Board Problems, Suggestions and Updates

Started by Miacis, September 12, 2009, 11:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.


Agreed Oizen. Look I know I wasn't a big part of the community in terms of posting on the forums, but I tried to contribute my work here with quality. It took years to learn the ways of brawl modding. Its a real shame to see this site gathering dust as is. I don't know what I can do to help but I'd love to get behind a plan to bring together a Smash 4 Vault.

In my opinion, I think that if we expanded BrawlBox to be able to handle Smash 4 models as efficiently as it handles Brawl models, then word would spread like wildfire, and they'd also be reminded of Brawl's awesome modding capabilities, as well.

My Main Speculations:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

January 30, 2017, 12:49:56 AM #3123 Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:52:01 AM by Miacis
Seeing as I'm part of the staff, I should probably answer at least the things that concern me first, then adress some of the more general issues.

I fully admit having mostly deserted the site. This comes from a variety of reasons, one of which being my life taking a couple bad turns in 2015, forcing me to refocus my priorities. Seeing as my last major interaction with the SSBB hacking community resulted in a no-joke panic attack, this place logically was the first to go. I know it's unconsequential to the large scope of the site, but I did legitimately feel bad about dropping the Gaming Challenge. In hindsight, I probably should have left it for good and resigned, but at the time, it seemed like a very temporary break.
I've tried to get back into the loop now that things have calmed down irl, but it's mostly been limited to hanging around the KCMM Discord Chat. I do intend to become more active again, but not right now.

I'd be pretty hype for seeing a new forum layout though! We don't have any real graphic artists in the team anymore, after Jack H left and SJS became inactive, so any contributions would be a huge help.

Also no, Vyse has not abandoned the Vault's development, but as mentionned, it's a difficult situation when he's the one in the staff who supports us both financially with a job, and on the entire technical side of things. We're gonna try harder to find a way out of that deadend... It's a shame there has to be a big outburst before things start moving, and I really apologize for that.
We do care about this website though. We may be lazy, or busy, or incomptent, but neither uncaring nor ungrateful. Not with this community.
Round and round the signature goes ~
~ where it stops, nobody knows.

While I'm not a graphic designer, and therefore can't create stuff from scratch, I'm decent enough at editing pictures and such to be able to make these icons updated, including incorporating into some of the icons(For example, the icon that is at the top of the website, showing all the characters) Smash 4 in addition to Brawl. But yeah, I could easily update a lot of those to look nicer and more modern. I am super-busy, right now though, so it would be multiple months before I could create any, but I'd be happy to upload any of my finished icon edits as .png files.(And these would be in the exact same dimensions as the current ones, with alpha, of course[if applicable])

Also, if you could get the donate button back up, I'd be happy to donate every once in a while(I must admit, I can't donate much at all, since I'm more or less broke atm), but I can only pay with PayPal, so if you could have it be compatible with paying through PayPal, I'd be much obliged.

Also, is there anything technical that I could help out with, so that Vyse isn't killing himself and tearing his hair out? I have little knowledge about HTML, knowing only the very basics, and know a bunch in Java, if that background helps, and I have been told that I'm technical.

P.S. You guys are neither lazy or incompetent, just very busy.  And I feel you.

I stopped posting on the forums for some time already, but there is a few things Ive been meaning to speak about this situation.

And yes I know the majority of the topic involved the "Forum" and not the "Vault", but I feel like posting the matter here may switch certain perspectives.

Brawl Modding isnt dead, and it will not die anytime soon. Allow me to present evidence:

1) Take a look at this:
https://puu.sh/tG7JY/46c9bc0fb3.txt

This is a ongoing restore log, from a discord server Im in that serves as a Brawl Vault Community Support but for Discord. So far its been pretty successful because of the users that scout out other servers and websites for these files, or using cache magic. For free, and no other insentive than a colored role on discord. with a wooping total of more than 500 already, and the info its not updated on discord yet because its still on going.

2) Im a Brawl Vault staff, and this Christmass only I had to approve more than 100 mods because I went on vacation for two weeks. And today I had other 20 to approve. And Im not the only staff that does this, because when I see the numbers grow and check it again, its back to zero pending mods.

3) I belong in many distinct websites and servers full of aspiring modders ready to release their things, this includes stagers, charater makers, psa'ers and even coders.

4) Perhaps Im seeing less and less vets lately, but Im sure seeing more and more new names as well.

So....

Quote from: Asuka on January 27, 2017, 05:03:20 AM
I know you staff members don't give a crap about this forum, but it would be nice to try to revive it.
You know, so that the work people put into this place years ago doesn't go to waste.

The community still wants the fire to keep on running, and because of that I also care. Sadly, as much as this is a forum affair and Im a bv staff, there is not much I can say on the matter. I will apply for board staff in certain sections that has my specialty (stages) if need be.

Quote from: И on January 28, 2017, 02:19:49 PM
Brawl modding has been going on since 2009, so I'm not too surprised that it's dying, especially with Wii U modding taking over a year since release.

Tell that to classic Doom.

Now @Vyse, @Miacis and @Albafika, I would like to support with vector designs for the smash 4 vault.

I have experiences making vector images for smash 3, and Ive been sharpening them via stage making for almost a year and a half.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


If you need some help, hit me up.

I said what Ive been itching to say for a while now, and so Im no longer needed. Sorry that Im entering the lurker state again... but the community keeps me busy on the vaults  ;)

January 30, 2017, 08:45:03 PM #3126 Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:52:16 PM by Nanobuds
Quote from: windhunter7 on January 29, 2017, 05:54:43 PM
In my opinion, I think that if we expanded BrawlBox to be able to handle Smash 4 models as efficiently as it handles Brawl models, then word would spread like wildfire, and they'd also be reminded of Brawl's awesome modding capabilities, as well.

Smash Forge is a thing. And word of it has already spread like wildfire in the Sm4sh modding community.

Awesome, thanks, Nano! ;D I honestly didn't know about that program! However, I do want to at the very least finish with my Blender->Brawl tutorial before I start even tackling installing mods for Smash 4, which will probably be after I finish Wolf Link's model imports, but before I do the main moveset, as that's when I'll start on Project Recolor. Hopefully, with that program able to import .dae files, I will probably be able to spend significantly less time with figuring out how to import Blender models to Smash 4 and making a tutorial than with Blender to Brawl.

:happy:

Quote from: windhunter7 on January 30, 2017, 08:56:03 PM
Awesome, thanks, Nano! ;D I honestly didn't know about that program! However, I do want to at the very least finish with my Blender->Brawl tutorial before I start even tackling installing mods for Smash 4, which will probably be after I finish Wolf Link's model imports, but before I do the main moveset, as that's when I'll start on Project Recolor. Hopefully, with that program able to import .dae files, I will probably be able to spend significantly less time with figuring out how to import Blender models to Smash 4 and making a tutorial than with Blender to Brawl.

:happy:

Right now, we export the .dae from Max, import it into Noesis, then export it as a .dae from Noesis, then import that into Forge.

Forge currently has the filesize bloat issue that BBox used to have, but at least we can get model imports working.

Can it also export the existing bones in .dae format, in a similar way, by exporting .dae of the model with the bones, in Noesis exporting that to another .dae?

Also, what filesize bloat issue?

January 30, 2017, 11:43:18 PM #3130 Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 11:46:49 PM by Segtendo
Filesize bloat means it ups the file size for no good reason. I think I remember hearing about that a while ago with BrawlBox.

Also Scout. I've lurked that restoration thread. You and the people in there are doing amazing things to restore the Vault back to what it was. I congratulate you and your helpers.
[white]: SW-2632-7270-6724[/white]


Yeah, Brawl modding was an inspiration to learn the basics of coding and 3D modeling/texturing. I'm glad there's still light in it.
Quote from: B a d   T i m e LC-DDM on May 13, 2016, 03:11:44 AM
#MakeNintendoWiFiGreatAgain
QuoteA girl who bullies you is just showing their ignorance while at the same time is too stupid to tell you she likes you.ヽ( ͡°╭​͜ʖ╮​͡° )ノ

Smash 4 Cloud Project:
http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=77350.0


Smash 4 Cloud discord: https://discord.gg/P8e4JUC

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5wsEF4QhWfmmRAKfSNymaw

Anther's Ladder: TheTriforceLink
Smash 3DS mains: Link, Shulk, Falco, Cloud, Villy

Quote from: windhunter7 on January 30, 2017, 09:21:07 PM
Can it also export the existing bones in .dae format, in a similar way, by exporting .dae of the model with the bones, in Noesis exporting that to another .dae?

Also, what filesize bloat issue?
Bones aren't kept with the model for Sm4sh, its a separate file. You have to manually edit bone trees in Smash Forge.

BBox use to bloat face count on models, nuking the filesize. Forge is doing the same thing.

Wait, then how do you rig a model, then, if the bones aren't with the model? Like, how does the rigging even work? Does the file with the bones specify exactly which vertices are rigged, or something?

Post Merge: February 06, 2017, 01:14:10 PM

Also, is there a good tutorial on how to do it with 3DS Max, so that I can have some idea of what to do, to write the Blender tutorial?

If you click on a user's awards when not logged in, an error message appears stating "The user whose profile you are trying to view does not exist."

Clicking awards should probably redirect to the login required page instead when not logged in.
Brawlex Advancements (Supplement to the Brawlex thread's original post)
I use RSBE Brawlex v2.0.0.0 Extended, Win 11, and 3ds Max (3ds Max Guide). Refresh to see my imports!