Brawlbox Resources & History

Started by BlackJax96, December 14, 2010, 03:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

summer's 6 days IN for me
Quote from: Miacis on February 19, 2014, 01:06:26 AM
I know for a fact that the vast majority of the public here cares more about free products than actual quality.
I mean, we're kinda modding an old Wii game after like 6 years, instead of buying new stuff. That's pretty telling. :P


I'm off uni right now myself for this entire month and most of next month, with the exception of a week of exams I have starting on the 14th.
Quote from: BlackJax96 on June 06, 2012, 11:53:31 PM
It's most likely possible using indirect textures and special shader settings, but I haven't come across any factory MDL0s that actually use bump maps for normals so there's not really a way to copy the correct settings.
This looks like a mystery for RTB!

wouldnt it be possible to set it up correctly if someone knew how bump maps exactly work out of mdl0s?
bump maps would be amazing to have in brawl

June 07, 2012, 11:05:20 AM #10639 Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 02:40:39 PM by RandomTBush
Quote from: TommoPuppy on June 07, 2012, 04:11:47 AMThis looks like a mystery for RTB!
Pick any of TMNT: Smash-Up's character models. They use a form of bumpmap -- the texture is the red channel from a normal bumpmap, and the alpha is the green channel.

There's also a normal RGB bumpmap used for some of Kirby: Return to Dream Land's effects (namely Mike), but the shader itself is invalid in Brawl and doesn't work.

Quote from: RandomTBush on June 07, 2012, 11:05:20 AM
Pick any of TMNT: Smash-Up's character models. They use a form of bumpmap -- the texture is the red channel from a normal bumpmap, and the alpha is the green channel.

There's also a normal RGB bumpmap used for some of Kirby: Return to Dream Land's effects (namely Mike), but the shader itself is invalid in Brawl and doesn't work.
maybe u and BJ could figure a way to make em work for brawl? o.o
https://privateladyescorts.com - Free Local Dating - No Selfie - Anonymous Casual Dating -   Video Chat Private Lady

I thought the RGB ones were considered to be normal maps and greyscale ones being bump maps. That's how I always saw it. Of course in the end they're the same thing, just processed and stored differently.

Quote from: Lost DSX8 on June 07, 2012, 11:30:38 AM
maybe u and BJ could figure a way to make em work for brawl? o.o
Quote from: TommoPuppy on June 07, 2012, 02:26:25 PM
Of course in the end they're the same thing, just processed and stored differently.
Do I see a possibility?
3DS FC: 5370-0958-4818
Wii U NNID: Doraleus

Quote from: TommoPuppy on June 07, 2012, 02:26:25 PM
I thought the RGB ones were considered to be normal maps and greyscale ones being bump maps. That's how I always saw it. Of course in the end they're the same thing, just processed and stored differently.

the colored maps are... darn forgot the name, i think its called diff or something, but those are the basic bitmap, and on top of that one the renderer places both bump and specular maps, which affect lighting and shading, and give plane polygons the look of sculpt objects

Quote from: TommoPuppy on June 07, 2012, 02:26:25 PM
I thought the RGB ones were considered to be normal maps and greyscale ones being bump maps. That's how I always saw it. Of course in the end they're the same thing, just processed and stored differently.
Pretty much. "Bump maps" are apparently just greyscaled images (1D), and "normal maps" are the three-coloured ones (RGB). So what would that make the greyscale/alpha maps (2D) then...?

oh darn, i think i misspelled, i think i was meaning the normal maps... are those the pinkish ones?
ow im confused xD

The ones that have the texture are called diffuse if I remember correctly. Specular maps are the grayscaled ones and The pinkish weird maps are the normal maps. Or so I remember :P

Has anyone written down the basic steps to adding a new data format? I think it would be nice to have support for the MiscData[7] files for All-Star mode.

Now I just need to get the axis snaps working right.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


I've also been messing around with quaternions for a while too. I've got a bunch of different ways to convert Euler to Quat and then back to Euler, so I should be able to get them working soon. Using quaternions is better than Euler because:
- The axes are world relative, not local, so the axes will always face x y and z in world coords not relative to the parent bone.
- There's no gimbal lock when you rotate. (Gimbal lock is when the rotation goes nuts randomly because the axes cross)
- They're better for interpolation, which I want to use for custom IK animating & the Kinect tracking thing.

Moveset rebuilder is meh (it's just progressing really slowly atm) and I'm editing the primitive manager again to handle tristrips and trifans instead of convert them all into triangles.

Quote from: libertyernie on June 07, 2012, 11:03:38 PM
Has anyone written down the basic steps to adding a new data format? I think it would be nice to have support for the MiscData[7] files for All-Star mode.
What you need to do is create a node is add the TryParse function to it to check the hex tag, override the OnInitialize function and the OnPopulate function if it has children, create a struct for the header, and then use a property to convert WorkingUncompressed.Address to your structure so you can easily retrieve values you want.

Just look at code for any existing node. It's pretty repetitive stuff.