WIP Workshop

Started by StarWaffle, January 15, 2012, 10:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

August 01, 2014, 08:12:22 PM #15750 Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:18:46 PM by the_randomizer
Quote from: Gamidame_K on August 01, 2014, 07:35:13 PM
its backwards

Post Merge: August 01, 2014, 07:38:59 PM

actually, 90% of MMD models has at least (and I mean a very small number in general) 20 000 vertices in total

Which I've done before; my rig for Felicia from DarkStalkers, was easily 20,000 vertices; it created lag, but it still worked, but definitely pushing the limits. Yeah, I get it was a bad idea, so I'm going to forget I even mentioned that Krystal model, so.....

Quote from: Velen on August 01, 2014, 06:27:39 PM
My suggestion: Look up and follow some tutorials on modeling for 3DS Max. You'll learn the skill set needed fairly quickly.

Oh believe me, I tried, I got way too overwhelmed way too fast. I can never seem to find the right tutorials, they don't seem very relevant and confuse me to no end. There has to be better tutorials that are more up to date and less confusing to me.  :D :laugh:

Quote from: TheSoraKid on August 01, 2014, 05:58:37 PM
I didn't say for you to send it over to me, I said you to try and use the Tristripper program to reduce the poly count so that it'll lag less than it should.
If you want to know how to do it, then download the latest Brawlbox v0.73 and follow this tutorial.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to rig the model before you import it into Brawl Box? I don't think a model with 100,000 polygons and 50,000 vertices would import very well into Brawl Box before the optimizations take place.  Not exactly a viable solution, given the fact I'd have to rig the model over Peach or whoever, then export it as .dae and import into BB. I'm pretty sure it would crash the program.

Quote from: the_randomizer on August 01, 2014, 08:12:22 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to rig the model before you import it into Brawl Box? I don't think a model with 100,000 polygons and 50,000 vertices would import very well into Brawl Box before the optimizations take place.  Not exactly a viable solution, given the fact I'd have to rig the model over Peach or whoever, then export it as .dae and import into BB. I'm pretty sure it would crash the program.
Yes you do. Just give it a try after you optimized it in 3DS Max and then saving it while importing the dae file into Brawlbox.

Also, just a heads up; the Tristripper may be able to reduce the poly count, but whatever poly count left over, whether it's more than 20,000 may still cause lag regardless.

So there.

August 01, 2014, 08:41:41 PM #15752 Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:44:11 PM by the_randomizer
Quote from: TheSoraKid on August 01, 2014, 08:34:15 PM
Yes you do. Just give it a try after you optimized it in 3DS Max and then saving it while importing the dae file into Brawlbox.

Also, just a heads up; the Tristripper may be able to reduce the poly count, but whatever poly count left over, whether it's more than 20,000 may still cause lag regardless.

So there.

That's what I was afraid of. I managed to reduce the number of polygons/vertices to half its number, but anything lower causes severe quality degradation, like, it looks really bad. At this point, it can't be salvaged and must abandoned due to the sheer nature of the model itself. It would be better to make a custom model from scratch but with a much lower polygon and vertex count. It's not going to work out because it'll look absolutely horrible when it's done being optimized, and I want it to look as good as possible.  short of miraculously understanding 3D modelling, yeah, I'll have to think of another plan, another idea for a WIP.

To be realistic, it will look worse than the SFA version with that much poly reduction. Too bad my mind's incapable of learning to make them from scratch  ;D

Quote from: Ashley and Red on August 01, 2014, 07:48:27 PM
Uhm, so the Mario MMD models have less polys... :P
Well that makes sense, there are few custom Mario models that are extremely high poly, I doubt the Wii U Mario models even get that high. lol
Quote from: TheSoraKid on August 01, 2014, 05:58:37 PM
I recommend you use the Tristripper as well when you model import. ;)
I rarely import models that high poly, but I might look into that to reduce the lag that the M&L Bros make.....at some point.
I make YouTube videos, SM64 hacks, Brawl Hacks (obviously), NSMBW hacks, and GoldenEye 007 Mods. I also have a short attention span and tend to switch around a lot and put things on hold. But when I do finish things, 95% of the time I gave 120% effort, the other 5% of the time I give 100% effort.

August 02, 2014, 02:58:15 PM #15754 Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 04:03:48 PM by ShadowLuigi-NG-
It's been too long. Someone had to do this.
[spoiler]


Quote from: ShadowLuigi-NG- on August 02, 2014, 02:58:15 PM
It's been too long. Someone had to do is.
[spoiler]


OH MY! I agree!!! And I'd love to texture it :3

Quote from: ShadowLuigi-NG- on August 02, 2014, 02:58:15 PM
It's been too long. Someone had to do this.
[spoiler]

Would've done it if I had decent modeling skills, which I don't. xD I'm assuming that's on Ice Climbers with the hammer, so think you'll do a Luigi version over Nana since Mini Luigi is now a thing?
I make YouTube videos, SM64 hacks, Brawl Hacks (obviously), NSMBW hacks, and GoldenEye 007 Mods. I also have a short attention span and tend to switch around a lot and put things on hold. But when I do finish things, 95% of the time I gave 120% effort, the other 5% of the time I give 100% effort.

Quote from: StupidMarioFan1 on August 02, 2014, 04:40:58 PM
Would've done it if I had decent modeling skills, which I don't. xD I'm assuming that's on Ice Climbers with the hammer, so think you'll do a Luigi version over Nana since Mini Luigi is now a thing?

Or mini mario and mini Peach

August 02, 2014, 05:00:13 PM #15758 Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 07:45:14 PM by Rosetta-Hime
Quote from: Ashley and Red on August 02, 2014, 04:45:23 PM
Or mini mario and mini Peach
Mini Peach is something I would love to have with Mini Mario.
Hell, I'd even rig it.

Quote from: ShadowLuigi-NG- on August 02, 2014, 02:58:15 PM
It's been too long. Someone had to do this.
[spoiler]

This remind me when I wanted to do this but I stopped because of lack of modeling and rigging skills D:

Looks really promising, I can't wait for it ;D

Quote from: Ashley and Red on August 02, 2014, 04:45:23 PM
Or mini mario and mini Peach
Quote from: Rosetta-Hime on August 02, 2014, 05:00:13 PM
Mini Peach is something I would love to have with Mini Mario.
Hell, I'd even rig it.
How about different characters instead of recolors?
I make YouTube videos, SM64 hacks, Brawl Hacks (obviously), NSMBW hacks, and GoldenEye 007 Mods. I also have a short attention span and tend to switch around a lot and put things on hold. But when I do finish things, 95% of the time I gave 120% effort, the other 5% of the time I give 100% effort.

I'd be fine with that... But it's all up to ShadowLuigi

Quote from: StupidMarioFan1 on August 02, 2014, 08:00:29 PM
How about different characters instead of recolors?

yep, like:

MiniMario-Luigi
MiniMario-Peach
MiniLuigi-Daisy
MiniPeach-Pauline

..... but it would be tooo much model work


Almost done.

This model was originally a frankestein using most of the Judgement model, but as I go on, I end up building my own parts to replace the messy Judgement part.

The Torso, Shoulders, and Arms have been retextured and I remodeled the Shoulders, Arms, Torso, and Pelt from scratch to have cleaner topology, which is easier to work with and rig. It also makes the model slightly smaller in Tris/Faces too.

I remodeled the fur as well, but I'm not exactly sure how I can get the Fur on his pelt to look really good......

Only things left from the judgement model would be the face, neck, and hands.

Quote from: TheSoraKid on August 01, 2014, 08:34:15 PM
Also, just a heads up; the Tristripper may be able to reduce the poly count, but whatever poly count left over, whether it's more than 20,000 may still cause lag regardless.

You keep repeating that the tirstiper reduces polycount. It doesn't. The polycount remains the same, if it has 20,000 tris, it'll keep 20,000 tris. What it does is that it saves the triangles in a way that takes less space, in strips, hence tristripper. It's not a magic tool, it just saves a bit of space, he'd still have to optimize those huge models.