Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Poll
Question: I'm at an attempt to get back to Brawl Modding!
Yay!
Boo!
Who are you?

Pages:  1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 67
Author Topic: A Bloody Canadian's PSA Thread - Shinda Remake  (Read 288558 times)
JamietheAuraUser
Extreme Kitten

Deadly Flower

• Awards Starstormer Constructive

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #555 on: September 03, 2013, 08:10:49 AM »

Even if it's not a jump interrupt and just a general issue of IASA frames, her Up Smash could still use the boost. It really isn't that useful as is. And what I said about reducing traction so she can slide with it still applies regardless of interrupt/no interrupt.

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
    "We're the Mythbusters, we blow **** up." -- Adam Savage

"No, the solution is not to make a gatling gun out of bazookas."

ABloodyCanadian
    Ellipsis Abuser…
    Heroic Kitten

Background processes...

• Awards KCMM Veteran Super Saiyan Topic Hey! Listen! Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #556 on: September 03, 2013, 08:21:42 AM »

I guess I could give her some sliding. But I don't see the need for the interrupt in the Up Smash. Or maybe it's the fact that I don't understand the problem.

JamietheAuraUser
    Extreme Kitten

Deadly Flower

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #557 on: September 03, 2013, 08:36:32 AM »

The machine gun is entirely based on damage-building. That's what it does. Therefore, if you're gonna use the machine gun, you're going to want to be able to chain attacks together. The issue is that Up Smash has slightly too much launch power and leaves her turned around, so if you try to follow up you're stuck using her rather mediocre Back Aerial (granted, that move is about to be on the chopping block, so this might be something of a moot point), and you more than likely won't hit with all of it, either! And I'm not sure exactly why, but somehow landing Up Aerial after it is really difficult as well. I think because the endlag is long enough that the foe can simply fall far enough away from you that your jump doesn't reach.

That, and the fact that it can't be used while sliding makes it not terribly useful as an approach move either, and it doesn't move her forward, so it doesn't really have much of a place in a ground-based chain. (I haven't tried using it in place of Down Smash in my Up Tilt > Down Aerial > Forward Smash > Down Smash chain, though. But I suspect it doesn't really have enough range for that, or that if it does it won't hit well enough to drag the foe up with it like it's supposed to.) The reason I suggested a jump interrupt is so the player could jump after the foe while they're still on their way up from the knockback, and follow up with Forward Aerial or Neutral Aerial.

Essentially, the problem with the machine gun's Up Smash is that it's an attack that doesn't really follow well out of any other move, doesn't lead well into any other move, and doesn't work very well as an approach, unlike Forward Smash and Down Smash which both cover her in hitboxes while moving her forward.

ABloodyCanadian
    Ellipsis Abuser…
    Heroic Kitten

Background processes...

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #558 on: September 03, 2013, 08:53:06 AM »

But is Up Smash really supposed to chain into any attacks? Now that I have a general idea about GSS's playstyle, I need to change a few things. She can still have some combos, but I want her to focus more on moving around.

I'll take it into consideration though...

JamietheAuraUser
    Extreme Kitten

Deadly Flower

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #559 on: September 03, 2013, 09:03:14 AM »

The issue isn't just the lack of a chain, though. As I said, it doesn't really work as an approach. It's also horribly punishable if the foe shields/dodges it, as they only have to shield/avoid the first three hits before the rest of it is just her sitting wide open, and it has the amazing quality of launching the foe just high enough for her to eat Dark Lord Ganon's or Captain Falcon's Down Aerial, or really any descending Aerial or Special, before she can recover. Though, it's highly probable I could just shield the returning Down Aerial. (I should get more in the habit of using my shield, I'm far too dodge-happy.) But is that really a situation GSS wants to be in?

And actually, the coolest part about her playstyle is how she just moves anyway, just in the process of launching attack chains or just plain old fighting, almost every attack has applications both for offence and mobility, as well as actually some decent defensive properties despite her light weight. Down Smash could probably work for dodging projectiles, and is great for simply getting under a foe's guard with the second part, for instance, while Forward Smash covers her in hitboxes while moving forward and is great for clanking with weaker attacks launched by foes.
    « Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:08:28 AM by JamietheAuraUser » Logged

ABloodyCanadian
    Ellipsis Abuser…
    Heroic Kitten

Background processes...

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #560 on: September 03, 2013, 09:07:20 AM »

Now you say something that has me thinking... lol. Add more knockback, problem solved. Still punishable, but it's a smash attack.

JamietheAuraUser
    Extreme Kitten

Deadly Flower

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #561 on: September 03, 2013, 09:11:54 AM »

Oh yeah, sorry, left an edit right after you posted. Stuff to do with your comment on a more mobility-based playstyle.

I still think that along with a knockback buff, Up Smash really does need just a little bit more slide. That combination actually gives it a very good use as a more defensively-minded move. Sorta like rushing in for the sole purpose of hitting the foe with Beast in Tales of Symphonia, if you've ever played that game. =D

ABloodyCanadian
    Ellipsis Abuser…
    Heroic Kitten

Background processes...

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #562 on: September 03, 2013, 09:20:27 AM »

Nope. But I think I have the idea...

ABloodyCanadian
    Ellipsis Abuser…
    Heroic Kitten

Background processes...

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #563 on: September 05, 2013, 09:48:55 PM »

I decided to go and give GSS's Aerial moves unique animations based on guns. Meaning that her Down Air will have a different animation, and will most likely work differently. Neutral Air for the most part won't be changed...

ABloodyCanadian
    Ellipsis Abuser…
    Heroic Kitten

Background processes...

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #564 on: September 10, 2013, 09:04:12 AM »

I'm just curious if any of you would be interested in playtesting the PSA in it's current developmental state. I can post a DropBox Link that'll be updated as time goes on.

JamietheAuraUser
    Extreme Kitten

Deadly Flower

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #565 on: September 10, 2013, 09:50:31 AM »

Playtesting stuffs is basically always cool.

As an aside, that Up Tilt > Down Aerial > Forward Smash > Down Smash chain isn't as reliable as I remember it being. I just ran some more tests with it. But, it's still quite useful and quite fun, and hard to counter if your name isn't Meta Knight. (That 2-frame Up Aerial is ridiculous.)

And now for some feedback regarding animations in v0.9. Side Tilt. Her back leg, with her foot planted on the ground and her knee pointed up, looks sort of messed up. Might I recommend turning her leg sideways, so that she uses the inside edge of her foot to balance herself? Also, her eyes look the wrong way during that move. As in, she looks AWAY from her opponent for some reason.

And you know how you said that your scn0 for GSS's victory didn't work, right? Did you name your STGRESULT.pac properly? If you're using Riivolution, it's STGRESULT_en.pac. I haven't tried inserting the scn0 myself, though...

ABloodyCanadian
    Ellipsis Abuser…
    Heroic Kitten

Background processes...

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #566 on: September 10, 2013, 10:02:44 AM »

Nope. Gecko here. When I say it didn't work, I meant that I can see stretched out Polygons Everywhere when that Victory Animation plays. I made a Help topic on it, but no solution was found.

JamietheAuraUser
    Extreme Kitten

Deadly Flower

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #567 on: September 10, 2013, 10:06:23 AM »

Huh. Odd, that.

So the stretched polygons glitch can be caused by the camera as well as the animation itself? Good to know...

But yeah, I eventually gave up and started using Riivo because I wanted voice hacks.

Any thoughts on my animation advice?

ABloodyCanadian
    Ellipsis Abuser…
    Heroic Kitten

Background processes...

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #568 on: September 10, 2013, 10:13:15 AM »

I did stuff to it... lol. Her right leg now rests on the ground instead of just her foot.

As far as progress goes, I made new animations to some of the attacks, and have ideas for others as well. List includes...

Dodging Animations
    Jab (You've seen it already)
    Machinegun Back Air
    Machinegun Up Air
    Handgun Down Air
    Ground Machinegun and Aerial Neutral Special

ABloodyCanadian
    Ellipsis Abuser…
    Heroic Kitten

Background processes...

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #569 on: September 13, 2013, 02:35:34 PM »

Moar Polls... This one is about the Side Special. It would be nice to know how I can fix it if you do have problems.

Pages:  1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 67
    Print
    Jump to: