DAE Model Importing for Dummies

Started by BlackJax96, February 24, 2012, 02:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

July 02, 2012, 02:53:45 PM #240 Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 02:55:20 PM by ExorcistRain
Check your import settings, check your export settings, and most importantly, Reset before importing Brawl .daes. Also make sure all polygons are rigged and that every bone is in the skin modifier for each polygon.

BJ, I think you should add to the OP in big, big red letters that if you import Brawl .daes intending to keep their rigging or when reimporting .daes for editing, you HAVE to Reset.

burning questions? contact me at bjelkiers.tumblr.com

Quick question before I start rigging a model...

If the model is already rigged to a skeleton, will importing it to 3DS lose that memory (in other words, will I have to rerig everything?)


Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Quote from: drogoth232 on July 03, 2012, 12:41:15 AMQuick question before I start rigging a model... If the model is already rigged to a skeleton, will importing it to 3DS lose that memory (in other words, will I have to rerig everything?)
Well you would have to use the bones from Brawl in order to get that model into the game.
NNID: Cha0sKnight     3DS FC: 4768-7680-2509

Its already in Brawl. I just want to attach a polygon to a different bone.


Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Quote from: drogoth232 on July 03, 2012, 07:41:45 PM
Its already in Brawl. I just want to attach a polygon to a different bone.
There's a tutorial on how to do that somewhere on the forums.
Click Sig For My Tutorial Thread

I'm Just You're Friendly Forum Pseudo Narcissist
[spoiler]
Quote from: Ricky (Br3) on June 25, 2014, 06:40:22 PM
[white]This is Nyan. She He is indeed random and also definitely not a pervert.
I Will Accept Everyone's Faults As Long As They're Not Annoying.

July 13, 2012, 06:51:39 PM #245 Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:22:34 PM by SomeKindOfMetroid
For the filesize reducing step, how do you know which objects have which textures? I know the names of the textures being used, but I can't find them anywhere in 3DS Max.

Another question: On the model I'm importing, the highest-index object is a sort of blocky outline that covers the entire model. If I leave it in when exporting, the model gives a "given key was not present in the directory" error when imported into BrawlBox. If I delete it the model imports fine. What is it and should I be worried about it?

EDIT: Whoa, is that the shadow? If so, that's really convenient. I can just make a model out of it and rig it to FitSzerosuitShd...

Also, the screenshot of export settings shows Inches for units, but that screws the model up (makes the objects lie on the floor as the wrong size, while the skeleton is unaffected). It should be centimeters.

Quote from: SomeKindOfMetroid on July 13, 2012, 06:51:39 PM
For the filesize reducing step, how do you know which objects have which textures? I know the names of the textures being used, but I can't find them anywhere in 3DS Max.

Another question: On the model I'm importing, the highest-index object is a sort of blocky outline that covers the entire model. If I leave it in when exporting, the model gives a "given key was not present in the directory" error when imported into BrawlBox. If I delete it the model imports fine. What is it and should I be worried about it?

EDIT: Whoa, is that the shadow? If so, that's really convenient. I can just make a model out of it and rig it to FitSzerosuitShd...

Also, the screenshot of export settings shows Inches for units, but that screws the model up (makes the objects lie on the floor as the wrong size, while the skeleton is unaffected). It should be centimeters.

The name of the texture should be in the objects name.
Ex. Object name = head
Texture name = head+ some numbers
It's usually something like that.
Click Sig For My Tutorial Thread

I'm Just You're Friendly Forum Pseudo Narcissist
[spoiler]
Quote from: Ricky (Br3) on June 25, 2014, 06:40:22 PM
[white]This is Nyan. She He is indeed random and also definitely not a pervert.
I Will Accept Everyone's Faults As Long As They're Not Annoying.

Quote from: SomeKindOfMetroid on July 13, 2012, 06:51:39 PM
For the filesize reducing step, how do you know which objects have which textures? I know the names of the textures being used, but I can't find them anywhere in 3DS Max.

Another question: On the model I'm importing, the highest-index object is a sort of blocky outline that covers the entire model. If I leave it in when exporting, the model gives a "given key was not present in the directory" error when imported into BrawlBox. If I delete it the model imports fine. What is it and should I be worried about it?

EDIT: Whoa, is that the shadow? If so, that's really convenient. I can just make a model out of it and rig it to FitSzerosuitShd...

Also, the screenshot of export settings shows Inches for units, but that screws the model up (makes the objects lie on the floor as the wrong size, while the skeleton is unaffected). It should be centimeters.


If you checked "Bitmap" in the Material ID Detacher script, the objects will be named the texture with an index.

And the export settings are correct.

The import settings are centimeters. The export settings are inches.
If you happen to import as inches, then export with centimeters.

You always need to keep the Scale Factor at 1.0 on import and export.

All you have to do is click Add bones, select the bones to add, and then click ok. As long as you've imported the bone tree, I don't see how you could have problems adding bones.

Quote from: pieme619 on July 16, 2012, 09:35:41 PM
All you have to do is click Add bones, select the bones to add, and then click ok. As long as you've imported the bone tree, I don't see how you could have problems adding bones.

*facepalm* I meant your question, not my answer.

will the tutorial actually go on, or will this keep being a A/A thread?

Quote from: jokekid on July 16, 2012, 09:53:40 PM
will the tutorial actually go on, or will this keep being a A/A thread?

I dunno lol
I really dunno.


For some reason, when I get to deleting the polygons in 3DS max, they just won't delete. D:

Hey guys,

I've been following your guide, but I just can't get the .DAE to import correctly. I've tried different plugins, even the ones you linked to. I'm using 3DS Max 2010. Whenever I import my Ganondorf looks like this:

http://imgur.com/a/IFx4L

I've tried both Ganondorf and Wolf (Wolf looks even WORSE! :P) I tried the .DAE creating progress with both Brawlbox 0.65 and 0.67. I really don't know what I am doing wrong. I downloaded a .DAE model from a different game and it imports just fine.

It would be great if I could get some help so I could get started! :(