Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: General beginner's questions  (Read 1871 times)
Tango
Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
« on: November 12, 2011, 10:58:37 PM »

I discovered brawl mods a few weeks ago and installed Project M, as I play melee quite a lot. after playing melee so much it's almost impossible to go back to plain brawl, which is why I insist on keeping Project M intact whenever I use some new hacks (characters, stages, etc) even if it ruins the balance.

I at one point got frustrated with the limits as to what custom stages could replace what; for instance, I would like to keep FD but XX stage only replaces FD, and when I rename the .pac to replace another stage, it freezes, and I now sort of understand why (2 digit tag in the hex). I am, however, still running into a lot of problems, and at this point, after trying to read (briefly) through all these different tutorials for the past few hours and testing over and over and over, I'm resorting to posting these questions. I hope they are not painfully obvious answers :x

1) ProjectM has a limited roster (the demo, in present state) of 14 characters. I have desperately been wanting to download and use Cloud, though he is an Ike replacement, who is not on the roster. I've tried: modifying sc_selcharacter.pac to mimic the PM roster but replace Jigglypuff with Ike, deleting the sc_selcharacter.pac file contained within common5, deleting common5 altogether, deleting common5 and sc_selcharacter2.pac, and maybe others I'm forgetting.

Nothing seems to work and I can't figure out why the roster won't expand.

2) I read that if you have XX stage that replaces FD and you want it to replace a different stage instead, all you need to do is modify the .rel file. But suppose I download a map from the vault that replaces FD, and I want to change it, but the stage comes with no .rel file. Do I simply rename the stage as FD's .pac and modify the .rel of... er. wait. which rel am I modifying here :'(

3) I found the custom stage expansion:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=290659

but I'm not quite sure where to put the code. I remember seeing a file with lines of code like that somewhere but don't seem to remember. Where does all this go?

/noob

Techno Assassin
Expert Kitten

An Ace can never lose!

View Profile Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 08:05:04 PM »

1. Sorry, I have no idea.
2. You take the .rel of the stage the hacked stage is on (if the stage goes over Final Destination, use an fd .rel) and modify it. I believe there's a program floating around somewhere that simplifies the process to like, 3 clicks.
3. All codes go in your RSBE01.gct file. That file contains all of your Brawl related codes. If you have a gct you like already, then download gct edit (should be on the vault under resources) and use that to paste any new codes into your old gct (but make a backup first, just in case).

Hope that helps!

8o8 Dark
Extreme Kitten

Discs are for people who like scratches

• Awards RAGE!!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 01:01:38 PM »

1) The Project M Demo is limited to those 14 characters. When there's an update, there should be more characters, and they limited it to those 14 because they only finished those 14.
    2) Get an unedited .rel, if the stage is already meant to go over FD, download Bero's Stage Switcher, google it, it should take maybe a minute or so. Then follow the readme's instructions.
    3)Get either the GCT Fusionizer, if you already have one, or the Ocarina Code Manager. For Ocarina code manager, open it, click new .txt file. Then save it somewhere, then open that with Notepad. Add all the codes onto it, then open up the .txt with Ocarina code manager again. Check all the boxes, then save it as a .gct somewhere, it should be named RSBE01.gct. Goes into X:\codes\RSBE01.gct

rar! rar! rar! --8o8 Dark

Techno Assassin
    Expert Kitten

An Ace can never lose!

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 02:39:51 PM »

1) The Project M Demo is limited to those 14 characters. When there's an update, there should be more characters, and they limited it to those 14 because they only finished those 14.
    2) Get an unedited .rel, if the stage is already meant to go over FD, download Bero's Stage Switcher, google it, it should take maybe a minute or so. Then follow the readme's instructions.
    3)Get either the GCT Fusionizer, if you already have one, or the Ocarina Code Manager. For Ocarina code manager, open it, click new .txt file. Then save it somewhere, then open that with Notepad. Add all the codes onto it, then open up the .txt with Ocarina code manager again. Check all the boxes, then save it as a .gct somewhere, it should be named RSBE01.gct. Goes into X:\codes\RSBE01.gct
    For 1) I think Tango wanted to know how to edit his GCT to allow for a 15th character, or to switch one out one of the characters he doesn't use with Ike. This can be done, but I have neither the time or patience to figure out how.

I'm glad you were able to tell him the exact program names. I rarely use them, thus my not remembering their names.

@Tango
    BTW, for 3), you can also go to geckocodes.org. They have an onsite GCT creator.

8o8 Dark
    Extreme Kitten

• Awards RAGE!!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 03:14:01 PM »

For 1) I think Tango wanted to know how to edit his GCT to allow for a 15th character, or to switch one out one of the characters he doesn't use with Ike. This can be done, but I have neither the time or patience to figure out how. I'm glad you were able to tell him the exact program names. I rarely use them, thus my not remembering their names. @Tango BTW, for 3), you can also go to geckocodes.org. They have an onsite GCT creator.
    I know their names because I just download them yesterday, and, I would try to help out with the Project M thing, but I don't play it, since the Demo is outdated, and I'm not too good with codes. If you aren't able to find the part in the code that makes it so that there's only 14 characters, you could always look for a port of Cloud over someone who is currently in the Demo. I think there's quite a few.
    « Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 03:15:51 PM by 8o8 Dark » Logged

Tempo_
    Supreme Kitten

You can't be restrained by common sense!

• Awards Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 05:20:07 PM »

For 1), it's likely spunit262's CSS code that forces only those characters to appear. You can use GCT Edit or something and look for that code, then edit it so you replace or add whatever character. Of course, any additional characters you add to the roster aren't edited to fit with P:M.

Asbel: "To protect those close to us!"
    Malik: "To be a completely badass!"
    Hubert: "To be a Tsundere nerd!"
    Richard: "To be completely FABULOUS!"
    All: "WE ARE THE TOGF MANLY MEN BRIGADE!"
    -kazemaru95421

[PICTURES REMOVED. Reason: All signature pics must fit a 695x200 frame, even when inside a spoiler.]

Tango
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 02:29:37 AM »

Ah. I apologize for not responding sooner; I didn't expect (this many) replies. Thank you all for the helpful answers, however. For 1) I ended up converting PM's gct to a txt and noticing the custom CSS code in there, which I didn't know one could do. Spent a lot of time messing around with gct/txt and adding different code, eventually settling for Brawl- with wavedashing and l-cancels, partly just because I don't want to get out of those habits since I still play melee so much.

So I got it all worked out in the end, though one thing I'm still not quite understanding (nor does it really matter) is this: when I finally figured out how to return to the default CSS (removing the code you mentioned Tempo_), anytime I would select one of the characters not modified in the PM Demo, as in not one of the 14, the game would freeze after picking a stage. Never quite understood why, though I still know very little and at this point I'm capable of very few things aside from adding code/textures/characters/music/other basics.

Regardless, thanks all for the help. Now to figure out this blasted stage-editing business 9_9

8o8 Dark
    Extreme Kitten

• Awards RAGE!!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 05:32:20 PM »

oh. the freezing part is unavoidable. I remember reading somewhere (i think on KC-MM's Brawl Vault, one of the CSS for P:M) that any characters not meant for P:M will freeze. :/

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: