Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How could I get this to look more natural?  (Read 4838 times)
(specter)
Holy Kitten

• Awards KCMM Veteran Heart Container Active Contributor

• View Profile Awards
    « on: December 03, 2010, 08:38:10 PM »

I'm trying to make Luigi's hat have the Philadelphia Eagles logo on it instead of the L. You can tell by the picture I provided in the spoiler that you can clearly see I placed a big green circle over the white area. What I did was I just selected a big circular green chunk elsewhere on Luigi's hat about the same size as the white area. I then copied and pasted this new green circular chunk over the white area to blank out Luigi's hat so I could put the Eagles logo on it.     

I also had to do the same thing for my Mario texture here.   

What I'm asking is for advice that I could make this look natural like Luigi was made with the logo on his hat and you couldn't tell that someone edited his hat. I'm a super noob with GFX so I'd appreciate it if you try your best to help me understand how I could get this to work. I've been told to use the Blur tool but that never does anything.

Here's a screenshot:             

Also, speaking of that, does anyone know how I'm supposed to tell what part of this picture represents which part of Luigi's clothes? Why are they all piled up together like this?

Segtendo
    Local Marie Fanboy
    Special Access

Cold queen

• Awards Starstormer PC Core Gamer 128-bit Core Gamer Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 09:06:09 PM »

I know that in Photoshop, there's a tool called "Patch" where you set a source and drag to get the source in another area. It kinda blends in with the colors.

: SW-2632-7270-6724

(specter)
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 10:03:14 PM »

I know that in Photoshop, there's a tool called "Patch" where you set a source and drag to get the source in another area. It kinda blends in with the colors.

That's...basically what I did lol. I copied somewhere else on Luigi's hat that's green (source) and then I dragged it over the "L" in the white circle (getting the source in another area).

JBG
    Semi-Retired Crumudgeon
    Special Access

• Awards Starstormer Super Saiyan Topic Renowned Hacker Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 11:16:44 AM »

If you have a tablet, then you do what I do and improvise, just blend the colors with a fuzzy brush

DrPanda
    Special Access

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Renowned Hacker Featured Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 11:24:11 AM »

Clean off the white outline, blur the edges very slightly and use layer properties to create an overlay onto the original texture Smiley

Also, speaking of that, does anyone know how I'm supposed to tell what part of this picture represents which part of Luigi's clothes? Why are they all piled up together like this?
    Using several block colours, paint over different sections and view it on the model then you have a colour coded guide.

(specter)
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 02:47:54 PM »

@Black Boo: What's a tablet?

@DrPanda: I'm not following you at all. Clean off what outline? Blur what edges? And what do you mean use layer properties? Remember in the OP I stated I'm a super noob with GFX so try to explain this stuff in laymans terms to me. I'm sorry but I just don't know that much about GFX making and whatnot (but I know some).

DrPanda
    Special Access

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Renowned Hacker Featured Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 03:01:44 PM »

Ok, basically get your eraser brush and carefully remove the white outline from around the logo. Then either using a smudge or blur tool, go around the very edges of it.

Now, somewhere on your screen should be a layers tab. On this select the layer with the logo on it and change the mode. You can scroll through these until you find one which nicely blends the logo into the texture Smiley
    (I can't really explain layer properties very well...)

Also, This topic should have really gone into the help section (Unless you are going to turn this into a texture showcase thread)

(specter)
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 03:37:50 PM »

Ok, basically get your eraser brush and carefully remove the white outline from around the logo. Then either using a smudge or blur tool, go around the very edges of it.

Now, somewhere on your screen should be a layers tab. On this select the layer with the logo on it and change the mode. You can scroll through these until you find one which nicely blends the logo into the texture Smiley
    (I can't really explain layer properties very well...)

Also, This topic should have really gone into the help section (Unless you are going to turn this into a texture showcase thread)

Whatever; I'll figure something out. Thanks for trying to help, though. I'll try the layer thing, though.

I tried something different this time; I copied a bigger circle and pasted it over the white one so I could cover the shadows too, which I believe are the main problems. I set the blur rate to 100 -- the highest it goes -- and when you zoom out it looks really good. You can still kind of see traces of edit, but it looks a lot better than any of the images above.  

I think the problem is the shadows and such. When I copy somewhere else on his hat that doesn't have the same shadow as the white area it's not going to look right no matter what I do. No matter how much I blur it still looks like a sticker or something because you can see the edges of the circle; it doesn't look like it's part of the hat, it just looks like someone put a sticker to cover the "L" and the white circle it's in. 

Also, how do you produce high quality textures? I've seen some custom textures with unbelievable HD textures.

Well then I guess a mod can move this topic. I figured since it was about texture hacking it would go in the texture hacking thread; it's only common sense.
    « Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 03:39:31 PM by (specter) » Logged

JBG
    Semi-Retired Crumudgeon
    Special Access

• Awards Starstormer Super Saiyan Topic Renowned Hacker Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 11:06:43 AM »

@DrPanda: I'm not following you at all. Clean off what outline? Blur what edges? And what do you mean use layer properties? Remember in the OP I stated I'm a super noob with GFX so try to explain this stuff in laymans terms to me. I'm sorry but I just don't know that much about GFX making and whatnot (but I know some).

A tablet is like a mouse that you use a pen for. It's basically like...well it's kind of hard to explain. Basically it's like a stylus, which makes drawing much easier for the computer. It's how I do half of my textures.

(specter)
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 11:13:33 AM »

A tablet is like a mouse that you use a pen for. It's basically like...well it's kind of hard to explain. Basically it's like a stylus, which makes drawing much easier for the computer. It's how I do half of my textures.

Oh. I never heard of that before.

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: