WIP Workshop

Started by StarWaffle, January 15, 2012, 10:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nice job crankin' out Cranky so far. You could probably just make a separate shader for his canes as long as they're not in the same object as the beard.



Anywho. I know certain people that will be able to guess what I'm working on...


Quote from: Vaanrose on March 15, 2013, 07:27:45 AM
Quality Kong

So you've rigged his sticks to DK's forearms or something? Pretty damn clever. How does he look animated? I imagine it looks pretty funny when he picks up an item. :af: Great job so far.

It's comforting to know that Maya works fine for imports. I was about to get started using it to make some custom models myself, and given that my Maya knowledge is on the lower end of the bell curve the lack of mention of anything but Max on the tutorial board was pretty daunting. I'm mostly just glad I won't have to use Max.

I like your works guys :)

And speaking of like, here is a project I'm working on



Ike, hero of time (or Like)

Some rig, textures, materials and other stuff issues will be fixed and improved :angel:


interesting idea :P

Quote from: Kage Ryu on March 15, 2013, 08:25:59 AM
Nice job crankin' out Cranky so far. You could probably just make a separate shader for his canes as long as they're not in the same object as the beard.



Anywho. I know certain people that will be able to guess what I'm working on...
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

tenshi! I could recognize that masochist's hat anywhere...
who are you making her over? I remind you Ill be making a tenshi too o3o

Quote from: Vaanrose on March 15, 2013, 07:27:45 AM


Some texture updates. I got the transparency working relatively well, but now the shader is really dark. His beard texture is much brighter than how it shows up in-game and I'm not sure what settings I need to change to brighten it up. The same shader is on his canes and it renders so dark that all the texture detail is completely lost.
That happens sometimes. The Brawl DAE importer isn't perfect.

Try exporting the model as a .dae from BrawlBox, re-import into 3ds Max with Centimeters as the unit.

Then export it from 3ds max as a .dae, and re-import it into BrawlBox

Quote from: Bluebreon on March 15, 2013, 11:18:42 AM
I like your works guys :)
And speaking of like, here is a project I'm working on
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Ike, hero of time (or Like)
Some rig, textures, materials and other stuff issues will be fixed and improved :angel:
I like Like.



Quote from: Kyouma on March 15, 2013, 01:22:58 PM
tenshi! I could recognize that masochist's hat anywhere...
who are you making her over? I remind you Ill be making a tenshi too o3o
Oh, you eventually getting around to Tenshi is a given, but I didn't feel like waiting.

Little Miss Peach Hat is going over Peach, of course. They already share quite a few moves (dash attack, beam sword forward smash...okay only those two come to mind at the moment). I also had already started on a Tenshi texture for Peach, but since I'm starting to get successful with importing from Maya, I might as well customize the model too.

I plan on one version for Peach's moveset and another version for Tenshi's own PSA that I'll also be making. Just wanted to throw this out there here so you were aware I've had this idea for a while.


I also want to make an Utsuho with a better model and PSA, but that's pretty far off and will require a lot of work. A looooot of work.


Quote from: Kage Ryu on March 15, 2013, 05:14:20 PM
I like Like.



Oh, you eventually getting around to Tenshi is a given, but I didn't feel like waiting.

Little Miss Peach Hat is going over Peach, of course. They already share quite a few moves (dash attack, beam sword forward smash...okay only those two come to mind at the moment). I also had already started on a Tenshi texture for Peach, but since I'm starting to get successful with importing from Maya, I might as well customize the model too.

I plan on one version for Peach's moveset and another version for Tenshi's own PSA that I'll also be making. Just wanted to throw this out there here so you were aware I've had this idea for a while.


I also want to make an Utsuho with a better model and PSA, but that's pretty far off and will require a lot of work. A looooot of work.
oh, my tenshi will be for ike; about utsuhp, I know killing the shoulderNs doesnt make it look good at all, but well, its samus bonese afterall. I can send you zakoneko's model which is the best looking utsuho model out there

Quote from: Nanobuds on March 15, 2013, 04:54:15 PM
That happens sometimes. The Brawl DAE importer isn't perfect.

Try exporting the model as a .dae from BrawlBox, re-import into 3ds Max with Centimeters as the unit.

Then export it from 3ds max as a .dae, and re-import it into BrawlBox

Doing that seems to unlink all of my materials, so all the transparency goes away. When I reapply the transparency, it goes dark again. What exactly is that method supposed to fix? I think I read elsewhere is was to fix normals? Because Cranky's are uniform and all facing outward.

Quote from: HowDoISpaceJam on March 15, 2013, 10:56:47 AM
So you've rigged his sticks to DK's forearms or something? Pretty damn clever. How does he look animated? I imagine it looks pretty funny when he picks up an item. :af: Great job so far.[/size]

His animations are mostly pretty good, a lot better than I thought they'd be when I was modeling him. His walk cycle, for example, looks like it was animated specifically for a character walking on canes. Some of his attacks are a little weird, mostly just the ones where he's punching upward, but for the most part, he looks pretty normal.

Except for when he picks up and uses items, of course. I briefly considered shifting his HaveN joint up to his actual hand, but I figure that would severely limit his range when using items like the beam sword or homerun bat, so I've just left it so items just kind of hover at the base of his cane.


can't wait to put cranky in my brawl!

Quote from: Vaanrose on March 15, 2013, 06:35:10 PM
Doing that seems to unlink all of my materials, so all the transparency goes away. When I reapply the transparency, it goes dark again. What exactly is that method supposed to fix? I think I read elsewhere is was to fix normals? Because Cranky's are uniform and all facing outward.

His animations are mostly pretty good, a lot better than I thought they'd be when I was modeling him. His walk cycle, for example, looks like it was animated specifically for a character walking on canes. Some of his attacks are a little weird, mostly just the ones where he's punching upward, but for the most part, he looks pretty normal.

Except for when he picks up and uses items, of course. I briefly considered shifting his HaveN joint up to his actual hand, but I figure that would severely limit his range when using items like the beam sword or homerun bat, so I've just left it so items just kind of hover at the base of his cane.
What Cull setting are you using for the transparencies?

Quote from: Kyouma on March 15, 2013, 06:32:37 PM
oh, my tenshi will be for ike; about utsuhp, I know killing the shoulderNs doesnt make it look good at all, but well, its samus bonese afterall. I can send you zakoneko's model which is the best looking utsuho model out there
Cool then, our Tenshis should have some pretty unique differences, in that case.

And yeah, if that model is the one I just googled, then send away. I likely won't touch it until I finish Tenshi, but I wouldn't mind having it.
And yeah, Utsuho to Samus seems like a match made in Bhava-Agra at first glance, but Utsuho's design in general is far more complex than Samus and would require extensive time an effort to look even remotely like she fits in the game. You'd practically have to redo the moveset animations to make her look right, what with the hair, wings, cape, skirt, and facial expressions—none of which Samus has. Might as well just make a new PSA—which I intend to.


Quote from: Kage Ryu on March 15, 2013, 08:18:30 PM
Cool then, our Tenshis should have some pretty unique differences, in that case.

And yeah, if that model is the one I just googled, then send away. I likely won't touch it until I finish Tenshi, but I wouldn't mind having it.
And yeah, Utsuho to Samus seems like a match made in Bhava-Agra at first glance, but Utsuho's design in general is far more complex than Samus and would require extensive time an effort to look even remotely like she fits in the game. You'd practically have to redo the moveset animations to make her look right, what with the hair, wings, cape, skirt, and facial expressions—none of which Samus has. Might as well just make a new PSA—which I intend to.
curious because I used zakoneko's utsuho model for samus actually hah
but well, you could also make utsuho for utsuho over diddy kong PSA which dao made long ago but you would need to rig her over peach

ive got to much to finish but ill make this one to


Last update for this rig (really), it is now completely rigged; thanks everyone for their help and advice!