Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Mewtwo2000's Tutorials: How to use the ASL tool  (Read 31553 times)
Mewtwo2000
The Stage Master
Special Access

Making stages since 2010

• Awards Former PMDT King for a Day Ceiling Cat Featured

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « on: August 21, 2011, 11:07:59 AM »

The ASL (Alternate Stage Loader) code was created by Dantarion in early 2009. It allows to load more than one stage when hitting the stage icon in the Stage Selection Screen, similarly to how Mushroomy Kingdom loads 2 different stages from the same slot.

The stages need to be renamed with a letter, resulting in names like these: STGFINAL_A.pac, STGFINAL_B.pac...

If the ASL engine doesn't find one of the letter versions of the stage, it will load the one from the disc. This is important, it will not load STGFINAL.pac from the SD card. So, if you're using a rel file to port stages, and the ASL tries to load something that isn't there, it will most likely freeze the game, or load an incomplete stage.

The original ASL thread is here

The code allows you to not only select which stages to apply the ASL to, but the button combinations used for each letter, and each stage. So, you can load STGFINAL_A.pac by hitting A+R in a GC controller, while if you don't hit that combo, it will load randomly STGFINAL_A.pac, STGFINAL_B.pac or STGFINAL_C.pac.

This case would mean that 3 stages would be loaded randomly (A, B and C), and only one would have a button combination (A). If you hit A+R, you will always get the A version of the stage.

Well, editing the code isn't hard, the explanations are in the original thread, and there's even some tool over there (made by MagmarFire) called ASL Code generator, you can get it from here if interested.

My ASL tool doesn't build the code. Well, it does build it, but not in a txt file, but in an already compiled gct file. With it, you can load the code from the gct, customize it to your will, and save the changes back to the gct file. Well, every change is saved when done, but that's not relevant.

This is how the program looks. I'm now proceding to explain how to use it:

First, you need the ASL code already in your gct file. Place the ASL Tool in the same folder where your RSBE01.gct file is, and run it. If you get 'OK' where says 'ASL code', the code has been found. If not, you can add it to your gct with GCT Fusionizer, another tool of mine. Get this file, rename it to 'code.gct' and use GCT Fusionizer with it. Now your RSBE01.gct file should have an 'OK' in ASL tool. You can also get that file, rename it as RSBE01.gct and edit the code directly there, and fuse it with your original gct file later. It doesn't matter.

Well, now, let's edit something. If you already have your own ASL code, you will be able to see the first stage you have in your code. Well, the 4 first letters of the stage, without STG. So, if the first one is STGFINAL, you will se FINA. The Button combos number is just the number of button combinations you're using for that stage, and you can't edit it manually. That number and the number of lines below in the code are related, so if you want to increase or decrease the number, you need to hit the + and - buttons. If you hit the - button when the button combos is 0, you will remove that stage. Now, if you want to edit the randoms for that stage, just change the number and press enter.

The 'next' button shows the next stage in your code, and their button and random numbers. If you hit the 'add stage' button, a new stage will be added to your code. You will need to change the name after that, it will show up as 'NEW1'. Just edit the name, write the 4 capital letters after STG in the name of the stage, and press the enter key. You will be able to check the change by pressing the second refresh button, or the 'next' one the times you need.

When you have some button combo for a stage, the 'B' button will be enabled. If you click on there, you will get into the second menu (second picture).

You can select which of the combinations for that stage to edit, by changing the number and hitting 'enter', or switching with the 'next' button. Below, you can see all the possible button activators, and in the top-right corner, the letter of the stage to load. They don't need to be A, B, C..., they can be X, T, the ones you prefer. Only the randoms option loads necessarily the letters in order.

Check or uncheck the buttons, change the letter, and hit 'apply'. Go to the next button activator to edit, edit it, and apply. That's all.

I guess this is all. You can edit the hexadecimal values for each combo, and update by clicking 'enter' too.

If you use the program wisely, you should get no errors. It's been only 1 day of work, and has been fun to make. I hope it doesn't need any revision to fix anything.

Enjoy  Kirby Dance

SW FC: SW-5958-4724-5095
    Wii FC: 1247-2259-6207
    Twitch: http://twitch.tv/mewtwo2000
    Visit my stage thread here

Stage light and fog tutorial
    Stage shadows tutorial

ChaosEpsilon613
    Extreme Kitten

It's not my fault!

• Awards Concerned Elector

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 11:53:18 AM »

This is cool, but can this be used with stages with rel files?

Pokemon Black 2 FC: 0648 3646 9521

SmashClash
    This is my title.
    Boss Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container >9000 Renowned Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 11:56:55 AM »

Hey, good tutorial, Mewtwo, but can this be used with another controller? Like Wii Remote+Nunchuk for example?

Mewtwo2000
    The Stage Master
    Special Access

Making stages since 2010

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 12:34:21 PM »

This is cool, but can this be used with stages with rel files?

It can be used with stages with rel files, but the rel file is only one, the same for all the alternative stages. Also, if you edited the code wrongly and one file wasn't found, the stage loaded would be the original in the game disc, while the rel file used would be the one in the SD. That may result on a freeze, so just be careful.

It also works for STGCUSTOM (CUST) and STGRESULT (RESU), and probably STGEDIT (EDIT) and others.

Hey, good tutorial, Mewtwo, but can this be used with another controller? Like Wii Remote+Nunchuk for example?

This is what Dantarion originally posted about this:

0 = No Buttons Held
    1 = Left (GC,CC,Wiimote D-Pad or GC,CC Analog)
    2 = Right (GC,CC,Wiimote D-Pad or GC,CC Analog)
    4 = Down (GC,CC,Wiimote D-Pad or GC,CC Analog)
    8 = Up (GC,CC,Wiimote D-Pad or GC,CC Analog)

10 =  (GC Z)(CC ZL)(CC ZR)
    20 = (GC R)(CC R)
    40 = (GC L)(Wiimote B)(CC L)

100 = (GC,CC A)
    200 = (GC,CC B)(Wiimote 1)
    400 = (GC,CC X)
    800 = (GC,CC Y)

1000 = (GC Start)(Wiimote +)
    4000 = (CC ZL)
    8000 = (CC ZR)

The directions seem to be valid for any kind of controller. Some of the GC buttons are the same for the Classic Controller, start is the same as wiimote's + button, and B (GC) is the same as 1 (wiimote). Probably A (GC) is the same as 2 (wiimote), and there may be more coincidences. Just think which buttons do what in the game, and you may be able to port the button combinations to other controllers.
    « Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 12:39:40 PM by Mewtwo2000 » Logged

Stage shadows tutorial

SmashClash
    This is my title.
    Boss Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container >9000 Renowned Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 12:50:11 PM »

It can be used with stages with rel files, but the rel file is only one, the same for all the alternative stages. Also, if you edited the code wrongly and one file wasn't found, the stage loaded would be the original in the game disc, while the rel file used would be the one in the SD. That may result on a freeze, so just be careful. It also works for STGCUSTOM (CUST) and STGRESULT (RESU), and probably STGEDIT (EDIT) and others. This is what Dantarion originally posted about this: 0 = No Buttons Held 1 = Left (GC,CC,Wiimote D-Pad or GC,CC Analog) 2 = Right (GC,CC,Wiimote D-Pad or GC,CC Analog) 4 = Down (GC,CC,Wiimote D-Pad or GC,CC Analog) 8 = Up (GC,CC,Wiimote D-Pad or GC,CC Analog) 10 =  (GC Z)(CC ZL)(CC ZR) 20 = (GC R)(CC R) 40 = (GC L)(Wiimote B)(CC L) 100 = (GC,CC A) 200 = (GC,CC B)(Wiimote 1) 400 = (GC,CC X) 800 = (GC,CC Y) 1000 = (GC Start)(Wiimote +) 4000 = (CC ZL) 8000 = (CC ZR) The directions seem to be valid for any kind of controller. Some of the GC buttons are the same for the Classic Controller, start is the same as wiimote's + button, and B (GC) is the same as 1 (wiimote). Probably A (GC) is the same as 2 (wiimote), and there may be more coincidences. Just think which buttons do what in the game, and you may be able to port the button combinations to other controllers.
    I see. That's great news.

Luigifan141
    Expert Kitten

FALCON PUFF!!

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 05:39:28 PM »

Does this work with Riivolution? I'm using Bionic's Mod Launcher.xml if that helps.

Rest = Best move in Super Smash Bros.

Allav866
    Supreme Kitten

Would U like to play with Mii?

• Awards Favorite'd Heart Container Dedicated Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 02:27:22 AM »

Hey, Mewtwo, it is possible to set up the code so that random stages are button activated, but I can't figure out how to get this to work using ASL tool.

My Kid Icarus Uprising Weapon of Choice Card
    Bear Claws
    These claws are like a bear's, with
    melee attacks among the most
    devastating of any weapon. Their
    ranged shots are strong but have a
    short reach. If you can get up close,
    your foes won't know what hit them.

Friend Code: 3737 - 9702 - 3408
    NNID: Allav866

Mewtwo2000
    The Stage Master
    Special Access

Making stages since 2010

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 07:10:54 AM »

Does this work with Riivolution? I'm using Bionic's Mod Launcher.xml if that helps.

I don't know it, I don't use riivolution. It maybe works if you include the _A, _B versions of the stages in the xml file, but I'm not sure

Hey, Mewtwo, it is possible to set up the code so that random stages are button activated, but I can't figure out how to get this to work using ASL tool.

I'm not sure what's the case you're talking about. You mean, having for example a randomness between _A, _B and _C, and button activators for _A, _B and _C too?

That's just having 3 and 3 in the random and button numbers. You can change the number of random stages by just changing the number and pressing enter.

Stage shadows tutorial

Segtendo
    Local Marie Fanboy
    Special Access

Cold queen

• Awards Starstormer PC Core Gamer 128-bit Core Gamer Super Saiyan Topic

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 08:15:01 AM »

Oh yea. I wanted to ask.

When you "update" the button activators, it seems to go to the next stage and applies the activators to that one.

Example: I downloaded 5 versions of your Peach's Castle. Let's say I want to hold "Up" on the control stick to load the second stage. I click the up part of the control stick section, update, but it applies to the third stage. Any way you could fix that so it doesn't automatically go to the next stage?

: SW-2632-7270-6724

Mewtwo2000
    The Stage Master
    Special Access

Making stages since 2010

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 08:59:18 AM »

Well seen. Of course, that wasn't meant to happen, it was a last-hour mistake. I tested the program and worked well, but made a last-hour change to assure that it never tries to write in a higher number of combination. And copied data from another button that already checked it. But I copied the number increment too.

Now it works well, check the vault and get the updated version from there. Thanks for noticing it Wink

Nobody else did notice that?? xD

Stage shadows tutorial

Allav866
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 09:45:45 AM »

I'm not sure what's the case you're talking about. You mean, having for example a randomness between _A, _B and _C, and button activators for _A, _B and _C too?

That's just having 3 and 3 in the random and button numbers. You can change the number of random stages by just changing the number and pressing enter.
    Alright thx.
    *EDIT* Okay new question. Is is possible to put the same Button activator on multiple stages to load randomly between those stages only?
    Here's an example of what I mean: I have Facility and Felicity over Skyworld in 2 versions each, the Normal size and the big one without the roof. I want to Hold L to load the bigger stage, but still want it to load either Facility/Felicity at random. Is this possible?
    « Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:54:18 AM by Allav866 » Logged

Bear Claws

Mewtwo2000
    The Stage Master
    Special Access

Making stages since 2010

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 09:59:21 AM »

Don't know if it would work, but at least the program has no problem on building that part. I mean, you can have 2 button combinations with the same buttons, and a different letter to load. What the games does once you hit that combination is something I don't know.

Just build it that way and see what happens when you try that combo a few times. And report the result here so we know about it.

Stage shadows tutorial

Allav866
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 11:37:47 AM »

Will do, captain.
    *Edit* Didn't work. Sad It only loads the first stage with the same Button Activator Combination.
    *Edit 2* New problem. The ASL Tool won't save changes to new stage data. Yes I clicked the Apply Button
    « Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:24:41 PM by Allav866 » Logged

Bear Claws

Mewtwo2000
    The Stage Master
    Special Access

Making stages since 2010

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 01:02:48 PM »

Erm... does work for me.. O.o

Are you using the old version or the new one? Does it show any error message when hitting the apply button?

Stage shadows tutorial

Allav866
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 01:50:26 PM »

nope. i close out the BAC window, then the stage's name is still set to NEW1, even though I set it to JUNG. I will try redownloading it and get back to you.
    *EDIT* Didn't work. r u sure you uploaded the latest version? cos it does save the button combos, but not the Stage Code, or the amount of randoms I put in.
    *EDIT...AGAIN!* nvm. I got it to work. I don't know exactly what I did, except I pressed Enter/Return after inputting the stage code and # of randoms, then clicked the refresh buttons.
    « Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:20:22 PM by Allav866 » Logged

Bear Claws