[General] Custom made models

Started by Ricky (Br3), November 15, 2012, 01:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Quote from: Vaanrose on April 13, 2013, 01:25:34 AM
BJ says normal maps work in Brawl. Haven't tried it myself, but...

They sure do. It's not too hard to set up, provided you have the textures.

Although, by "Normal" maps you mean things like "Spec" maps or stuff like that, right? I'm still a little green when it comes to actual 3D modeling lingo.


Nope. Normal maps are different than Spec maps. Spec maps affect how much light bounces off an object; an object's shininess. Normal maps affect what direction light bounces off an object; how round is the object. They're best used in conjunction. Until a day or two ago I didn't think Brawl used normal maps, but BJ said he found normal map calls in the files. So... theoretically they work. Check out Nanobud's spec map tutorial. That's where we talked about the differences more in depth.

I only brought it up because the only reason to do a high-poly sculpt is to create a normal map, and sometimes a texture map. And it looks like Kage is using Zbrush. Or maybe Mudbox. But either way, not a model that will actually work in game in its current state.


Quote from: Vaanrose on April 13, 2013, 01:47:34 AM
I only brought it up because the only reason to do a high-poly sculpt is to create a normal map, and sometimes a texture map. And it looks like Kage is using Zbrush. Or maybe Mudbox. But either way, not a model that will actually work in game in its current state.
Yup, Zbrush.
Also, I find sculpting more fun than straight modeling, at least for organic shapes. And I don't find retopologizing for the low poly as horrible as most Zbrush users I've met do.

...Also there's the matter that there'll probably be a more definite idea of how Brawlbox can use normal maps by the time I'm done with it, so I can just leech that knowledge...


April 13, 2013, 01:55:34 AM #183 Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:56:54 AM by russmarrs2
Quote from: Kage Ryu on April 13, 2013, 01:17:07 AM
This thread needs moar love. The WIP Workshop thread is taking all the attention.
That, and more people need to make custom models...

So, started on this. If you know who this character is, you are awesome:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

yeah, I saw that guy on the 3ds e-shop yesterday. lol. nice model though, and excellent Mewthree Vaanrose.

Since I said I'd do this long ago, I think is time I show the little progress I have.
I saw a request to import this
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


And so for I have this. Created a base mesh, gave it a simple unwrap for a pattern (chainmail like atm). I also have made the sword and most of the armor. I am not really good at texturing so for now that is on hold, I only unwrapped the sword and gave it a solid texture. Hands are Ike's btw, got lazy there.



Suggestions, opinions, etc are welcome


Reminds me of Tiger and Bunny. O.o
NNID: Cha0sKnight     3DS FC: 4768-7680-2509

Hand the textures off to me when you're done with the basic stuff, lwvi?

I'd love to texture and make spec maps for this!

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


Working on a Sheik model that has her face revealed. Still uncertain about the current hairstyle. I may model a more conventional kunoichi style with frontal bangs and a higher positioned ponytail. But not yet.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


Besides that, completely reworked the body. Has a more feminine shape. Also, it's fully rigged and articulated alongside the original Sheik model.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


However I'm having two issues... First, her eyes will not show properly (in game) and I'm unsure how to get them back. If I do add Zelda's eye shapes w/textures, it causes problems, and sometimes makes the game freeze. Even though I added the textures. In Brawl minus, the entire game freezes at stage select. Project M, however, has no major problems loading up thus far. <- This indicates a serious problem in the model itself, and I have no idea how to fix it! (I make models, not code games! :3)

(No screenshots yet)

Did you use the original materials and shaders from Sheik's original brawl model?

April 15, 2013, 03:52:32 AM #190 Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 04:10:01 AM by xbeton0l
Yes, mostly. The only new texture is from Zelda's .pac and I edited it to cover the entire sphere of her head. (I remade a new scalp for her)

Everything I used in the scene, which was only that one additional image, I included in Sheik's pac/pcs files.

Hmm

Well when the model is done, and if you're still having problems, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'd be more than happy to take a look at it and see what the problem could be.

April 15, 2013, 05:26:34 AM #192 Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 05:27:56 AM by xbeton0l
Oh, I've already run a few tests with the model myself! ^^ I'll send what I have directly to you.

Note: I've only successfully tested on Project M. Brawl- tends to freeze upon choosing a stage.

Shot in the dark, but what's your file size looking like? Whether a character loads or crashes is usually an issue with file size. It's the character's file size, plus the size of the character's FitMotionEtc (explaining why the mod would work with one moveset and not the other; Project M probably has a smaller file size.)

Don't quote me on this, but I think Zelda and Sheik share total file size, too, so a smaller Zelda file can allow a larger Sheik file size before crashing, and vice versa.


April 15, 2013, 06:24:33 AM #194 Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 06:35:32 AM by xbeton0l
You may have a point. Though I'm not entirely sure if Sheik's files are over-limit, whatever limit that should be, it does seem to work without error in Project M. I sent Nanobuds a copy of my project files, but if you think you can find out what's wrong with it I'll send you the files as well.

Now, call this intuition, but I think there may be something in relation to the codes loaded from RSBE01.gct. I managed to install several Minus characters, including my modded Sheik, under the Project M engine and everything seems to work fine. Also, the only major difference in my files is that I added a texture for Zelda's face, in addition to the already-existing textures that Sheik has. This could very well be the problem.

Overall, the model I made has fewer polygons than Sheik's original model, even with the new ponytail and body (I'm the master of low polys, :P). Thus the model's size should be smaller. I'll do a direct MDL0 comparison (Old ➙ New) soon to verify this.

Edit: The original mdl0 is 264 KB (271,244 B). The modified mdl0 is 409 KB (419,352 B). Difference of 145 KB (148,108 KB), or a 54.6% increase in file size.