Brawlbox Resources & History

Started by BlackJax96, December 14, 2010, 03:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

I tried a regular bone chain with inverse kinematics and it ended up being upside down like the biped, so just a heads up. I suppose it doesn't matter since it can't import animations anyway. :P

Edit: I know I'm pretty late to the party on this one but JEEZ these animation tools are amazing  :laugh:
If you've got a minute, check out my portfolio!
I'm always lookin' for fun projects to do, so if you think you'd want my help, just let me know!
I do all of my own modeling, texturing, rigging, and animating.

someone can tell me how to converte .3ds to .dae

i got a model of a Gotenks Ghost in that file format
I Dont Take Requests & Dont Do Brawl Mods anymore Maybe Sm4sh modz later

Quote from: Gotenks on July 11, 2011, 08:52:24 AM
someone can tell me how to converte .obj to .dae

i got a model of a Gotenks Ghost in that file format

Do you have 3ds max or a modeling program of some kind? If not I'd be happy to convert that for ya. I don't think there's an external program to convert it to Collada, so you'll definitely need a modeling program if ya wanna do it yourself.
If you've got a minute, check out my portfolio!
I'm always lookin' for fun projects to do, so if you think you'd want my help, just let me know!
I do all of my own modeling, texturing, rigging, and animating.

Quote from: Justin712 on July 11, 2011, 09:09:13 AMDo you have 3ds max or a modeling program of some kind? If not I'd be happy to convert that for ya. I don't think there's an external program to convert it to Collada, so you'll definitely need a modeling program if ya wanna do it yourself.
i got 3ds max 2010 :D
I Dont Take Requests & Dont Do Brawl Mods anymore Maybe Sm4sh modz later

Quote from: Gotenks on July 11, 2011, 09:16:33 AM
i got 3ds max 2010 :D

Perfect, ya got the autodesk collada format and everything. Go to file import, and I'm not 100% sure if you can import obj without a plugin, but go ahead and check if it's in there.

We should probably move this over to the chat.
If you've got a minute, check out my portfolio!
I'm always lookin' for fun projects to do, so if you think you'd want my help, just let me know!
I do all of my own modeling, texturing, rigging, and animating.

thanks i try that
i got  autodesk collada plugin and etc. and i can import obj
I Dont Take Requests & Dont Do Brawl Mods anymore Maybe Sm4sh modz later

Quote from: Justin712 on July 11, 2011, 01:25:07 AM
Again, the problems with importing probably has nothing to do with you being on a 64-bit OS. As I said before, I'm on 64-bit Windows 7 and it's working fine. Stop using OpenCollada and it should work fine if you switch the nodes.

Although BlackJax96 said this might not always work, it's worked for me every time, so I'd still give it a try. I honestly don't think he should worry about the problem since it's clearly the DAE being imported and not the OS.

...Then again, he did say he could import the OpenCollada format just fine, so if the OS IS the reason you can't import OC DAEs, then just use a different plugin. It's that easy.

Those using 3ds Max 8 can get the Autodesk FBX + Collada exporter here: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=10204944

3ds max 9 and up should have the autodesk collada export built in.
I use the AutoDesk plugin for both 3dsmax8 and 2010 and both don't import (properly).
The errors I'm having isn't because I keep using OpenCollada.
So it isn't that easy.

Quote from: ds22 on July 11, 2011, 09:32:03 AM
I use the AutoDesk plugin for both 3dsmax8 and 2010 and both don't import (properly).
The errors I'm having isn't because I keep using OpenCollada.
So it isn't that easy.

Like I said, if it still won't import properly you still need to use the node switch. Here's a tutorial:

(If you aren't getting an exception when you import, and instead simply can't see your model in the preview, it's very likely you just need to zoom out a lot. The scale can be a little messed up for Max -> Collada.)

Right click any of the images and copy the image location or hit view image to zoom in.

Things you'll need:
3ds Max 7 or higher (Those with 3ds Max 7 or 8 can find the link to the autodesk collada exporter in the opening post) and Notepad++

1. Open your model up in 3ds Max - any version 7 or higher should work - and collapse any modifiers you have by converting it to an editable mesh. Next make a skeleton (even just one bone is fine) and use the skin modifier to attach it to the bone(s). It must be the skin modifer, physique is not supported and they're practically the same tool anyway.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


2. Export your model as the Autodesk Collada format. (COLLADA is the Feeling Collada format. If you use this instead you can still node switch it fine, but the Y and the Z axis will be switched around resulting in your model being rotated strangely. As mentioned previously OpenCollada doesn't import smoothly 90% of the time.)

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


3. Export the model with these settings. As stated by BlackJax96, it must be triangulated, a single matrix, with
skins and deformations checked. Since Brawl uses the Y-up coordinate system set this accordingly.

NOTE: Animation should actually be unchecked. I figured it didn't matter, but for some reason on one model it didn't allow me to import because of this. The picture is wrong in that regard!

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


4. Next we're going to do the node switch fix. Open up your DAE in Notepad++ (you can download it for free if you don't have it), as regular notepad is far too difficult to work with for this step.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


5. Scroll to the bottom and you will find the <library visual scenes> section. Depending on how many bones you have, this section can be very long, but as long as your mesh is only one object you shouldn't have much trouble doing the next step.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


6. Put the <node> [model] </node> section underneath the <node> [bone/joint] </node> section. In this case my model is named Box01, so I moved that section underneath the bone section.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


7. Save the edited DAE and import it into BrawlBox. To do this, open up BrawlBox and go to file and create a new BRRES. Right click the newly created file and go to import model. Browse for your model and right click and preview it after it is imported. Due to 3ds max's scale, it's pretty likely you'll have to zoom out quite a bit. Hold shift and use the mouse wheel to zoom out faster.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


And there you have it!
If you've got a minute, check out my portfolio!
I'm always lookin' for fun projects to do, so if you think you'd want my help, just let me know!
I do all of my own modeling, texturing, rigging, and animating.

hmm...

so because DAE is such a touchy format,
maybe I would be better off converting to blend or 3ds...

btw, MDL0 has the potential to be an extremely detailed format.
I'm going to work on a way to render fur using an MDL0...

but that's best saved for later >_>

EDIT:
*offers cake to DS22* ;D

[spoiler]Quote: Friedslick6
you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.
But the coolest part was that you didn't stop working on it despite that.

Quote: Internet Explorer
you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

quote: Greg
You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

sry for D-post :(

ummdidn't that one mole boss from SMG have fur??

if anyone knows where his files are,
could you PM them to me :/

I don't have any free space on my 232GB HDD to hold the full ISO T_T

EDIT:
I hope I'm not bamf-ing the rules in this post...
I don't think I am though...

I'm just asking for file data is all >_>

[spoiler]Quote: Friedslick6
you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.
But the coolest part was that you didn't stop working on it despite that.

Quote: Internet Explorer
you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

quote: Greg
You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

I'm sorry if this has been addressed already, but in BrawlBox, what happened to the instant updating of the bone position when you adjust it by the numbers & the ability to hold shift to move it by 1 instead of .1? I liked that in the older modset.

Otherwise, this is awesome. Thank you so much.


There is no power quite like the power of understanding.

Quote from: Justin712 on July 11, 2011, 09:33:15 AM
Like I said, if it still won't import properly you still need to use the node switch. Here's a tutorial:

(If you aren't getting an exception when you import, and instead simply can't see your model in the preview, it's very likely you just need to zoom out a lot. The scale can be a little messed up for Max -> Collada.)

Right click any of the images and copy the image location or hit view image to zoom in.

Things you'll need:
3ds Max 7 or higher (Those with 3ds Max 7 or 8 can find the link to the autodesk collada exporter in the opening post) and Notepad++

1. Open your model up in 3ds Max - any version 7 or higher should work - and collapse any modifiers you have by converting it to an editable mesh. Next make a skeleton (even just one bone is fine) and use the skin modifier to attach it to the bone(s). It must be the skin modifer, physique is not supported and they're practically the same tool anyway.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


2. Export your model as the Autodesk Collada format. (COLLADA is the Feeling Collada format. If you use this instead you can still node switch it fine, but the Y and the Z axis will be switched around resulting in your model being rotated strangely. As mentioned previously OpenCollada doesn't import smoothly 90% of the time.)

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


3. Export the model with these settings. As stated by BlackJax96, it must be triangulated, a single matrix, with
skins and deformations checked. Since Brawl uses the Y-up coordinate system set this accordingly.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


4. Next we're going to do the node switch fix. Open up your DAE in Notepad++ (you can download it for free if you don't have it), as regular notepad is far too difficult to work with for this step.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


5. Scroll to the bottom and you will find the <library visual scenes> section. Depending on how many bones you have, this section can be very long, but as long as your mesh is only one object you shouldn't have much trouble doing the next step.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


6. Put the <node> [model] </node> section underneath the <node> [bone/joint] </node> section. In this case my model is named Box01, so I moved that section underneath the bone section.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


7. Save the edited DAE and import it into BrawlBox. To do this, open up BrawlBox and go to file and create a new BRRES. Right click the newly created file and go to import model. Browse for your model and right click and preview it after it is imported. Due to 3ds max's scale, it's pretty likely you'll have to zoom out quite a bit. Hold shift and use the mouse wheel to zoom out faster.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


And there you have it!
I'm not getting the <node> [model] </node> section at all when I open my exported .DAE's.
You know what, if I send you my .max scene to you and you try to export it from 3DSMAX and import it in BBox and see if it works?
Because the model I'm working on is a rig of a Brawl skeleton onto a non Brawl model, there might something of.

@Tcll
*eats cake*
I thank you for this delicious cake. :)

no prob ^_^

and btw, happy B-Day :D

[spoiler]Quote: Friedslick6
you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.
But the coolest part was that you didn't stop working on it despite that.

Quote: Internet Explorer
you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

quote: Greg
You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

Quote from: haloedhero on July 11, 2011, 02:16:55 PM
I'm sorry if this has been addressed already, but in BrawlBox, what happened to the instant updating of the bone position when you adjust it by the numbers & the ability to hold shift to move it by 1 instead of .1? I liked that in the older modset.

Otherwise, this is awesome. Thank you so much.

Sure, I can add that in :)

Quote from: ds22 on July 11, 2011, 02:51:02 PM
I'm not getting the <node> [model] </node> section at all when I open my exported .DAE's.
You know what, if I send you my .max scene to you and you try to export it from 3DSMAX and import it in BBox and see if it works?
Because the model I'm working on is a rig of a Brawl skeleton onto a non Brawl model, there might something of.

@Tcll
*eats cake*
I thank you for this delicious cake. :)

If you don't have the model section, it's like you don't even have a mesh O_o

btw, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!1 *gives a pack of those colorful sugar cookies with the frosting on top that taste epic*

Quote from: Justin712 on July 11, 2011, 09:33:15 AM
*epic tutorial*

Epic tutorial is epic! This should help a lot of people out.

Well, I'm not getting it.
I don't know if you do get it when trying to export this particular model.