Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Poll
Question: Which is your favourite codeset?
Brawl+
Balanced Brawl
Brawl-
Project M
vBrawl (regular Brawl)

Pages:  [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Your Favourite Brawl Codeset  (Read 15178 times)
SiLeNtDo0m
Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
Overlord Kitten

WHAT IN TARNATION?!

• Awards Former PMDT Featured Heart Container >9000

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « on: May 26, 2011, 03:31:42 AM »

A simple poll, but a slightly more serious one (sorry guys, no Filler Option™  this time Wink)

Which codeset is your favourite and why?  I've also added the option for vBrawl if you don't particularly care for any of them.  My favourite is Brawl- because it's fun, offers a new twist to Brawl, has loads of cool Easter eggs and is actually pretty dang balanced.  I could probably write an essay on why Brawl- rocks (hence why I made the topic before), but I'll just keep it to the point.

Here's also what I think about the other mods:

Brawl+: It, to be perfectly honest, never interested me and the popularity of it seems to have dipped considerably.  I have full regards to the people who worked on it, because it's basically the mother of all complex Brawl codesets but to me it just doesn't truly exceed in any area (except for maybe professionalism, which both vBrawl and, in the future anyways, Project M exceed/will exceed it in).

Project M: Speaking of such, this is a sort of mixed bag for me.  On one hand, it's fantastic that they're bringing back loads of the mechanics from Melee, as well as giving some really nice new tweaks to the newcomers.  On the other hand, I really dislike how they are recloning characters to back how they were in Melee.  One of the things that Brawl undeniably succeeded in over Melee was decloning characters to make them feel different.  However, for Project M, it's pretty early days.  It hasn't quite had enough development yet to give it a full critique.

Balanced Brawl: Ah good ol' Balanced Brawl.  How I am thankful for you.  Your beauty in your simplicity.  A simple objective of merely trying to balance the cast.  They didn't change any of vBrawl's mechanics, just refined character and stage balance and to an EXTENT they succeeded.  It's extremely difficult to do perfectly balance a character cast.  In fact I'd go as far as to say it's impossible.  But they did a good job.  Understandably though, it's been rather overshadowed by other codesets because it doesn't offer anything very new.

vBrawl: And of course we have regular Brawl.  You will always have a place in my heart.  You stole many hours of my life away.  There's not much point in talking about this, since we all know what it is.

Puraidou
    The one and only
    Social Kitten

• Awards Hey! Listen! PC Core Gamer Heart Container 128-bit Core Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 03:50:52 AM »

Brawl-: When i found this i fell in love with it the first time i played it, I love every aspect they used to make this version fun to play. This is and will remain my favorite version of Brawl

Brawl+: Basically what sDo0m said.

Project M: Never wanted it, never will. I prefer the vBrawl over Project M. Melee graphics are outdated to me and don't need to come back.

Balanced Brawl: Never played it but to be honest it doesn't tempt me to play it either, i'm more of a overpowered PSA kind of guy and balanced is.. not really my territory xD

vBrawl: Good old friend vBrawl, how i still play online with this. I still enjoy the fights i play except the ones with too much spam xD
    « Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 03:59:43 AM by Black Ace Puraidou » Logged

slayermarth101
    Child of Prophecy
    Heroic Kitten

Marth is my main main. >:D

• Awards Rising Restorer Super Saiyan Topic Renowned Hacker Favorite'd

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 04:44:32 PM »

Project M won't have the melee graphics...it has brawl graphics but It brought back Roy and 6 melee stages and gave the newcoming brawl characters better movesets, for example it brought back fox and falco's down B..the project M that's In the vault is not the real...trust me because I have the project M alpha(the real project M thats unreleased and they say they are still working on it but its finished they just haven't released it yet)

project M is best for many reasons..you'll find out when they release it

OmegaMalkior
    Lol Kitten

Back to normal.

• Awards Heart Container Starstormer Dedicated Hacker Staff Helper

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 04:53:07 PM »

Brawl-: Epic codeset, best of them all!

Brawl+: At first I was like "meh", but I go used to it so it's pretty good.

Project M: HATE IT, everything is just done so wrong. My only interest is a new Roy slot. Everything else is just a waste of time [/troll] although I do appreciate their hard work they put in it.

Balanced Brawl: Never used it before, I only use Onslaught's and Crazies

vBrawl: Always did like that for online gameplay. But, needs a few improvements.

SSBB FC:0775-8556-4547
    SSBB Name: Omega
    SSBB hack matches: If you want to Brawl with me with PSAs/textures please use these. If you want to add anything just PM me. Fixed the desync problem!
    SSBB rank: I don't even know
    Additional Smileys that KC-MM doesn't have or are hidden:

Xyless
    Advanced Kitten

Brawl Minus Co-Leader

• Awards Hyperactive Contributor

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 11:04:58 AM »

Brawl+ 5.0 will always be my favorite mod (though all it needed was a Ness fair nerf and a couple of other tiny fixes).

Of the current released versions, I have to go with Minus for...obvious reasons.

Choosing between P:M and BB is harder than you'd think for me, since I keep in touch with the main dev behind BB.  I really liked their design process (keeping the development primarily between two people), but I think they got screwed over by two things: a poor name choice (made the mod sound very vanilla, which it was, but still), and being around the same time as Brawl+.  The name thing is related to Brawl+, because Brawl+ automatically made it sound like an improvement and expansion.

I think I'd still have to go with P:M over BB, simply due to the amount of work they've put into some of the characters, as well as the stages.  I don't honestly care for most of the changes they've made, similar to SDoom's view on it.  But not many of us would really know the current progress they've made, so who knows, maybe they'll improve from their demo release.

And vBrawl I've never had a problem with, though if I had preference, I'd play Minus instead always.  Going back from Minus always feels like things are missing, especially with Marth, Zelda, and Bowser.
    « Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 11:06:55 AM by Xyless » Logged

DoctorFlux(Mariodk)
    Never Gonna Give You Up

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Heart Container KCMM 2012 Awards Winner >9000

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 11:15:56 AM »

Brawl- ofc Grin (i am really close to make SMBZ mario Brawl Minus Version soon Cheesy)
    Project: M is fine since this is the only reason we getting more slots and etc.

Vbrawl is also good Grin

I Dont Take Requests & Dont Do Brawl Mods anymore Maybe Sm4sh modz later

BlackRainNFire
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 12:15:38 PM »

Brawl-: before I tried this mod, I thought it would be too silly to be taken seriously.  I always hated the OP PSA's, seeing no point in them, and I sort of assumed minus would have a similar feel. Once I tried it out though... instead of seeing stupidly overpowered characters, I saw insanely unique playstyles.  Yeah, they buffed every character and gave them a gimmick, but the buff's and gimmicks are UNIQUE TO THEM, and it's surprisingly balanced. I've always felt that the main appeal of Melee was that everyone was broken in their own unique way. Brawl- does this, and it does it better. The mod also succeeds in making every move for each character practical, which is always a plus in my eyes. I think this is the ideal mod since it's extremely fun for casual players, while having an absurd amount of depth to it for competitive players (which was a surprise to me). Minus is hands down my favorite mod.

Brawl+: I liked this mod more than vBrawl and BBrawl when those were the only alternatives, but they were too conservative. I prefer the higher hitstun / lack of ability to cancel hitstun into moves / dodges, and I approve of the increased spead of the game, but it just isn't anything special. I still play it only to use solid PSA's (Geno, Zero, Metal Sonic, Athena, Megaman and Naruto)... since as far as I know, none of them have a minus version of these.

PM: It was what I looked forward to most and hoped for most, originally, but I honestly don't care anymore now that I've fallen in love with minus.  I will likely play this on occasion, and I do really appreciate that the clone engine might come out as a result of the mod.

BB: eh... I'm just no interested in a game that doesn't change how hitstun works... as this is probably the main reason I did not like vBrawl.

LC-DDM
    Not your average sprite!
    Special Access

Voted "Best Guest for Campfires".

• Awards Heart Container Good Citizen KCMM Veteran 128-bit Pro Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 01:01:44 PM »

vBrawl forever with my own codeset. Screw the others trying to box in how the game should feel, hacking should make the game free as a bird, not be confined within a box of how others think it should play.

BBrawl is nice if you'd rather keep the original feel of Brawl without having to deal with some of the stuff vB had the mistake of keeping (like Snake's Up Tilt disjointed box)

B+ is vB if it were run by tourneytards wanting to keep Brawl feel like Brawl.

B- is vB doing the opposite of B+ but still keeping it playable.

P:M is Melee 2.0 done by tourneytards that can't move on from a dead game, and are too underbrained to broaden their horizons.

Grammar is necessary. Butchering your language isn't. If you don't have time to correct yourself, I don't have time to read your post.
    Your compilation pack is as useless as your quest for approval, and I pity both.

Climaxing to a jump scare would be pretty great.

♤♡◇♧
    The Corrupted
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Fiery Topic Pin Collector Active Contributor Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 01:14:10 PM »

Psycho Mantis, you are just so wrong about P:M.

Gigan X3
    Mega Kitten

I'M STILL WAITING FOR BRAWL MASQUERADE!

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 02:05:58 PM »

vBrawl forever with my own codeset. Screw the others trying to box in how the game should feel, hacking should make the game free as a bird, not be confined within a box of how others think it should play.

BBrawl is nice if you'd rather keep the original feel of Brawl without having to deal with some of the stuff vB had the mistake of keeping (like Snake's Up Tilt disjointed box)

B+ is vB if it were run by tourneytards wanting to keep Brawl feel like Brawl.

B- is vB doing the opposite of B+ but still keeping it playable.

P:M is Melee 2.0 done by tourneytards that can't move on from a dead game, and are too underbrained to broaden their horizons.

You are as much of a close-minded person as the people you describe, spitting names around just like that, anyway.

I prefer Brawl+ it's everything I hoped Brawl to be, it is faster, it's got combos and it balanced the cast without going too Melee, so yeah, I keep B+ to play for hours with my friends.

Brawl- is fun for a while but once we try all the gimmicks it gets a bit annoying.

Balanced Brawl I'm interested in playing but I haven't yet, it looks really good.

Project Melee: Hmm...I'm not particularly interested in it since I'd rather play real Melee( My favorite Smash Bros. ) instead of a game hacked to play like the real deal but I do see how people could like to play what could have been Melee 2.0, the game that was to come instead of Brawl originally. I'll give it a try eventually to be fair but I'm no fan of the clones and the Melee airdodge.

SiLeNtDo0m
    Overlord Kitten

WHAT IN TARNATION?!

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 02:09:23 PM »

You are as much of a close-minded person as the people you describe, spitting names around just like that, anyway.

I prefer Brawl+ it's everything I hoped Brawl to be, it is faster, it's got combos and it balanced the cast without going too Melee, so yeah, I keep B+ to play for hours with my friends.

Brawl- is fun for a while but once we try all the gimmicks it gets a bit annoying.

Balanced Brawl I'm interested in playing but I haven't yet, it looks really good.

Project Melee: Hmm...I'm not particularly interested in it since I'd rather play real Melee( My favorite Smash Bros. ) instead of a game hacked to play like the real deal but I do see how people could like to play what could have been Melee 2.0, the game that was to come instead of Brawl originally. I'll give it a try eventually to be fair but I'm no fan of the clones and the Melee airdodge.

So we now have our first Brawl+ voter ^^

And that's just LC.  His opinion is his opinion.  He kinda likes to overly exaggerate and over-enforce it all the time sometimes.   

Xyless
    Advanced Kitten

Brawl Minus Co-Leader

• Awards Hyperactive Contributor

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 02:19:33 PM »

This pretty much sums up my issue with...well, mostly with the name of the project.  To be honest, P:M has a lot of potential, considering they have pretty much the top people of each field (Dantarion for codes, Mewtwo2000 for stages, some really good animators, and so on), but the name screams  to be something that isn't original, which really hampers their design directions and makes people turned off, because hey, it's pretty much Project Melee, even if they want to remove the reference to Melee by simply calling it "M".

Having had the opportunity to try out a behind-the-scenes build a few months ago, I have to say that the "new" characters like Lucas, Wario, ROB, and Snake, are surprisingly well conceptualized (though some needed retooling), but the "old" characters like Falco, Marth, and Peach felt like they downgraded in creativity.  Instead of thinking "what can we do to make this character more interesting", those high tier characters felt like they were copied and pasted straight from Melee.  However, some exceptions, like Zelda, have been modified to be far more fun to play.

Though I'm sure Project M will wind up being the most covered mod either way.

Infernape
    Holy Kitten

I have Eye Goals

• Awards Famous Hacker Super Saiyan Topic Dedicated Hacker Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 02:20:59 PM »

Balanced Brawl...

Memorable Quotes:
    Quote from: ItalianStallion
    Nobody posted the pic of the day? Im shocked lol usually u [censored]s fight over it.

SiLeNtDo0m
    Overlord Kitten

WHAT IN TARNATION?!

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 02:36:46 PM »

Balanced Brawl...

There had to be someone who can't read...

Which codeset is your favourite and why? 

Gigan X3
    Mega Kitten

I'M STILL WAITING FOR BRAWL MASQUERADE!

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 03:02:54 PM »

So we now have our first Brawl+ voter ^^

Yes, why thank you (:

I'm sure I'm not alone as it proved to be quite the success around here, I've got many friends who play it regularly and so on :]

but the "old" characters like Falco, Marth, and Peach felt like they downgraded in creativity.  Instead of thinking "what can we do to make this character more interesting", those high tier characters felt like they were copied and pasted straight from Melee.  

This is my turn-off, I love what they made to the clones and some characters in Brawl and remaking their Melee movesets pretty much means doing a step back in my opinion instead of variety.

Pages:  [1] 2 3
    Print
    Jump to: