Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2
Author Topic: Zig''s PSA Projects (Diffusion missile solved, now for the beam weapon)  (Read 8092 times)
zigheart
Supreme Kitten

• Awards Famous Hacker >9000 Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « on: September 14, 2011, 06:44:07 PM »

hi all i'm still rather new to psa, still learning soe of the basics. i decided to make this thread to keep track of a project i'm working on as well as maybe get a few tips or pointers on how to do certain things for it. now for my current project:

currently i need help perfecting the Beam Weapon, i don't think this one will be as hard to edit as the diffusion missile. i need to allow the beam to pass thru walls and players without stopping, but still damaging. minimal knock back

(idea stage and messing with flags atm)
    Fusion Samus
    Ice Missile
    Diffusion Missile
    Speed Booster
    Space Jump
    Wave/Plasma/Wide Beam
    Power Bomb
    finished
    what i'm curently fiddling with
    left to do Tongue
    feel free to comment or add input altho it will probaby be slow work till i get the hang of things.

Ice Missile has a small chance to freeze opponants with a weak missile

Diffusion Missile Stronger version of the Ice Missile. shoots into a group of players and explodes freezing multiple enemies, long ranged attack.

Speed Boost will be a side A tilt. similar to the original but goes a bit farther. unless something better comes to mind

Space Jump 7 jumps! >.>

Wave/Plasma/Wide Beams able to pierce through walls and players, little to no knock back. final charge will take longer to build up but will have a bit more damage added with minimal knock back. was thinking of adding the ice beam to the final charge.

Power Bomb down A smash similar to a smart bomb. can damage urself as well if ur not careful.
    « Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 12:34:11 AM by zigheart » Logged

My mind is like lightning, one brilliant flash and it's gone...
    Remember brawlbox 0.64b DOES NOT WORK! download .63 or under or it will give you problems later.
    Download to .63 modset: http://www.mediafire.com/?ud5s402d8u6ad6k#

AnImAiNe
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Famous Hacker Starstormer Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 07:03:57 PM »

isn't seven jumps a little too much?

[PICTURE REMOVED. Reason: All signature pics must fit a 695x200 frame.]

zigheart
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 07:17:22 PM »

isn't seven jumps a little too much?
    depends how the psa is made. a lot of the attacks r weaker so it takes longer to kill ur opponant. i want survivability. also note i use brawl minus, i may make it more balanced once i actually make decent progress was thinking 3 jumps for a more balanced version already
    « Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 07:18:22 PM by zigheart » Logged

Remember brawlbox 0.64b DOES NOT WORK! download .63 or under or it will give you problems later.

Higure Hokousha
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 08:56:07 PM »

Exactly what do you want out of the diffusion missile? Do you want it to expand slowly, hit multiple times, or  freeze more often(with or without regard to damage taken)? Are you looking for the hitbox to move in some particular way (perhaps four spinning hitboxes, in reference to Metroid Fusion?) I haven't done a lot with articles (I can never seem to actually stick with something very long), but I might be able to offer some level of advice.

My Brawl Tools Library

http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=34011.0

Tools:

PSA Assistant

zigheart
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 09:18:54 PM »

Exactly what do you want out of the diffusion missile? Do you want it to expand slowly, hit multiple times, or  freeze more often(with or without regard to damage taken)? Are you looking for the hitbox to move in some particular way (perhaps four spinning hitboxes, in reference to Metroid Fusion?) I haven't done a lot with articles (I can never seem to actually stick with something very long), but I might be able to offer some level of advice.
    those r kinda what i had in mind also i found out to use a goto command and make a new event to add hitboxes would still appreciate anything that u can add tho assume i know nothing lol
    « Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:15:07 PM by zigheart » Logged

Higure Hokousha
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 02:03:21 PM »

For steady growth, you should use this event:     06020200 Change Hitbox Size.
    You'll need to set up several different instances to raise the size to various levels.

--

For multihit, you should use a Special Offensive Collision. The second from last parameter in those is the refresh rate. I think someone mentioned it on your PSA Subroutine Help thread.

--

For the four spinning hitboxes, I'd recommend that you take advantage of the new Brawlbox version here: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=21968.

This version allows you to attach new bones to models. They can't distort the model, but you can attach hitboxes and collisions to them.

If you were to add four new bones to the missile model, you could animate  them to move as you wanted. From there, just attach graphics and hitboxes in PSA (four rotating bones with hitboxes and ice graphics, for example).

Understand that I haven't tested this yet, but I believe it should work in theory.

--

Also, as a piece of good advice for a new PSA maker, you should check out the Salute to the Flags guide over at Smashboards: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=286748.

Toomai has done a lot of research on flags there, which can be of great help to PSA makers. On a rather sad note, I would not recommend using my Hitbox Flag Maker program that is available over there.  

I've gotten reports of severe glitches and am doing a complete rebuild right now, so I'd recommend using the flash program 'Flagger' that is also available there or designing your flags by hand.

Good luck with Samus!
    « Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:04:22 PM by Higure Hokousha » Logged

My Brawl Tools Library

Tools:

PSA Assistant

zigheart
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 11:39:37 PM »

omg ty haha this attack is probably the one that will make or break the psa. hopefully i can get it to work now ^^ i'll tinker with it later

For steady growth, you should use this event:     06020200 Change Hitbox Size.
    You'll need to set up several different instances to raise the size to various levels.

i'm a bit confused lol still new to it how would i make a new instance to make it?
    lol assume i dont know anything (wich i probably dont xD) lol ty for ur patience, i finally got a new subroutine for the missile and it freezes as well as changed a few basic things with flags on other moves.
    « Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:38:28 AM by zigheart » Logged

Higure Hokousha
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 07:43:06 AM »

Sorry about that. When I said instance, I just meant another copy of the event.

Here's the event as copied from the wiki:

06020200    Change Hitbox Size   

Changes a specific hitbox's size to the new amount. Only guaranteed to work on Offensive Collisions.

Hitbox    ID of the hitbox to be changed.
    Size       New size of the hitbox.

For a hitbox that steadily increases in size, you would do something like this:

Hitbox (Size A)
    Timer
    Change Hitbox Size (Size B)
    Timer
    Change Hitbox Size (Size C)

You can repeat the Timer and Size Change as many times a you like, but you have to remember that the Size parameter is the new size, NOT the amount you want to increase the size by.

A possible (more complex, but more elegant) alternative would be a loop such as this one (with Y as a variable, X and n as whatever numbers you want to use, and my comments in brackets(those, obviously, don't go into PSA Laugh):

Set Variable Y                                  [Pick a variable (not sure what type) and store your desired hitbox  starting size in it.]
    Hitbox (Size Y)                                 [Set the Size here to your variable. I haven't tested this, so if it won't accept variables, you'll need to use the first method I posted.

Set Loop Z Times                             [Set Z to the number of times you want it to change size. Opens loop.]
    Synchronous Timer                          [Determines how often the hitbox size will increase]    
    Y=Y+n                                             [Increase Y by n (however much you want it to increase by during each cycle)
    Change Hitbox Size (Size Y)            [Sets the Hitbox's Size to the newly modified Y]
    Execute Loop                                  [End of Loop]

I'm not sure if a variable will work for Hitbox Size or Change Hitbox Size, but if it does, this is probably your  best option for steady growth (many stages of growth, rather than just three or four) with minimal drudge work (manually setting up various Change Hitbox Size events).

You can do something similar with GFX, but you'll need to recreate the Graphic each repetition, because there is no 'Change Graphic Size' event that I know of. Remember that GFX sizes vary from Hitbox sizes.

In short, use method one if you just want it to grow a few times or if method two fails. Use method two if it works and you want to have less 'jumpy' Hitbox growth.

All of the above can be adapted to multiple Hitboxes (with a little work), and work fine with Special Offensive Collision Hitboxes.

My Brawl Tools Library

Tools:

PSA Assistant

zigheart
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 08:22:12 PM »

woot ty kinda on hold for a bit i'm moving soon so don't have as much free time to work on things. might tinker later tonight with the new info tho ty ^^

just tried it it didn't do anything at all. doesn't seem to affect special collisions. any other ideas?
    « Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:35:48 AM by zigheart » Logged

Higure Hokousha
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 12:52:58 PM »

...no clue.

I haven't had time to really mess with this kind of thing. Only certains of variables work with certain parameters so method 2 might not work, but I can't think of any reason the first wouldn't.

Make sure you don't terminate collisions until the end of the subaction, of course, but other than that...

My advice is to try it with a normal collision. Once that works, then try it with a special collision. Also, make sure your special flags are set up right (check out the Salute to the Flags link I sent you). If they're set to 00000000, then the attack may not hit at all. You have to make sure that all of the Hits Smashers hitbit is set to 1, I think.

If the attack is hitting, but not growing, then I won't be much help. All I could tell you do do is try both methods I listed, try something else, or just create copies of the same hitbox with different Size parameters(make sure to terminate collisions before creating a copy of the hitbox, unless you want to have both hitboxes doing damage where they overlap).

My Brawl Tools Library

Tools:

PSA Assistant

zigheart
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 08:33:34 PM »

...no clue.

I haven't had time to really mess with this kind of thing. Only certains of variables work with certain parameters so method 2 might not work, but I can't think of any reason the first wouldn't.

Make sure you don't terminate collisions until the end of the subaction, of course, but other than that...

My advice is to try it with a normal collision. Once that works, then try it with a special collision. Also, make sure your special flags are set up right (check out the Salute to the Flags link I sent you). If they're set to 00000000, then the attack may not hit at all. You have to make sure that all of the Hits Smashers hitbit is set to 1, I think.

If the attack is hitting, but not growing, then I won't be much help. All I could tell you do do is try both methods I listed, try something else, or just create copies of the same hitbox with different Size parameters(make sure to terminate collisions before creating a copy of the hitbox, unless you want to have both hitboxes doing damage where they overlap).
    the issue is the change hitbox size event needs an id for the hitbox it affects. the special collision hitbox has no particular id to give its id is 0. might try copying it at various sizes tho. i just copy, terminate colisions, timer then reapeat right?

edit: nvm i got it. its not really exactly how i envisioned it to work might mess with it later but it's ok for an early release once i get the other moves in. i added a 45 frame timer till it can hit anything allowing the hitbox to explode later rather than as soon as it collides with the player. also making it more as a long range attack only, so it's harder to abuse i might keep it that way. now to add graphics and sounds xD i'll do that after tho on to the next attack the beam.

now a new issue:
    i need to allow the beam to shoot thru walls and players without stopping still damaging just no to little knock back. i assume i'll need to edit collision data somewhere but what do i need to mess with?
    « Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 12:25:28 AM by zigheart » Logged

zigheart
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 02:58:50 PM »

now a new issue:
    i need to allow the beam to shoot thru walls and players without stopping still damaging just no to little knock back. i assume i'll need to edit collision data somewhere but what do i need to mess with?

k looking in link, i found a bit to edit that allows the beam to shoot thru a wall. however i am still looking to find a way for the beam to shoot thru a player. anyone know what i would need to change in order for the beam to hit a player but keep going to damage more players?

Sirkura
    Lol Kitten

• Awards Featured Star Hacker Super Saiyan Topic >9000

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 03:50:18 PM »

k looking in link, i found a bit to edit that allows the beam to shoot thru a wall. however i am still looking to find a way for the beam to shoot thru a player. anyone know what i would need to change in order for the beam to hit a player but keep going to damage more players?

not sure about the beam but something i found in the bomb collisions might be useful for the diffusion missile:

Special Offensive Collision:
    Uninteractive Collision:
    Synchronous Timer:
    06130000:
    Synchronus Timer:
    Change Hitbox Size:
    Synchronous Timer:
    Change Hitbox size:
    Synchronous Timer:
    Terminate Collisions:
    Synchronous Timer:
    Terminate Instance:

zigheart
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 07:01:15 PM »

ty i'll take a look.

Higure Hokousha
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 07:33:54 AM »

...yeah. I really don't know how to prevent it from disappearing on contact with a Smasher.

I know that the code that causes it to terminate on contact with a wall is in a Subroutine in FitSamus.pac (1A7F4, to be precise), but that doesn't seem to affect collisions with Smashers. Even then, I don't think it will actually pass through the wall. It just won't vanish on contact.

You'll need someone else's help with this one.

Oh, and, regarding the Diffusion Missile. The ID of a Special Collision is the second half of the Bone/ID parameter. If it's set to 0, that just means that the ID is 0. It still exists. You may have already realize that, but  I figured it couldn't hurt to throw it out there.

My Brawl Tools Library

Tools:

PSA Assistant

Pages:  [1] 2
    Print
    Jump to: