files like .THPs and Sound Effects

^ </thread>
Dragon eggs... Yeah. Click them. Click them all.


Credit to RobzdaBlades for the sig.