Stage Workshop

Started by LegacyWolf, February 02, 2013, 09:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Quote from: King Harkinian (a.k.a. Gnorc) on January 30, 2014, 07:12:00 AMmight need alfonzo there too XD
"Leave it to me!"
[white]: SW-2632-7270-6724[/white]


Quote from: 悪魔スレイヤーX8 on January 30, 2014, 07:39:09 AM
lol dont forget, these r ripped models and textures from the DS game.. so its like very low poly.

total poly's/faces - 5593

VERY VERY LOW POLY!!!

Before resize
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


after reseize
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Geezus. That overworld needs a lot of texture work.
NNID: Cha0sKnight     3DS FC: 4768-7680-2509

Took a break from improving vBrawl stages and deciding to try making something new.

I present to you an incredibly early version of Nimbus Land:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


This will be a personal recreation of one of the Mario RPG levels because I thought it would be an awesome theme for a level.

As far as finishing it, I think I'm going to shrink the Beanstalks nearest the stage as well as adding another one (with leaf) to the opposite end. Oh and the background will need some major working to make it less dull - thinking clouds and more Beanstalks.

If anyone could explain to me (via PM or whatever) how I could make the leaves dip down when you stand on them (like in Distant Planet), that would be great! =]

The Dipping leaves are done through already premade elements from DP. You need to base your stage on distant planet.

As for the stage, I would recommend having the Nimbus Castle(Sorry I can't remember the exact name of it, but it's the castle that Valetina has taken over when you first arrive) in the background.

January 30, 2014, 08:56:26 PM #379 Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 01:55:45 AM by Syvkal
I can easily import everything I've done into distant planet, however, I've not yet been able to figure out how to map the bones to a different model (other than the leaves they currently use)...

As for the castle... I think I know somewhere to find a full 3D model of that (relatively low quality), but I doubt I would be able to export it in a format that I can load into brawlbox... I'll have a look :P

:EDIT: Ok well the model I was thinking of is in a custom Garry's Mod stage... and I don't know how to contact the creator to ask permission to use it (nor do I have Garry's Mod or the capability to rip the model from it)...
Ah well, lots of Beanstalks, clouds and (hopefully) spinning mario coins :P

Post Merge: January 31, 2014, 01:54:20 AM

Update on my stage, it's coming together nicely ^-^

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


I just need to add some clouds around the Beanstalks in the background (positions of them aren't 100% fixed), then I'm hopefully going to have some gold coins floating around some of the stalks and finally - if I can find/animate them - some paratroopers flying around in the background :P

Oh and I should probably stick a few more leaves in here and there xD

I spent a bunch of time tinkering with BrawlBox, got the full stage ingame, but was having a bunch of problems with transparency shaders and stuff.  So after spending a silly amount of time trying to research how to do it... I gave up.

Then I worked more on background assets.



Created the small town to the left of the tower
Created simple log bridges to go across the rivers
Added mountains/clouds to the skydome to make the sky more interesting.
Created textures for the doors on the main platform.

i am loving it pal!
https://privateladyescorts.com - Free Local Dating - No Selfie - Anonymous Casual Dating -   Video Chat Private Lady

Too much going on???

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


Also, looking good LlamaJuice!

I'm loving it too LlamaJuice... which is why I have to tell you that the stage as is with those poly/edge/tri counts is almost guaranteed to lag in 4 player situations.

I would simplify the background or lower the poly count/fidelity of the surrounding area while still finding a way to make it look good. I would say look at other Brawl stages for how they handle it in unrestricted pause camera in game.

The stage itself is excellent.

Like I said, I would recommend 50K or less.

maybe get rid of one of the main green ones, to make space for the other colors?
idk, it does seem kind of busy, but the "fog" makes it fall far enough in the background for it not to be a problem in a fight...

so yeah, i think it could be better, but it could also be worse, just imagine all those things dancing around... xD

January 31, 2014, 09:09:52 PM #385 Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 09:12:52 PM by Syvkal
Dancing around you say? Haha! Now I feel the need to animate them all! Neah, just kidding :P

Ok, so I've got rid of most of them and replaced some of the larger green ones and replaced it with blue. Red has stayed put. Yellow has got sparser and more to the outer parts of the level.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


Any better? Also, its not this zoomed out ingame, so it the picture actually seems more chaotic... but I wanted to show off the entire stage :P

Once this is down, its clouds and Parakooper time! ^-^

:EDIT: Actually... I dunno where I'd put the clouds now... xD

Quote from: Eternal Yoshi on January 31, 2014, 08:16:04 PM
I'm loving it too LlamaJuice... which is why I have to tell you that the stage as is with those poly/edge/tri counts is almost guaranteed to lag in 4 player situations.

I would simplify the background or lower the poly count/fidelity of the surrounding area while still finding a way to make it look good. I would say look at other Brawl stages for how they handle it in unrestricted pause camera in game.

The stage itself is excellent.

Like I said, I would recommend 50K or less.

Thanks sir!  I've been pretty conservative with my polycount, trying to keep everything pretty low poly while still looking good.  All of the mountains put together are only 5,000 triangles for example.  I could squeeze it down to 50K probably, right now I think everything in the stage put together is close to 65K, but I can trim it up a bit and get it down to 50K.  Most of those mountains don't have any faces showing on the backsides, for example, and each town is a total of around 150 triangles.  I was told that with the new tristripping magic that we're able to have up to 80,000 triangles, and when I was looked through the stages included with Project M3.0 I saw that Skyloft was able to run fairly well with 100,000 triangles.

I plan on making the mountains and such look reflective off of the water as well, and so that'll be another chunk of polys that I'll have to go through haha.

@Syvkal, looks good buddy.  I like it better without as many beanstalks going up.  The color variation is also really nice.  The one thing that kinda stands out is the green/blue stalks in the top right corner are the same mesh and very close together, so it looks strange to have identical curve in the stalk that close together.

January 31, 2014, 10:20:35 PM #387 Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:35:16 PM by Syvkal
Quote from: LlamaJuice on January 31, 2014, 10:17:10 PM@Syvkal, looks good buddy.  I like it better without as many beanstalks going up.  The color variation is also really nice.  The one thing that kinda stands out is the green/blue stalks in the top right corner are the same mesh and very close together, so it looks strange to have identical curve in the stalk that close together.

Thanks for the input! =]
Hmm, I'll have to check the green/blue stalk in-game. It does look odd in that screenshot... However, the blue one is far away in the background and much bigger... I'll see what I can do :P

:EDIT:
Ah, well the problem is worse than you thought:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

But you can't really notice the yellow one being the same in game... the blue one is a bit more hassle, not sure what to replace it with =/

Can you just mirror it instead?  I'd try to mirror that object and rotate it a bit, it'd solve your problem :P

January 31, 2014, 11:19:10 PM #389 Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:23:47 PM by Syvkal
Can you mirror objects in brawlbox? If so, good plan, if not... I'm useless at using modelling programs xD