My Little Pony + Brawl: Mario Kart/3D Outline Render

Started by Xiggah, October 29, 2011, 01:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

I've got quite a few steps forward for Brawl is Magic... I just need to start showing them off. Anyways, my partner B1nary bought a capture card for our recording purposes, so if you wanted to make a recording, you could email him a replay file to record.

Can someone experienced with shader or material cullmode editing help me out? I'm looking to get the brightness and outline of the pony models just right.

Hey Tommo, could I make some recolors of Spike? :3
Enzo scrive (14.48):
*YOU DECIDE
*KTH
*I love you
*but I love Jurio more
KTH scrive (14.48):
*i love you too
      VEGETAAAAA       scrive (14.48):
*Phoenix.
Enzo scrive (14.48):
*oh and KTH don't forget Knucklini's shoes
      VEGETAAAAA       scrive (14.48):
*LOL
KTH scrive (14.48):
*love/
Enzo scrive (14.48):
*lol
KTH scrive (14.48):
*....
Enzo scrive (14.48):
*i'm going to sleep now
KTH scrive (14.48):
*i hate you now srs
Enzo scrive (14.48):
*good night both of
*what
*!
*:emo:
      VEGETAAAAA       scrive (14.48):
*night man rotfl
KTH scrive (14.48):
*lol
Best quote ever!

January 25, 2012, 08:41:03 AM #362 Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:43:59 AM by TommoPuppy
Quote from: Puccio on January 25, 2012, 08:29:20 AM
Hey Tommo, could I make some recolors of Spike? :3
I'm not certain but I think RedPwnage is already working on it, but maybe you could could have a recolour-off :D

I have two ready. Can I upload 'em? C:
Enzo scrive (14.48):
*YOU DECIDE
*KTH
*I love you
*but I love Jurio more
KTH scrive (14.48):
*i love you too
      VEGETAAAAA       scrive (14.48):
*Phoenix.
Enzo scrive (14.48):
*oh and KTH don't forget Knucklini's shoes
      VEGETAAAAA       scrive (14.48):
*LOL
KTH scrive (14.48):
*love/
Enzo scrive (14.48):
*lol
KTH scrive (14.48):
*....
Enzo scrive (14.48):
*i'm going to sleep now
KTH scrive (14.48):
*i hate you now srs
Enzo scrive (14.48):
*good night both of
*what
*!
*:emo:
      VEGETAAAAA       scrive (14.48):
*night man rotfl
KTH scrive (14.48):
*lol
Best quote ever!

Probably wait until you have all slots covered, but show me some pics :D

Quote from: Xiggah on January 25, 2012, 06:36:03 AM
I've got quite a few steps forward for Brawl is Magic... I just need to start showing them off. Anyways, my partner B1nary bought a capture card for our recording purposes, so if you wanted to make a recording, you could email him a replay file to record.

Can someone experienced with shader or material cullmode editing help me out? I'm looking to get the brightness and outline of the pony models just right.

Eh. Why not.

What do you need help with?


Wait, alright, what are we down to, PSAs? i'm a bit puzzled now.
I'm back after a long while.

Quote from: Spex130 on January 25, 2012, 01:01:27 PM
Eh. Why not.

What do you need help with?

Down to shaders and materials. I have no idea about shaders, but I'd like to get them custom-made to have the right brightness amount matching the show's flat lighting. For materials, it's setting up the character outlines, the only material settings I know is cullmode, and I have no idea how to have the outlines unaffected by the lighting either.

So all we need to do is get the models perfected, right?  What next after that? also, i think more animation rig tests need to get done, since turbobear needs one for pinkie. so he could help. (and i wonder about the others too.)
I'm back after a long while.

Quote from: Xiggah on January 26, 2012, 02:51:32 AM
Down to shaders and materials. I have no idea about shaders, but I'd like to get them custom-made to have the right brightness amount matching the show's flat lighting. For materials, it's setting up the character outlines, the only material settings I know is cullmode, and I have no idea how to have the outlines unaffected by the lighting either.

Well, if you want to create a thick outline, the easiest way is to clone the models in 3DS Max and move around the vertices while they're still skinned. Then you'd need to make the outer cell black somehow. It will need a new material so that it can be culled right, so making a small 8x8 black texture would be good.

Also, once it's in Brawlbox, you'll need to set the cullmode for the material that the cell uses to Cull_Outside.  And if you want the model bright like the show, you'll definitely need to set normalEnable in the normal textures' materials to false. Getting rid of any shadows within the textures will help with that.

That should be right. Yeah.


Quote from: Spex130 on January 26, 2012, 03:10:16 AM
Well, if you want to create a thick outline, the easiest way is to clone the models in 3DS Max and move around the vertices while they're still skinned. Then you'd need to make the outer cell black somehow. It will need a new material so that it can be culled right, so making a small 8x8 black texture would be good.

Also, once it's in Brawlbox, you'll need to set the cullmode for the material that the cell uses to Cull_Outside.  And if you want the model bright like the show, you'll definitely need to set normalEnable in the normal textures' materials to false. Getting rid of any shadows within the textures will help with that.

That should be right. Yeah.

The outline will be colored, not black, but it works all the same. And I don't think the normals should be completely turned off, rather it should have less of a lighting effect, barely noticeable but still there. Thanks for the tips.

Quote from: Xiggah on January 26, 2012, 03:20:19 AM
The outline will be colored, not black, but it works all the same. And I don't think the normals should be completely turned off, rather it should have less of a lighting effect, barely noticeable but still there. Thanks for the tips.

Mm. No problem. Anyways, if you only want a lowered shading effect, you can use the Wind Waker cell shade, but:

#1, make the gradient very progressive instead of very hard, and


#2, make the darker side of the gradient very light.


That should give a nice light shading effect.


Also, if it's going to be colored, you can set normalEnable on the outer colored Cell to false. I noticed on the 3DGame&Watch I did that if you don't the outer cell can catch light and give off a faint shadow.


Thanks. That should do for now, but I think I'll avoid using the Wind Waker effect for now, leave it until after custom shaders are used.

There's actually a video posted on the blog with Spike and Rainbow in gameplay, go check it out! Rainbow Dash totally pulls of Pit's animations perfectly.

Quote from: Xiggah on January 26, 2012, 03:51:05 AM
Thanks. That should do for now, but I think I'll avoid using the Wind Waker effect for now, leave it until after custom shaders are used.

There's actually a video posted on the blog with Spike and Rainbow in gameplay, go check it out! Rainbow Dash totally pulls of Pit's animations perfectly.

Okay.


Also, Dash pulls off Pit's stuff better than expected, but it looks like she broke her TransN bone. You should get that patched up. It's not fun when it swells.


Quote from: Spex130 on January 26, 2012, 04:25:26 AM
Okay.


Also, Dash pulls off Pit's stuff better than expected, but it looks like she broke her TransN bone. You should get that patched up. It's not fun when it swells.

I bet she'll pull of her own animation better :P