Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Black Screen of Death  (Read 2328 times)
AndIQuote
Mega Kitten

Forever a Game Boy (Color)

View Profile Awards
« on: May 08, 2011, 07:46:36 PM »

I've been hacking into Brawl for several weeks now with great success, thanks to all the helpful guides I've found on here.  However, I began to have some trouble a couple of nights ago when the game would crash every time I moved a cursor over Peach's icon in the character selection screen.  This wasn't terrible as I could still play with other characters perfectly fine, but the next night I tried the game got no further than the little spinning brawl icon on the loading screen before showing a blank, black screen.  I spend all afternoon today trying to figure out if it was a messed-up file, but even after deleting my BrawlBox-edited CSS and SSS from my SD card (and practically every other file that didn't involve Gecko, the Homebrew Channel, or a few texture hacks just to make sure it worked assuming I got past the screen) I still got the "black screen of death."

On a side note, I'm pretty sure it messed up my first (2 GB) SD card the first night I got "the screen." I used an almost-empty 1 GB SD the next time I tried.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or knows how to fix it?
Thanks in advance!

SmashHackers
Extreme Kitten

• Awards Hot Topic Starstormer Dedicated Hacker Ninja

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 08:14:08 PM »

I've been hacking into Brawl for several weeks now with great success, thanks to all the helpful guides I've found on here.  However, I began to have some trouble a couple of nights ago when the game would crash every time I moved a cursor over Peach's icon in the character selection screen.  This wasn't terrible as I could still play with other characters perfectly fine, but the next night I tried the game got no further than the little spinning brawl icon on the loading screen before showing a blank, black screen.  I spend all afternoon today trying to figure out if it was a messed-up file, but even after deleting my BrawlBox-edited CSS and SSS from my SD card (and practically every other file that didn't involve Gecko, the Homebrew Channel, or a few texture hacks just to make sure it worked assuming I got past the screen) I still got the "black screen of death."

On a side note, I'm pretty sure it messed up my first (2 GB) SD card the first night I got "the screen." I used an almost-empty 1 GB SD the next time I tried.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or knows how to fix it?
    Thanks in advance!
    My suggestion is, if its not too big a deal, clear your entire SD Card. That will probably fix it right there.

Tabuu Forte Akugun
    Boss Kitten

Smash 4 Main: Bowser

• Awards Heart Container Famous Hacker Starstormer Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 08:36:35 PM »

Do you have any hacks over Peach? Usually, freezing when hovering over a character's pic means that a hacked pac is corrupted/too big/over the wrong character.

DTST
    Lol Kitten

Please don't be femtwo

• Awards Featured Hot Topic Dedicated Hacker 128-bit Core Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 05:05:32 AM »

Having a corrupt PAC and psc file or oversized csp 's can freeze

Click here to find out how to be the best PSA maker in the universe.

AndIQuote
    Mega Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 04:23:40 PM »

I cleared the SD card (and put a few hacks back on, of course) but it didn't seem to have any effect.  I think it probably does have something to do with the pac and psc files.
    This is a stupid question, but is it possible to have too many hacks on a character?  Because I have a LOT of hacks on a LOT of characters.

zigheart
    Supreme Kitten

• Awards Famous Hacker >9000 Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 04:38:32 PM »

I cleared the SD card (and put a few hacks back on, of course) but it didn't seem to have any effect.  I think it probably does have something to do with the pac and psc files.
    This is a stupid question, but is it possible to have too many hacks on a character?  Because I have a LOT of hacks on a LOT of characters.
    u can fill up the entire roster with hacks i've done it. remove ALL of ur hacks completely from the sd card and don't put them back yet. put on the character hacks one char at a time (ex. all wario hacks only) start the game  and see if it freezes. if not take out the sd card (u can leave brawl running) then move on and add a new char's hacks. repeat till it freezes then u will have the character that is causing issues.

My mind is like lightning, one brilliant flash and it's gone...
    Remember brawlbox 0.64b DOES NOT WORK! download .63 or under or it will give you problems later.
    Download to .63 modset: http://www.mediafire.com/?ud5s402d8u6ad6k#

Springboy64
    Expert Kitten

Meow Meow

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 05:27:30 PM »

Do you have a common_5.pac or common_3.pac because thats what often causes lack screens for me.

Meowmeow~~~
    So excited for Tales of Xillia!

spiritpyros
    Extreme Kitten

justice will prevail

• Awards Star Hacker >9000 Favorite'd Ninja

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 06:08:36 PM »

It may be a problem with the gct

AndIQuote
    Mega Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 08:29:25 PM »

Well, I fixed it.  It turned out to be Roo25's Geno recolors for Lucas.  Thanks everyone for all your advice!

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: