Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 25
Author Topic: DAE Model Importing for Dummies  (Read 104536 times)
the_randomizer
Holy Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Dedicated Hacker Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #45 on: March 21, 2012, 05:18:44 PM »

How can I avoid distortion, especially if I use an already existing FitMotionPac file? I know know how to properly import models into Brawl, the problem is when I imported Lucario over Wolf, using either characters' animation data results in major distortion. While I don't expect my first tests to be perfect, fixing the distortion is something I need to learn.

FallenKing
    Extreme Kitten

• Awards Boygos Certified: Pokemon Master Fiery Topic Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #46 on: March 21, 2012, 09:09:15 PM »

How can I avoid distortion, especially if I use an already existing FitMotionPac file? I know know how to properly import models into Brawl, the problem is when I imported Lucario over Wolf, using either characters' animation data results in major distortion. While I don't expect my first tests to be perfect, fixing the distortion is something I need to learn.

That's what rigging is for. You're doing Lucario over Wolf, right? That means you'll be using Wolf's motion file, and you won't be doing any editing to the motion file. You'll be rigging Lucario's body over Wolf's bones (that's the definition of rigging) so that Wolf's  motion file will work on Lucario.

Don't over-think it. 90% of the work is rigging. Once you've gotten that down, it takes no talent, skill, or effort to do the rest. The rest is just putting things in the right file, blah blah blah.

I've already said this, but I don't think it's a good idea to try to import Brawl characters on your own unless you know how to properly rip/extract the proper model data. I could be wrong, but I don't think ripping Brawl models is any different from importing other game characters; you probably need the Brawl iso along with the appropriate tools.

Since we're just starting out, I think it'd be best if we just used models provided on this site or other websites that provide 3D models. Remember that Zelda topic I linked you to when you asked me how I ripped SS models? Download one of those and look at the files provided as a reference. Those are what you'll need to properly import models using this guide.

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #47 on: March 21, 2012, 09:35:44 PM »

You're right, I'm realizing that hard way that I'm getting too far ahead of myself.  I've already extracted the Brawl ISO image using Wii Backup Fusion so I know what some of the file types are (pac, pcs, common_en, etc). I found a website called models-resource which has many .dae and/or .obj files people ripped from games available for me to use.

I know that rigging involves clicking on edit envelopes and then clicking on "vertices". From there, you highlight the bone(s) you want to edit, then change their weight or influence the vertices have on other neighboring areas (hence the varying colors). Do you keep the arms in their T-pose, bend the arms/legs to look for deformations, reset their position and then weigh them?

Right now I'm experimenting with Golduck over Wolf and I even managed to get it into BrawlBox (albeit without textures for now), and by rigging it (which I assume is the same as weighting or changing the influence), then it'll animate properly with Wolf's animation data, right?

FallenKing
    Extreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #48 on: March 22, 2012, 12:48:49 AM »

I'm so close to separating the legs entirely, but I just can't get this last part done. I've been stuck on it for a really long time.

First, I went to the wireframe view and moved/rotated the bones a lot so that I could find the last problem areas:

You see the single vertex I have boxed? That's gotta be the last problem vertex that's causing my legs to intertwine. If you look at the stretching, it looks like it belongs to both the right and left legs. As of now, I have it rigged to the right leg, but rigging it to the left leg still has both leg wireframs stretched out wrestling for that vertex like you see above.

I've confirmed that rigging that vertex to either leg still causes the legs to be fused together in Brawlbox when I'm in the squatting animation.  I'd appreciate any advice.

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #49 on: March 22, 2012, 09:55:54 AM »

Heh, I thought I was the only one having problems with distortion. So right now, I won't focus on putting Brawl models over Brawl models, but I will now focus on other .obj/.dae files from other games.  I take it I just need to mess around with the vertex weights until I get acceptable results, and I also assume that I need to use the frame slider in 3DS?

FallenKing
    Extreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #50 on: March 22, 2012, 02:20:48 PM »

^^^ yes to all. You'll use the frame slider when you need to do some blending or something like that (it's in the guide). I wouldn't call it "distortion", it's just rigging. Just about everyone who views this topic is gonna have rigging problems, as that's the main part of this guide, and it's the hardest part of importing. lol

What I'm doing is concentrating on one body part at a time. After I rig something like the foot or head or arm, I'll export the dae and preview the animation in Brawlbox. If the animation looks off, I'll keep adjusting the weights until the animation looks smooth. Make sure you save often, and maybe make different save files so that if you messed up somewhere, you can go back to a previous save.

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #51 on: March 22, 2012, 04:38:23 PM »

That's actually a very good idea that I will apply, and I'll probably name them and the part of the model I'm working on (like "Lucario over Mario_RShoulderN" or something like that, so I can keep track.  I know the tutorial says the frames need to be at about 5/100, but does it really matter as long as it isn't at frame 0?

FallenKing
    Extreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #52 on: March 22, 2012, 05:48:58 PM »

Yeah, I have a text file that I use as an update log that keeps track of everything I did for all of my saves. For example:

Rig1 save: fixed the head
    Rig2 save: finished rigging the left arm

As for your other question, I don't think it matters since the tutorial doesn't mention it. Just experiment with it and you'll figure it out.

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #53 on: March 22, 2012, 06:13:05 PM »

Makes sense. I'll try keeping track using a similar method! Now if there was only an easier way to select the vertices I want to work on instead of clicking and dragging....

Edit 7:01PM Well, I'll be darned.... So, if this picture is to be interpreted correctly, I bend the arms, legs, etc, rig the vertices by changing the influence, weight and so on, and import it into BrawlBox....I'm officially scared by the fact I got perceptible results this quick. It ain't much to look at, and the textures are a mess, but all I can say is "wow".  Also, as for resetting the bones (the ones I alter to remove the clipping/bending) is there an easier way to reset them back to their T-pose without losing the altered vertex weight values (like pressing Control+Z)?

Here's a pic, not much, but it is progress (Golduck over Wolf)

Post Merge: March 22, 2012, 08:32:07 PM
    Shouldn't the bones move back to their default position after sliding the frames back to 0?  Because they're not.
    « Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 08:34:42 PM by the_randomizer » Logged

FallenKing
    Extreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #54 on: March 23, 2012, 11:12:52 PM »

Can someone explain how to put in the textures properly? When I tested out my import during gameplay, the eyes don't show up (they're constantly closed), and the hand is colored green like the pants. Here's a pic of how I have my textures set up:

Sorry that took up so much space, but that shows just about everything I have set up on Brawlbox. The preview has Link's hands and eyes perfectly, but when I actually play the game on my Wii, that's when his hand gets discolored and his eyes refuse to show up.

The only thing I did for textures is open the "Texture Data[0]" BRRES, deleted the default "textures" and "palettes" NW4R folders, right clicked, clicked "import folder", and I imported the folder with all of SS Link's png files. They automatically imported 2 folders titled "textures" and "palettes". What did I do wrong?

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #55 on: March 24, 2012, 09:35:52 AM »

Still perplexed as to why I can't easily return the bones I adjust to their original positions once I'm finish blending/weighting the influence. Sure is a pain in the neck having to slide the frame back to 0 and readjusting then.

FallenKing
    Extreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #56 on: March 24, 2012, 01:33:44 PM »

That doesn't really sound like a problem to me, as long as you can get it to work, that's all that matters. Please try to refrain from asking the same question twice in a row. Don't worry, ppl aren't gonna ignore your post just because someone else posted. Lol

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #57 on: March 24, 2012, 07:02:40 PM »

Sorry, I haven't been feeling good all day and my patience levels aren't at their highest. What I can do is note the axis the rotation is at (let's say we move an arm to the left by Y:-50, I simply do the opposite and go +50).

FallenKing
    Extreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #58 on: March 29, 2012, 08:18:15 PM »

Almost all of the models I download get this error when I try to import into Brawlbox:

It even happens when I export an untouched DAE model of the non-brawl character (Thor in this case). That is, I import the model without the brawl skeleton, and I immediately export the model as a new DAE file. Then, I'll try to import it into Brawlbox and I'll get that error. Thing is, this doesn't happen every time. It worked for SS Link and X23 from UMVC3. Am I just getting bad models? I'm downloading from models-resource.com.

Maybe some of my importing options are set incorrectly?

EDIT (SOLVED): turns out, my import settings were off. All I had to do was uncheck "remap materials". lol

Damn, I thought I solved the problem, but the model only shows up on Brawlbox. Like I said, I unchecked "remap materials", and it successfully previews on BB with animations and everything. When I try to play it on the Wii, it freezes up after the character selection screen.

I'm trying to import Thor on Ganondorf. All I did was replace the textures in the texture file, and replaced Ganon's model with the Thor model as I'm supposed to. I did this for both the pcs and pac file. Is there something else that I need to do?
    « Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 06:03:42 PM by FaIIenKing » Logged

Naruto200Man
    Badace Kitten

Guy: Go fourth and Brawl! Lee: Yes Guy Sensei!

• Awards Hot Topic Heart Container Dedicated Hacker KCMM Veteran

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #59 on: March 30, 2012, 11:15:37 PM »

Will you please make a one-slot mod tutorial for DAE imports?
    I mean one that works even if you move the bones of a character around. :/

Pages:  1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 25
    Print
    Jump to: