Villager Joins the Brawl! -Released!-

Started by SonicBrawler, June 12, 2013, 12:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Quote from: Snoopy on June 14, 2014, 02:52:23 AM
well, i sort of know the issue, but i'm confused as to why.  the FitPit.pac doesn't work, AND the costumes with the Shine applied don't work.  i have absolutely no idea why the costumes would affect anything, but they do.  i was planning on at least fixing up the FitPit.pac and just including the older costumes for now, but if you can figure out why they hate me, i'd be super happy about that.  i've been trying a few things here and there, but i still end up freezing it.

actually... i'm going to check one thing real fast.  if not, then go right ahead and see if you can get him working.


Edit:

yep.  i got the FitPit.pac right the second time, but because i didn't know the costumes were derping it up, i thought it was still the FitPit.pac.  so, it looks like for now, the BrawlEx version will have to have the non shiny Materials in exchange for it actually loading.  a fair trade, i'd say.  let me update the download.

The Ex version doesn't work with shiny models? Or none of the versions work with shiny models? EX V 3 works with Shiny models. That's what I've got.
Want to talk about my pack? Let's take it over here to the Brawl 4 All thread: http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=71453.msg1306822#msg1306822

Quote from: Nebulon on June 14, 2014, 03:05:38 AM
The Ex version doesn't work with shiny models? Or none of the versions work with shiny models? EX V 3 works with Shiny models. That's what I've got.


with the newer models that have the LowShine on them, they refuse to work with the BrawlEx version, even the Revision 3 BrawlEx version.  i just tried with the R3 models, the new FitPit.pac and new MotionEtc, and everything worked just fine.  maybe it's because i saved them all as .pair in BrawlBox, but that's about the only thing i can think of that i did differently.


https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmm0vxkbrqy0uhm/VillagerPSARevision4.zip

so for anyone using the BrawlEx version, re-download and use the Costumes that are in the BrawlEx folder, and everything should work.  i'll see about trying to get the Shine to work with it.  it's just so weird that the costume would break it...

Sorry for the critique, this psa is awesome for a wip! But the following attacks could use some buff.

-Bair
-Upsmash
-Uptilt
-ForwardSmash
-NeutralAttack
-DownSpecial

I found these attacks to come out very sluggish and awkward to handle. If I may recommend increasing the range and speed of these moves? And perhaps his Bair should be a slingshot like in smash 4?  :)


finally got the Kirby hat done.  turns out i was just messing with the wrong file for the arrow.





so would anyone be opposed to me swapping the Air Down B to something else?  i've tried a few things to make a better transition between the Air and Ground animations, but noting is really working too well.  my thought is either to a new move, to the Glide that i took out a while back, or to nothing.


Quote from: Koolaid on June 15, 2014, 09:21:46 AM
Sorry for the critique, this psa is awesome for a wip! But the following attacks could use some buff.

-Bair
-Upsmash
-Uptilt
-ForwardSmash
-NeutralAttack
-DownSpecial

I found these attacks to come out very sluggish and awkward to handle. If I may recommend increasing the range and speed of these moves? And perhaps his Bair should be a slingshot like in smash 4?  :)

hey, any critique to help the moveset is always welcome.  so is it more that all these moves just seem slow, or are there specifics for each?  the Back Air is a tad weird, but that's more because i can't figure out how to make the Villager stop turning during the second jump, and i tried a sweetspot for the first few frames.  the Up Tilt has been an issue from the start, but i may have an idea to finally fix it.  for the Up and Side Smash, i thought those were fine, so a bit more detail there would help.  the Neutral Attack is the AAA, right?  it probably could use some extra range.  the Down Special already KOs at about 90% as is, so more detail would also help here.

and i'm saying no to changing the Back Air at this point, mainly because i think he's as Smash 4 as i want him to be.  of course, this isn't to say that it's a bad idea, and that i may or may not do a Smash 4 Villager, even though i know i can't replicate Pocket or Timber and Balloon Trip is about as close as it's getting to Smash 4 like as i can do. 

well, the silence either means i haven't been doing much, or that what i've done is satisfactory so no one is telling me how bad stuff is.

but hey, who wants a FINAL* release?  i know i certainly do!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jrs16l4w8s6tsuy/VillagerPSAFinal.zip

i say final* because i'd like to get at least some feedback before i call it 98.765% done and Vault worthy.  i'm just sick of not having this done, so i'm foregoing the Project M version, the sounds, and the .rel port for now.  if any of these happen to get done at a later point, i'll certainly update the download and bring it up in here, but i just want to call it done as soon as i can.  so yeah, after well more than a year, this is FINALLY coming to a close.  i'm glad this is the only PSA i've wanted to do....

Quotes:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Ooh! Sweet! Definitely giving it a shot~
Congrats, too!
I still talk to myself! If anyone wants to use anything I've done, feel free to! But do tell me where you use it, I want to see the finished product!

Dude, its so awesome! I just rel ported it actually to DK because I like Goku and I hardly even get any GFX glitches. (Just neutral B but I'm looking on how to fix that now.)

Awesome work!

July 09, 2014, 10:06:30 PM #428 Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:15:19 PM by Snoopy
thanks guys, it's good to know that someone besides me is excited to see this get a final release.


Quote from: Renova on July 09, 2014, 03:55:41 AM
Dude, its so awesome! I just rel ported it actually to DK because I like Goku and I hardly even get any GFX glitches. (Just neutral B but I'm looking on how to fix that now.)

Awesome work!

if you do get this working, i'd be happy to put it into the download.  i asked quite some time back to see if anyone could do this, but it never ended up happening.  i would personally like to see an .rel port to Wario, but any would do nicely because i know a ton of PSAs are all on Pit.



it also occurred to me that i forgot to mention some of the changes.  first is that i finished up a few of the animations i've been putting off for way too long, the Smash Hold ones specifically.  now he actually shakes while it's held.

second is that i tried making the Side B chargeable, but the only bit of that left is that it stays flat instead of arcing like it did.  anytime i tried adding anything into the Side B action that wasn't a Nop, it froze the game.

third is the Down B Aerial has been removed entirely.  i tried a few different things, like making a transition between the Air and Ground, or triggering the Glide, but neither really worked.  so i just removed it.  i couldn't really think of another attack to put in its place, so i left it empty.

and last is that most of Pit's voice clips are removed.  there's some that are left, and most were left kind of on purpose.  i think it'd be kind of dull to not have at least a few sounds, so i left the grunts in there.  that, and i wasn't sure where a few were, like the death cries.  i thought i removed them, but then i played a little and heard they were still there.

so yeah, i think that's all the main changes.

The moveset is excellent, you guys did a really good job on it.
The animation is correct and the special is pretty cool.

The only thing that really bad is the Final Smash. It's really easy to not take damage from it and it's pretty glitchy.

Moveset is really cool but I don't really understand the final smash. I guess he's saving and quitting and it damages anyone? The screen just all goes black, so it's kind of hard to tell what's supposed to be happening, or what the range on it actually is.

Quote from: secretchaos1 on July 10, 2014, 12:50:16 AM
Moveset is really cool but I don't really understand the final smash. I guess he's saving and quitting and it damages anyone? The screen just all goes black, so it's kind of hard to tell what's supposed to be happening, or what the range on it actually is.

it's a remnant of my original idea, but the idea is that he saves and hits everyone while doing so.  the original plan was to have Resetti pop up after, but that bit fell through.  the range is ... well, everything.  it's supposed to be a screen nuke attack, but it might not be on larger stages.  if you haven't played an Animal Crossing game, it's basically the save screen, where the dialog box comes up, then fades to black while it saves.


Quote from: KTH on July 09, 2014, 10:11:09 PM
The moveset is excellent, you guys did a really good job on it.
The animation is correct and the special is pretty cool.

The only thing that really bad is the Final Smash. It's really easy to not take damage from it and it's pretty glitchy.


yeah, the FS could probably use some more work.  i basically got it to a working state and never really went back to it.  i never did get the screen tinting to work like MetaKnight's or Togepi's, which i then just gave up on the rest of it.  and i didn't realize how easy it was to avoid it until today facing a Villager.  all i had to do was shield the entire time and boom, no damage.  i should probably add in some shield damage, or something. 

July 10, 2014, 02:25:10 AM #432 Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 05:35:40 AM by secretchaos1
Resetti popping up would've been cool. I figured that's what was going on with it though. The lack of sfx is probably the major cripple for it, cause you can't really tell when the dialogue box is pressed. Like if it played that jingle it does before fading into the save screen, might be good to keep in mind if/when you work on a sfx pack for him.
But yeah, other than that I really love this moveset. I really like how all the tools play a part in some way, and I really like how you got the net working on his grabs.

Edit: Just playing around and I noticed the BrawlEx version still calls for the sparkle trail on Pit's arrows when firing the slingshot. You can see it if you do a fight and Pit's effects have been loaded as well. Not a big deal, just thought I'd bring it to your attention.

Edit 2: Found a bit of a larger issue, at least with the BrawlEx version. The game seems to crash randomly when going too quickly from the character select screen to the stage select screen. I seem to get it to trigger when switching between the male and female costumes between matches, and I double checked loading with other characters just to make sure it was only swapping through villager alts that caused the crash. Not really sure why it's happening, I don't think it's a file size issue judging by the total size of Villager's files compared to Pit's but I don't really know. Bumped into it while I was taking and testing my csps.
This issue doesn't happen with your previous BrawlEx revision, just tested it out and I can't replicate the crash so I'm assuming it's related to some change between that and the final, but what could cause that I have no idea. Anyway, just thought I'd let you guys know so you can look into it before your final final release.

Here's some feedback from what I've played:

- Up Smash seems super week. Dunno if I'm just not able to hit it's sweetspot or something, but it only does like 8% for me. Considering that and it's rather small hitbox, this is a pretty useless move.
- Down Smash's hitboxes are too big in my opinion. It's way too easy for the second hit to connect too if the first one does, which leads to stupid damage.
- I don't think his jab properly links together, based on Training Mode's "Help" function.
- I think his up air has too much lag, as in, when using the move and touching the ground while it's active.
- Considering Neutral Bs range and speed, I don't think it should do 5% uncharged, or at least not if it travels across the stage. Seems like a little too much.
- When using Side B on the ground, he doesn't go off the stage. Pobably intented, but I feel like it'd be better if he did.
- When cancelling out of Up B with air normals, he gets to use Specials again. I think this should be changed so he'd either get into his "free fall" animation like he would when not cancelling the Up B, or he simply doesn't get to use Special moves when cancelling the Up B.
- Side B in the air should put him in free fall. Getting to use Up B after already using Side B seems like way too good of a recovery.
- His Backwards Second Jump in the air turns him around. Again, probably intented, but I just thought I'd point it out. Pretty cool though.
- His Runnind, Dashing and Walking on the ground don't really fit his animations to be honest.
Like, his Running makes him move so fast while his animation doesn't really feel like he should be running that fast. Same goes for his walking. Pretty hard for me to describe what I mean, but it just felt a littlw weird.
- I'm so in love with his forward throw. Love the animation for that, great job.

And even with all that, this is easily one of the better PSAs out there. Definitly enjoyed playing with him for a bit.

Also, keep in mind that while I was testing him I was using the Balanced Brawl codeset, so I have no idea if that miiiight have screwed with some things in his moveset. Shouldn't have though, considering Balanced Brawl only changes a few minor things in Brawls mechanics.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

woo quote-a-thon time

Quote from: secretchaos1 on July 10, 2014, 02:25:10 AM
... The lack of sfx is probably the major cripple for it ...

i basically think this for the whole PSA.  i have a bunch of sound files ready to use, i just have no idea how to make them work.

Quote from: secretchaos1 on July 10, 2014, 02:25:10 AM
Edit: Just playing around and I noticed the BrawlEx version still calls for the sparkle trail on Pit's arrows when firing the slingshot. You can see it if you do a fight and Pit's effects have been loaded as well. Not a big deal, just thought I'd bring it to your attention.

yeah, that's because i never really bothered removing it from the Pit version, and the BrawlEx version (i think) can't use it, so it's not there.  i really should do something to make them match up better.

Quote from: secretchaos1 on July 10, 2014, 02:25:10 AM
... The game seems to crash randomly when going too quickly from the character select screen to the stage select screen. I seem to get it to trigger when switching between the male and female costumes between matches, and I double checked loading with other characters just to make sure it was only swapping through villager alts that caused the crash. ...

bah, i thought i got rid of that months ago...  i may have broken something else in the BX version.  are you using the costumes from the BX folder from the download?  the original issue was with the costume files being stupid.  but if it works with the previous version.... bah.  more testing...


Quote from: Abbi on July 10, 2014, 10:01:01 AM
Here's some feedback from what I've played:
...

well, after making these changes, i really think it fixed a bunch of little issues i felt were a bit off, but wasn't sure what to change.  for a lot of this stuff, i was apparently trying to be too fancy, and it failed pretty badly.  kept it in the same order as your list.

- the Up Smash hitboxes have been unified because it prioritized the weaker hitboxes, so it'll be stronger now.
- the Down Smash had the furthest hitbox removed, so less range on it.  kind of odd, since this is one i basically kept from Pit.
- i have no idea about linking the jabs together...
- landing lag has been adjusted, rather than being a 30 across the board for them, with the Up Air being shorter as well.
- i tried changing the Arrow's hitbox, but it won't change.  at least not in BrawlBox, i may try using Tabuu for that.
- the Side B not going off edges was intended, mainly because i got sick of falling off.  i'm keeping this in because of another change i just made.
- with the Up B, the best i could find was to remove attacking from registering.  probably not the best, but it's what i could make work.
- Side B does go into freefall now, which is why i'm keeping stopping at ledges.  otherwise, you could slide off, then freefall to death.
- i really wish i knew how to remove the back Jump turning like that.  it's because of Pit's multijumping, and i've found no good way to work around it.
- walking and running are now slowed a bit.  guess i didn't realize he didn't need to run like Sonic to be good.


so once i get these changes transferred to the BX version, and figure out why the old freezing issue is back, i'll update the download.