Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Star Ocean III - Till The End of Time  (Read 3914 times)
mariokart64n
Hacker & 2D/3D Modder
Supreme Kitten

All Hail To The Mario Baby!

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Famous Hacker Favorite'd

• View Profile Awards
    « on: June 20, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »

I wanted to get the models from this game, and figured I would store my progress here.. others can follow and help or learn whatever.

So far I've got the files extracted and have just been looking over the file formats.. I usually start by finding my target file.. a file that contains model data. Then I write a quick tool to import vertices from the file, that lets me take pokes at the data. Then I can make a determination on if I have targeted the right file or not...

If everythings cool, I further inspect the file, trying to search for patterns. Once the patterns are found you can start to form an idea of how the file is written. And further from that you'll be able to find adderss tables or counts that you'll need to help you automate reading of the file...

Now if your interested in how to get data files off your game disc, this is what I did last night;
    - Download imgBurn (www.imgburn.com) use that to make a copy of your disc into a ISO file
    - Use CUE's ISO extractor on your ISO file (http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=7790.15)
    > I had to compile it, here download my exe, compiled on win7 64bit (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/86746436/StarOcean3_dumptools.7z) requires 7zip to unpack
    > the tool is command line here is an example of what to type "triAce-PS2.exe starocean3.iso C:\starocean3\"

and thats about it, your files spit out, but they'll be alot of different file types. SLZ files are compressed and should be uncompressed using either the BMS script or CUE's slz.exe program.. which you can just drag and drop files to

As far as the file cracking, heres a pic of the FPS format, which I believe to be the mesh file.

That pattern near the end is a repeating pattern, so infact they are the vertices that makeup the model. for every 3 vertices a face is formed between them.. so its pretty simple. the start of the file contains information on how to make a program read these vertices automatically for us..

Anyway just wanted to post this, it'll likely be well into the weekend before I get time to do anything

Luka Megurine by mariokart64n
    [Character-ImportModel-Zelda]

ramonM64
    Supreme Kitten

moving past the feeling

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Pin Collector Starstormer Renowned Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 04:30:59 PM »

that wall of text up there is a cause of many headaches..

wh00t     really psyched to see how this turns out

a question, for the program yer planning, how exactly will the program-use process go? i mean.. will you be able to drag yer files on it and it throws out a .obj file? will it be able to read and throw out textures and stuff as well? or is it a combination of those two except being a 3ds max script?

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: