WIP Workshop

Started by StarWaffle, January 15, 2012, 10:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Quote from: the_randomizer on March 15, 2013, 12:37:41 AMProgress update! The rig is almost complete! I was surprised at the polygon count, as it must be the absolute limit; 17,000 polygons and over 9,000 vertices (seriously).
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
:patrick: Damn that's a lot of polygons, do they all use the same texture? If not then you could've merged polygons with the same texture before you started rigging. just sayian
I make YouTube videos, SM64 hacks, Brawl Hacks (obviously), NSMBW hacks, and GoldenEye 007 Mods. I also have a short attention span and tend to switch around a lot and put things on hold. But when I do finish things, 95% of the time I gave 120% effort, the other 5% of the time I give 100% effort.

March 15, 2013, 12:44:28 AM #9136 Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:46:56 AM by the_randomizer
Quote from: StupidMarioFan1 on March 15, 2013, 12:39:04 AM
:patrick: Damn that's a lot of polygons, do they all use the same texture? If not then you could've merged polygons with the same texture before you started rigging. just sayian

Yeah, I was surprised the game didn't freak out; it only freaked due to the textures being 1024 x 1024, but I reduced those by 75%.  I don't know a damn thing about merging polygons or complex texture-related crap like that and I sure as hell aren't gonna start over after getting this far because, you know, my spending this much time till now would have been a waste of time.

tl:dr I don't know anything about merging/editing polygons, therefore, I'm not going to start over just to reduce the no. of vertices/polygons; not worth my time or effort. It's bad enough trying to figure out how to properly rig the shoulders without them getting weird.

Someone could of told me before I started. But I digress.

Quote from: the_randomizer on March 15, 2013, 12:37:41 AMover 9,000 vertices (seriously).


Also, I think closing the gaps by merging verticies would have both reduced the vert count and solved the gap problem at the same time...Just something to consider for next time.


March 15, 2013, 12:47:48 AM #9138 Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:52:14 AM by the_randomizer
Quote from: Kage Ryu on March 15, 2013, 12:45:56 AM


Also, I think closing the gaps by merging verticies would have both reduced the vert count and solved the gap problem at the same time...Just something to consider for next time.

Again, I don't know how to merge vertices 3DS Max 2011. Why don't people suggest that before I start rigging?  I appreciate feedback, I do, but the timing of said feedback is atrocious at best.  :srs:


Either way, I'm not starting over, the rig is almost done and that's that. If someone would be so kind as to instruct me on how to do it, I can move on.

Rigging models in 3DS max = okay
Editing textures = okay
Testing models  in Brawl = Okay
Merging polygons or vertices = ????

The gaps have been fixed.

You know, you probably could have just added a Vertex Weld modifier. That would have significantly reduced the number of vertices.

Quote from: the_randomizer on March 15, 2013, 12:54:38 AM
Too late to go back on this hack, too far into rigging. Besides, I wouldn't even know what threshold to set it at.
Anyway, I'm submitting it tonight regardless of the high vertex and polygon count.

Cut out the skin modifier.
Add a vertex weld modifier.
Set the threshold to 0.01.
Right click the modifiers and choose "Collapse All".
Click Okay.
Paste the skin modifier back in.



Do it.

Randomizer? Didn't Nano tell you not to post every other post? We don't need to know about every little thing that happens when you're working on your rig.
[white]: SW-2632-7270-6724[/white]



March 15, 2013, 01:20:14 AM #9143 Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 01:22:10 AM by BlackJax96
Quote from: the_randomizer on March 15, 2013, 01:14:23 AM
Good to hear. Didn't mean to flip out back there...yikes.

What in the world are you talking abo- actually, nvm.

Also, make sure to read this:

Quote from: Segtendo on March 15, 2013, 01:13:09 AM
Randomizer? Didn't Nano tell you not to post every other post? We don't need to know about every little thing that happens when you're working on your rig.

Please just post in your own model import thread.

Quote from: BlackJax96 on March 15, 2013, 01:20:14 AM
What in the world are you talking abo- actually, nvm.

Also, make sure to read this:

Please just post in your own model import thread.

Noted. Issue is fixed, btw.

March 15, 2013, 01:50:01 AM #9145 Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 01:51:22 AM by Vaanrose
Quote from: Kage Ryu on March 15, 2013, 12:24:57 AM
But then, where would the fun in that be?

But yeah, lack of Maya tutorailage/usage is pretty much why I experimented on my own. I did use one of your tutorials to (sort of) figure out a problem I was having with importing during my larger-scale experiments, but I didn't know you had experience with Maya.


Cranky Kong was modeled and rigged 100% in Maya 2013. And he imports just fine. If you need help with anything, let me know. I've been using Maya daily for going on five years now, and I teach the program at my university, so if there's anything you want to know, shoot me a message.

Personally, I've found rigging a lot more intuitive in Maya than in Max, and I'd suggest anybody that's having trouble learning Max's rigging tools to at least give Maya a shot. A lot of it comes down to personal preference, but I had no trouble closing up the gaps on Cranky's thighs and neck with Maya.


Quote from: Vaanrose on March 15, 2013, 01:50:01 AMCranky Kong was modeled and rigged 100% in Maya 2013. And he imports just fine. If you need help with anything, let me know. I've been using Maya daily for going on five years now, and I teach the program at my university, so if there's anything you want to know, shoot me a message.

Personally, I've found rigging a lot more intuitive in Maya than in Max, and I'd suggest anybody that's having trouble learning Max's rigging tools to at least give Maya a shot. A lot of it comes down to personal preference, but I had no trouble closing up the gaps on Cranky's thighs and neck with Maya.
Sounds like a plan. I'll be sure to give you a call if I have any trouble.


March 15, 2013, 05:24:45 AM #9147 Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 05:26:20 AM by the_randomizer
Last update post for rig, hopefully it looks somewhat better, but I'm sure it's nearly complete ;)




Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Over pokemon trainer and squirtle.
I just need to improve michael/adam/michael/ryuuto's texture.
3DS: 3780-9595-2194 Tumblr: http://oktavia-von-sekendorff.tumblr.com


March 15, 2013, 07:27:45 AM #9149 Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 07:29:43 AM by Vaanrose


Some texture updates. I got the transparency working relatively well, but now the shader is really dark. His beard texture is much brighter than how it shows up in-game and I'm not sure what settings I need to change to brighten it up. The same shader is on his canes and it renders so dark that all the texture detail is completely lost.