WIP Workshop

Started by StarWaffle, January 15, 2012, 10:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

you may wanna use a subtle metal-ish pattern overlay

March 26, 2015, 05:30:59 PM #18526 Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 05:46:41 PM by TurboChaos
Quote from: jjookkeekkiidd on March 26, 2015, 05:13:13 PM
you may wanna use a subtle metal-ish pattern overlay

How's this?



Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

March 27, 2015, 12:29:23 AM #18527 Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:46:48 AM by Velen
I want to make a few suggestions on your texture there:

- I don't think I explained myself well enough on the lines thing: I meant having them wrap arond the mound in the middle of his torso that is basically his head, having two more of them wrap diagonally around toward the bottom of the torso and into the fan, and having vertical ones along the middle of the sides of the torso.

- The other thing is the lines are too subtle. Look at Mega Man's texture and you'll notice many of the dark lines on his body have lighter colored edges on them.

- Those scratches you currently have I would recommend removing. That stuff never really looks good unless the texture in question isn't mirrored.

- The metal texture is too subtle. You need something grainier and less subtle to overlay, something with more contrast that you can shrink down and repeat. I recommend looking at Mega Man's texture again for a significant example. As for the overall shading, look at Ragnell's blade or ROB himself.

- Looking at his texture again, he could stand to be a darker shade of blue if you're willing to do that.

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

Question: how does one make perfectly flat UV's?

I know the basic stuff, but the UVs are all rounded.

Quote from: Tabuu Forte Akugun on March 27, 2015, 01:56:30 AM
Question: how does one make perfectly flat UV's?

I know the basic stuff, but the UVs are all rounded.
Uasually I select the model and open the UV Map modifier and select the box option. Then I open the UV Unwrap modifier and edit the uvs as I see fit.

What do you mean by "perfectly flat"? If you want the tiling to be consistent, select whichever UV island you want to "flatten" and relax it (relax can be found in the options menu of the Unwrap UVW modifier) by polygon angles. This will smoothen your UVs out.

Google Uwrap UVW relax tool if you want more in-depth info.


since i wanted young link to be completely lagless, im rebuilding him by editting P:M's OoT Link, i will keep the HW face though, it's way too good, my plan is to make him on toon link, but i'll also upload the model once i finish it for if anyone wants to port him over link, proportions are amazingly similar to old link... (he'll be huge though :P)



so yeah, his body is pretty much done, it's on 14k polys without optimizing/rebuilding the accessories, if only i could get the masks he wears... :P

I'm redoing Lord Fredrik's Body texture (and perhaps the others as well) by applying a new UV tool I'd never though of in 3ds Max. But I can't take the credit for that technique. But Moblin can. ;) Sorry for the jagged edges and stuff, ProOptimizer, while keeping the main geometry intact, wasn't kind to the model's wireframe.

Old:



As you can see, the edges of the objects were rounded. Basically, the UV was shaped just like the gut: round.

New (WIP)



Here, it's larger thanks to Moblin's tips. The base texture is smaller in size, but much more detailed. I wanted to experiment more with filters and effects. And while looking at the game, certain elements were't accurate enough. They still probably won't be as good as the real ones, but hey. I'm no master. I'm more satisfied enough now.

March 30, 2015, 06:06:00 AM #18534 Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 06:11:55 AM by Moblin
Hmm... those 4 cylindrical objects could use a little cleaning up. I can see a poly just floating around in the 3rd object from the top, toward the centre-right.

If you send me the model I'll clean up the UVs for you, and show you step by step what I did in order to do it, if you'd like.

Edit: just checked what the model actually looks like, and yep, that's an easy fix. The topology needs some quick edits, too. Would you happen to have a copy of the model before you optimized it?


model is fully optimized at 10.021 polys, pretty good IMO, original was 18k

Quote from: Moblin on March 30, 2015, 06:06:00 AM
Hmm... those 4 cylindrical objects could use a little cleaning up. I can see a poly just floating around in the 3rd object from the top, toward the centre-right.

If you send me the model I'll clean up the UVs for you, and show you step by step what I did in order to do it, if you'd like.

Edit: just checked what the model actually looks like, and yep, that's an easy fix. The topology needs some quick edits, too. Would you happen to have a copy of the model before you optimized it?

See, while I would be more than glad to do that, I already rigged it. D: I don't want to re-rig all over again. D:

Okay, so here's an idea: Is it okay if I ask you to tell me said step-by-step process for UVing without my model?

I wonder how TurboChaos is doing with Air Man...?

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

Quote from: Velen on March 30, 2015, 11:59:03 PM
I wonder how TurboChaos is doing with Air Man...?
Hi Velen-senpai

Thanks to Velen for updating the texture.


Alt. version I made based off my original (Will probably be included in the download.)
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


P.S. I hoped you enjoyed my beautiful hand-writing. :af:

Airman is looking great!

And I am finally getting back into making custom models

[spoiler]




Excluding the head and chest that is. May change the arms from being simple cylinders.

Things to add:

Shins and feet

Fingers

Perhaps something on his back

----------------

He's at 9,569 faces right now (with pro-optimizing nearly every object by 50-75%)