The Smash 3 Project - Get Your DLC Early

Started by Taiko, October 01, 2013, 03:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

April 21, 2014, 11:43:44 PM #480 Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:45:22 PM by LeNNoN
Quote from: Taiko on April 15, 2014, 02:46:02 AM
A few questions for people experiencing freezes with the HUD:
- What kinds of mods are you running? Model imports, or simply textures?
- NTSC or PAL?
- Have you modified the HUD files in any way?
- Project M, Brawl, or some other Brawl code-set?
- Are you running BrawlEx?

Thanks for any answers, it'll help us narrow down what could be causing the issues.

simply textures
NTSC
no i dont modify the hud hacks
i use a keitaro's code list but i modify a rotate stage codes
i dont running the brawlEX



 i finally download one of the models you made at first i was not impressed but when i played it in game i was like wow this is amazing keep it up

April 25, 2014, 03:51:30 PM #482 Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:53:39 PM by Taiko
Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of updates lately, but I've got an announcement to make!
No, we're not quitting.

Up to this point we've been working on making textures with the goal of making them more "Nintendo-esque," meaning reducing their designs to a more simple approach. From this point onward though, we'll be changing our project goal from "Nintendoise" to "Modernise" and focus on bringing the Smash 4 visual style to Brawl. I'll explain in detail why we've made this choice in a bit, but what does this mean for you guys? More consistent textures, as we'll actually have an established visual style to work off of. Maybe even faster releases because we'll have reference material as well.

As we've made progress, we've received feedback on a few characters that they just didn't look right (namely Ganondorf and Roy) while other characters were well recieved even though they were developed the same way. We've thought about this for a bit,and realized that though the "Nintendoise" approach works well for more simple characters, it doesn't translate well to more complex characters like Ganondorf. To illustrate this, I'll be using charcters from both extremes: Toon Link and Ganondorf.

Here's Toon Link as we have him currently. His design has a clear inspiration from his Wind Waker appearance.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Then, we have Ganondorf. We tried to imagine him as he would look between Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, a bit like how people described Skyward Sword initially.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Though they look consistent, there's just something that doesn't feel right with Ganondorf because his design called for more realistic textures.

To test this theory, we tried giving Ganondorf more realistic textures:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

He looks much more fitting with darker and more detailed textures. The difference is most noticable in the hair.
But then put him beside Toon Link, and the difference in their styles is huge. They just don't look consistent, and don't look like they're part of the same game at all.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

We then realized that Smash 4 is visually doing what would make sense for us to do next, so we chose to create a Smash 4-esque texture for Toon Link:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Much better! Ganondorf gets to keep his more detailed textures, and Toon Link still fits in. Keep in mind that these textures are both still WIPs, and are subject to change.

As you could probably tell, we were already drawing inspiration from Smash 4, but now to keep consistent we'll take as much as we can from Smash 4. We don't aim to replicate Smash 4 1:1, as some things can't be done as they are in Smash 4. That said, this is still a visual overhaul of Brawl rather than a complete mod.
We won't be adding Smash 4 characters.
We won't be reworking the gameplay to match Smash 4.
We won't be adding Young Link.
We will still be called Smash 3 though. We've come up with a new logo to go with our new project goal as well!

We hope to roll out these updates as soon as we can, and thank you all for your continued support!

We've also added a FAQ to the OP, you'll be happy if you read it.

April 25, 2014, 04:11:41 PM #483 Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:13:42 PM by Mansta8
This is actually a really good idea.

That's a great idea and you explained it quite well, personally, I don't have any problems with all released textures so far, in fact, I really like them (Being Marth's, Mario's, Luigi's, Toon Link's, Sheik's, Link's and Zelda's my favorites) since I find them more lively and colorful than Brawl's original textures, but this new style looks even better IMO :)

Characters Like Ike, Marth, Sheik, Link, Metaknight and so, surely will look really badass with this new perspective (Ganondorf being a good example). I'll look forward to see what you have to share with us in the future, I'm a big fan of this project and everyone involved, good luck and good work!

If you guys redo Roy's textures, can you PLEASE bring back his yellow color even if it's an extra or something? Nothing against the recolors included in the pack, I just love Roy's yellow color more than anything, and was kinda upset that it wasn't included.

That being said, good luck. I really liked how this was turning out previously, and this new style looks even better.

So I downloaded the Smash3 texture and jesus christ the PAC file size is 2000+ kb. It kept causing my PSA to crash.

Have you guys considered the PSA side of this or will this project just revolve around cosmetics?

If it disregards PSA's, then it's fine. But I think that should be added in the description. The PSA I made has only a couple of extra kb added to it, and the texture would keep causing it to silent freeze.


Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

April 26, 2014, 12:34:41 AM #487 Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 01:00:56 AM by Shun_One
Quote from: Tidus on April 26, 2014, 12:19:26 AM
So I downloaded the Smash3 texture and jesus christ the PAC file size is 2000+ kb. It kept causing my PSA to crash.

Have you guys considered the PSA side of this or will this project just revolve around cosmetics?

If it disregards PSA's, then it's fine. But I think that should be added in the description. The PSA I made has only a couple of extra kb added to it, and the texture would keep causing it to silent freeze.
Which character specifically are you talking about? That sounds like Meta Knight. If it is Meta Knight, his revamp should have a much smaller file-size. If it's Link, I'm not sure what his new file-size will be post update, but we'll try to cut it down some.

EDIT2: The new file-sizes will be much smaller for both Link and Meta Knight.

This project is purely cosmetic, so we haven't really thought about PSA's at all. If your PSA hits the file-size limit when combined with our stuff, try reducing the size of the characters textures by half for some additional space. The file-size for most of them is hiked up due to rim lighting and other material/model edits.

EDIT: It's also possible there's something else causing an issue. All of these work with Project M move-sets (though I'm not sure what sort of file-size comparison we're dealing with), but if yours isn't too much larger than an original Brawl move-set, something else may be the problem.
I'm no longer around. If you really need to get my attention, send a PM

Just gonna leave this here
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


Quote from: Shun_One on April 26, 2014, 12:34:41 AM
Which character specifically are you talking about? That sounds like Meta Knight. If it is Meta Knight, his revamp should have a much smaller file-size. If it's Link, I'm not sure what his new file-size will be post update, but we'll try to cut it down some.

This project is purely cosmetic, so we haven't really thought about PSA's at all. If your PSA hits the file-size limit when combined with our stuff, try reducing the size of the characters textures by half for some additional space. The file-size for most of them is hiked up due to rim lighting and other material/model edits.

EDIT: It's also possible there's something else causing an issue. All of these work with Project M move-sets (though I'm not sure what sort of file-size comparison we're dealing with), but if yours isn't too much larger than an original Brawl move-set, something else may be the problem.

It's Link, and if it's purely cosmetic then don't worry about the PSA thing. I just want to know if some movesets might not work with it.

I know for a fact that there is no coding issue or filesize problems with the moveset files. As soon as I removed the Smash3 stuff, it no longer froze on the SSS.

I'm absolutely loving the stuff you guys are putting out, and I'll do my best to make sure that all my movesets are Smash3 compatible as I'm guilty of making new animations for moves that I'm replacing (and also having a lot of unnecessary keyframes :notimp:)


Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Quote from: Tidus on April 26, 2014, 01:00:12 AM
It's Link, and if it's purely cosmetic then don't worry about the PSA thing. I just want to know if some movesets might not work with it.

I know for a fact that there is no coding issue or filesize problems with the moveset files. As soon as I removed the Smash3 stuff, it no longer froze on the SSS.

I'm absolutely loving the stuff you guys are putting out, and I'll do my best to make sure that all my movesets are Smash3 compatible as I'm guilty of making new animations for moves that I'm replacing (and also having a lot of unnecessary keyframes :notimp:)
Thanks. I edited my post with an updated answer, but I'll post it again and a quick fix for you till we release Link's update (which may or may not take a while depending on things)

Link's new file-size is literally cut in half from the previous one. For a quick patch, re-encode his textures to CMPR.
I'm no longer around. If you really need to get my attention, send a PM

-if I may, since Brawl currently doesn't support Normal maps. Perhaps try using very dark textures + specular maps to achieve a similar effect as seen in Smash 4?

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

Quote from: Velen on April 26, 2014, 01:15:51 AM
-if I may, since Brawl currently doesn't support Normal maps. Perhaps try using very dark textures + specular maps to achieve a similar effect as seen in Smash 4?
Good idea. I'm a bit worried about filesize since we'll need to have spec map versions of all the textures, but we'l experiment with it and see if we can find something that works.

Wario? Wario!
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Quote from: Taiko on April 26, 2014, 01:29:40 AM
Good idea. I'm a bit worried about filesize since we'll need to have spec map versions of all the textures, but we'l experiment with it and see if we can find something that works.

Not necessarily. You can make simple speculars for things like swords and stuff. The characters are all that will actually them for their textures.

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302