Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 2 [3]
Author Topic: The PMBR and how they handle those who mod/hack Project M  (Read 18452 times)
_Data_Drain_
Master of the Dark Matter
Heroic Kitten

• Awards 2012 SSBB Tournament Runner-Up Fiery Topic Good Citizen Ceiling Cat

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 12:34:07 AM »

I hate to break it to you all.

But they will most likely not ever change the clones to more in character versions of themselves.

In this game's case. It's Melee pros before anyone else... As far as the veterans go.

If we're wanting to see these types of changes... This might have to be a third party mod of... A... Third party... Mod... *Ahem* Anyway. Bottom line. They aren't going to listen to this type of feedback. (Even if it is true, I mean who wouldn't want to see Ganondorf as he is in the games?) But still. It would I guess be tough for a Melee player to get used to the clones being 100% gone...

Although, at the same time. Players like me who played vBrawl a lot would have a hard time getting used to say... Lucas, who plays SO much differently now. (IE, no Zap Jumping.) And having a DACUS... Anyway. That's my 2 cents in this topic... Money well spent.
    ಠ_ಠ

3DS FC: 1762-2823-8581

Wii-U ID: Data-Drain Mii Name: Jiro

SMM Stages: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Data-Drain

HaloedHero
    Extreme Kitten

Come and get me, haters.

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Pin Collector >9000 Former PMDT

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 08:31:51 AM »

I don't know why people expect us to do something radical to Falco. It's not about whether there are more/less people who want Falco to go back to being a straight up clone of Fox. The game we set out to make includes making characters who were popular/good in Melee play the way they played in Melee. That was one of our primary goals, and we've been clear about it from the start. It shouldn't come as a disappointment to anyone. If it's a big problem for you, pm is probably just not the brawl mod for you.

This sometimes includes animations simply for utilitarian purposes(such as restoration of range on an attack, etc). I completely understand and even agree with the urge to de-clone Falco, but I don't get why everyone keeps saying the PMBR should be the ones to do it. If you want to see that kind of Falco, crack open PSA and Brawlbox and make it happen.

Brawl characters get more radical changes not because we don't care what Brawl players think, but because they can't stay the same as they are in Brawl without throwing off the game we want to make. So, we take that as an opportunity to do new, interesting things. Indeed, you would have to agree that every character was changed radically from how they are in Brawl, just not from how they are in Melee, because we're trying to make the game more like Melee, not Brawl, which, again, was our mission from the start and shouldn't surprise anyone.

As an aside, Falco really doesn't play that similarly to Fox in Melee. His shine brings his combos airborne, and his crazy jump height makes him good with vertical follow ups. I see him as good in the air. Plus, for me, Falco and Fox's similarities make sense as part of the same team. I understand that you don't feel that way, but that's entirely subjective, and I actually think it works well.
    « Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 08:36:41 AM by HaloedHero » Logged

There is no power quite like the power of understanding.

LC-DDM
    Not your average sprite!
    Special Access

Voted "Best Guest for Campfires".

• Awards Heart Container Good Citizen KCMM Veteran 128-bit Pro Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 09:03:26 AM »

Not really a big deal. I just find it funny how people complained about clones in Melee, then complained about the lack of past characters as clones in Brawl, so to fix it they make them clones again and that somehow makes it okay. Just feels like a zigzag that makes zero sense.

I guess people want PMBR to make it because maybe then it'd be made official, or something.
    « Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:04:27 AM by LC-DDM » Logged

Grammar is necessary. Butchering your language isn't. If you don't have time to correct yourself, I don't have time to read your post.
    Your compilation pack is as useless as your quest for approval, and I pity both.

Climaxing to a jump scare would be pretty great.

spiritpyros
    Extreme Kitten

justice will prevail

• Awards Star Hacker >9000 Favorite'd Ninja

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #33 on: February 20, 2013, 03:25:21 PM »

Snake 2.5 works for me while sonic works but just the down b is not funtional

DocStrange
    Supreme Kitten

Super Fighting Robot

• Awards Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #34 on: February 20, 2013, 10:58:24 PM »

I completely understand the intent of returning popular Melee characters to their Melee gameplay, but I am still mystified as to why time was spent reverting unique animations to the previous clone versions when, in my mind at least, it is unnecessary from a gameplay standpoint. Things like Ganon's dair and Falco's jabs seem like they could easily maintain both their Melee properties and the more aesthetically appropriate Brawl animations.

But, on topic, while I do feel it's hypocritical for a project modifying another team's work to take steps preventing their work from being modified, it seems as though much of this is simply due to the way PM has to be coded to work, and that's fine.

I think the bottom line is I don't believe the PM team has a right to expect their work to not be modded, but I also don't believe it has any obligation to allow others to mod it. Or to worry about what others want it to be for that matter.

ESPeR
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 12:10:11 AM »

This has probably already been said, but I don't think it's in a fighting games best interest to change a characters popular play style. Also, Falco has an incredible air game. He does up kills and down kills fantastically and does a lot of jumping in his game play. It's like, he has wings, so he can jump and shoot with more efficiency than Fox or Wolf, and guess what, that's what he does. And again, everyones play style has been tweaked. Ganondorf has quite a bit of new life breathed into him, as does ("Dr.") Mario. I don't really play any of the other Melee greats besides Marth and Falcon, who have at least minor amounts of added flare in Project M *run of ledge, taunt cancel* Show me your moves! --> *dropzone knee* YES!
    « Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:12:47 AM by ESPeR » Logged

SiLeNtDo0m
    Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
    Overlord Kitten

WHAT IN TARNATION?!

• Awards Former PMDT Featured Heart Container >9000

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 04:34:26 AM »

I completely understand the intent of returning popular Melee characters to their Melee gameplay, but I am still mystified as to why time was spent reverting unique animations to the previous clone versions when, in my mind at least, it is unnecessary from a gameplay standpoint. Things like Ganon's dair and Falco's jabs seem like they could easily maintain both their Melee properties and the more aesthetically appropriate Brawl animations.

This statement here I feel is incorrect.  Even small animation adjustments can make a large difference to a move feels as a whole and what you can do with the move.  This was already explained before.  For example, a while ago we tried experimenting with giving Falco some more unique moves but with Melee hitboxes (for example transferring moves to his wings instead of his feet whilst trying to keep similar principles) but it just didn't feel right.  Certain moves couldn't do things they could do before, and hurtbox placements were all different for example.

Also, I don't know what you're talking about with Falco's jab.  Falco's jab IS his Brawl jab and always has been.  It's the one Brawl move we kept for him.   

StarWaffle
    Pretty much Wafflu
    srs kitten

Pretty much amazing

• Awards Star Hacker Featured Good Citizen Renowned Hacker

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 05:40:49 AM »

Whoever read all that deserves an award.

Zoom32
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #38 on: July 16, 2013, 12:58:47 AM »

I hope this post has been helpful, I eagerly await your feedback.

Hello, OP. I am the real Zoom32. I apologize for the confusion; I wasn't angry at all with your tropes page edit; I just got the impression from the edit that you were unaware that the certain segment of the mod is meant to be closed off, so I made a note for exactly why it's hard to open up the file. I didn't mean to come across as a "f you for trying to break in" guy. I'm sorry if that's what it looked like, though. I was being strictly informational; in fact, I was actually just trying to condense the example information to be more concise, article-esque, and less of a "personal experience" with the game.

You probably already know this, but I am not in the PMBR (though I follow it closely enough to get update information quickly). I'm just a fan.
    « Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 01:01:48 AM by Zoom32 » Logged

Pages:  1 2 [3]
    Print
    Jump to: