Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 30
Author Topic: [General] Custom made models  (Read 235394 times)
Spex130
Holy Kitten

So very Spexcellent.

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Starstormer Hyperactive Contributor Renowned Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #180 on: April 12, 2013, 07:37:33 PM »

BJ says normal maps work in Brawl. Haven't tried it myself, but...

They sure do. It's not too hard to set up, provided you have the textures.

Although, by "Normal" maps you mean things like "Spec" maps or stuff like that, right? I'm still a little green when it comes to actual 3D modeling lingo.

Vaanrose
    Hyper Kitten

Moetwo

• Awards Fiery Topic Famous Hacker Starstormer Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #181 on: April 12, 2013, 07:47:34 PM »

Nope. Normal maps are different than Spec maps. Spec maps affect how much light bounces off an object; an object's shininess. Normal maps affect what direction light bounces off an object; how round is the object. They're best used in conjunction. Until a day or two ago I didn't think Brawl used normal maps, but BJ said he found normal map calls in the files. So... theoretically they work. Check out Nanobud's spec map tutorial. That's where we talked about the differences more in depth.

I only brought it up because the only reason to do a high-poly sculpt is to create a normal map, and sometimes a texture map. And it looks like Kage is using Zbrush. Or maybe Mudbox. But either way, not a model that will actually work in game in its current state.

Kage Ryu
    Supreme Kitten

The Infrequent Modder

• Awards Heart Container Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #182 on: April 12, 2013, 07:54:43 PM »

I only brought it up because the only reason to do a high-poly sculpt is to create a normal map, and sometimes a texture map. And it looks like Kage is using Zbrush. Or maybe Mudbox. But either way, not a model that will actually work in game in its current state.
    Yup, Zbrush.
    Also, I find sculpting more fun than straight modeling, at least for organic shapes. And I don't find retopologizing for the low poly as horrible as most Zbrush users I've met do.

...Also there's the matter that there'll probably be a more definite idea of how Brawlbox can use normal maps by the time I'm done with it, so I can just leech that knowledge...

russmarrs2
    Extreme Kitten

Wahaa...

• Awards Diamond in the Rough Starstormer Renowned Hacker Active Contributor

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #183 on: April 12, 2013, 07:55:34 PM »

This thread needs moar love. The WIP Workshop thread is taking all the attention.
    That, and more people need to make custom models...

So, started on this. If you know who this character is, you are awesome:

Still very much in the block-out stage. And probably won't be finished anytime soon. But hey, one of his games came out yesterday, so I figured I'd start on it.

Also not sure if I want to retopologize it now and adjust the low poly for accuracy, or finish the high poly and retop later.

yeah, I saw that guy on the 3ds e-shop yesterday. lol. nice model though, and excellent Mewthree Vaanrose.
    « Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 07:56:54 PM by russmarrs2 » Logged

Iwvi
    Cronic Procrastinator
    Heroic Kitten

Temporarily retired

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Fiery Topic Renowned Hacker Star Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #184 on: April 12, 2013, 11:07:17 PM »

Since I said I'd do this long ago, I think is time I show the little progress I have.
    I saw a request to import this

And so for I have this. Created a base mesh, gave it a simple unwrap for a pattern (chainmail like atm). I also have made the sword and most of the armor. I am not really good at texturing so for now that is on hold, I only unwrapped the sword and gave it a solid texture. Hands are Ike's btw, got lazy there.

Suggestions, opinions, etc are welcome

russmarrs2
    Extreme Kitten

Wahaa...

• Awards Diamond in the Rough Starstormer Renowned Hacker Active Contributor

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #185 on: April 13, 2013, 07:57:55 AM »

that's gonna look awesome. Grin

Chaos_Knight
    Boss Kitten

I squid you not.

• Awards Fiery Topic Heart Container Starstormer Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #186 on: April 13, 2013, 08:04:35 AM »

Reminds me of Tiger and Bunny. O.o

NNID: Cha0sKnight     3DS FC: 4768-7680-2509

Velen
    Resident Lucario
    Boss Kitten

Insert totally self gratifying [censored] here. ; )

• Awards Famous Hacker Sniper Heart Container Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #187 on: April 13, 2013, 08:48:16 AM »

Hand the textures off to me when you're done with the basic stuff, lwvi?

I'd love to texture and make spec maps for this!

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

xbeton0l
    Intermediate Kitten

• Awards Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #188 on: April 14, 2013, 08:30:36 PM »

Working on a Sheik model that has her face revealed. Still uncertain about the current hairstyle. I may model a more conventional kunoichi style with frontal bangs and a higher positioned ponytail. But not yet.

Besides that, completely reworked the body. Has a more feminine shape. Also, it's fully rigged and articulated alongside the original Sheik model.

However I'm having two issues... First, her eyes will not show properly (in game) and I'm unsure how to get them back. If I do add Zelda's eye shapes w/textures, it causes problems, and sometimes makes the game freeze. Even though I added the textures. In Brawl minus, the entire game freezes at stage select. Project M, however, has no major problems loading up thus far. <- This indicates a serious problem in the model itself, and I have no idea how to fix it! (I make models, not code games! :3)

(No screenshots yet)

nanobuds
    Overlord Kitten

• Awards Former PMDT Sniper Diamond in the Rough >9000

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #189 on: April 14, 2013, 09:47:29 PM »

Did you use the original materials and shaders from Sheik's original brawl model?

xbeton0l
    Intermediate Kitten

• Awards Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #190 on: April 14, 2013, 09:52:32 PM »

Yes, mostly. The only new texture is from Zelda's .pac and I edited it to cover the entire sphere of her head. (I remade a new scalp for her)

Everything I used in the scene, which was only that one additional image, I included in Sheik's pac/pcs files.
    « Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 10:10:01 PM by xbeton0l » Logged

nanobuds
    Overlord Kitten

• Awards Former PMDT Sniper Diamond in the Rough >9000

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #191 on: April 14, 2013, 10:22:36 PM »

Hmm

Well when the model is done, and if you're still having problems, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'd be more than happy to take a look at it and see what the problem could be.

xbeton0l
    Intermediate Kitten

• Awards Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #192 on: April 14, 2013, 11:26:34 PM »

Oh, I've already run a few tests with the model myself! ^^ I'll send what I have directly to you.

Note: I've only successfully tested on Project M. Brawl- tends to freeze upon choosing a stage.
    « Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:27:56 PM by xbeton0l » Logged

Vaanrose
    Hyper Kitten

Moetwo

• Awards Fiery Topic Famous Hacker Starstormer Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #193 on: April 15, 2013, 12:12:30 AM »

Shot in the dark, but what's your file size looking like? Whether a character loads or crashes is usually an issue with file size. It's the character's file size, plus the size of the character's FitMotionEtc (explaining why the mod would work with one moveset and not the other; Project M probably has a smaller file size.)

Don't quote me on this, but I think Zelda and Sheik share total file size, too, so a smaller Zelda file can allow a larger Sheik file size before crashing, and vice versa.

xbeton0l
    Intermediate Kitten

• Awards Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #194 on: April 15, 2013, 12:24:33 AM »

You may have a point. Though I'm not entirely sure if Sheik's files are over-limit, whatever limit that should be, it does seem to work without error in Project M. I sent Nanobuds a copy of my project files, but if you think you can find out what's wrong with it I'll send you the files as well.

Now, call this intuition, but I think there may be something in relation to the codes loaded from RSBE01.gct. I managed to install several Minus characters, including my modded Sheik, under the Project M engine and everything seems to work fine. Also, the only major difference in my files is that I added a texture for Zelda's face, in addition to the already-existing textures that Sheik has. This could very well be the problem.

Overall, the model I made has fewer polygons than Sheik's original model, even with the new ponytail and body (I'm the master of low polys, Tongue). Thus the model's size should be smaller. I'll do a direct MDL0 comparison (Old ➙ New) soon to verify this.

Edit: The original mdl0 is 264 KB (271,244 B). The modified mdl0 is 409 KB (419,352 B). Difference of 145 KB (148,108 KB), or a 54.6% increase in file size.
    « Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:35:32 AM by xbeton0l » Logged

Pages:  1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 30
    Print
    Jump to: