A tad tired of over-saturated texture "improvements"

Started by Pik, January 19, 2014, 09:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

well guys, in my humble opinion: There is no better way to show that you don't care about someone's opinion than not even telling them that you don't care.

You can always say you don't care, but deep down inside you do care.

So you keep going at it, this topic lost track and turned into general discussion. The thing is WE ALL CARE, otherwise, why publish them on brawlvault? we share them, meaning we had other people in mind, otherwise we would just use them ourselves and never upload them.  I care about the quality of my hacks because I am sharing them, meaning I think other people would also like the quality and use them. So by using the vault, we are all indirectly showing that we care, at least, a little.


Quote from: Iwvi on February 27, 2014, 05:05:39 AM
The thing is WE ALL CARE, otherwise, why publish them on brawlvault? we share them, meaning we had other people in mind, otherwise we would just use them ourselves and never upload them.
With all the pictures I restored, more than 300 I believe, makes me think that you might be wrong. Do you believe that all of the pictures I restored... only five were great? But all of them were unique!

People do things for fun, and fun doesn't care about whenever they did  something great of not, it was just a hobby... and people tend to share that fun stuff here because they are free to. Not because they want critics, no?

So if you all set the bars of this little limbo game to low, people can just jump over it.

But this isn't the case for over saturation, they are not unique, and they are not great... but the person had fun doing them. And he still does them. So either we continue making a big deal out of it, or we just show how hacks are supposed to be done.

I know what I chose.


I'm not talking about quality overall, I am talking about caring about other people. If you had all that fun while making them, you want to share the hack so people can have fun as well. So you want them to have fun, meaning you kind of care about it. I do not like low quality hacks personally, but have nothing against their creators, some of them enjoy it and will either get better or stop eventually. I like to think we were all noobs at some point. So I try to help them. I just admit that the vault exists because we care about others.

On the topic of over saturation, I found a hack that actually did benefit from it. I never noticed how dull the new shadow imports were, until someone made it blacker and redder and put it next to the original one. It indeed looked better, in my opinion that is.

Quote from: Iwvi on February 27, 2014, 09:10:08 PM
I'm not talking about quality overall, I am talking about caring about other people. If you had all that fun while making them, you want to share the hack so people can have fun as well. So you want them to have fun, meaning you kind of care about it. I do not like low quality hacks personally, but have nothing against their creators, some of them enjoy it and will either get better or stop eventually. I like to think we were all noobs at some point. So I try to help them. I just admit that the vault exists because we care about others.

Makes sense.

Quote from: Iwvi on February 27, 2014, 05:05:39 AM
So you keep going at it, this topic lost track and turned into general discussion. The thing is WE ALL CARE, otherwise, why publish them on brawlvault? we share them, meaning we had other people in mind, otherwise we would just use them ourselves and never upload them.  I care about the quality of my hacks because I am sharing them, meaning I think other people would also like the quality and use them. So by using the vault, we are all indirectly showing that we care, at least, a little.

Yup. I just realized that. It was my mistake for uploading some of my hacks, thinking that a lot of people would use them. However, I was wrong, as many people pressured me to change. I'm still gonna post a few hacks every now and then, but only hacks which I think, from the knowledge I've gained here and in other internet gaming communities, that a lot of players would like to see, and not the personal ones, which people think are "Uncanny Valley" material, which I'm pretty much the only one on the internet who would like to see them.

Examples of stuff I wouldn't post (but are available via request and PM):

Davey J Yoshi
SuperBirds
Those countless Falco curvy, smooth, leg, foot hacks
Shaved Legs DK

Examples of stuff I would post:
Bowser 2k14
Donkey Kong SSB64 PSA and Animations (I'm working on currently, includes spinning splits Down Smash and double stomp aerial down)
Texture-only edits that are not modifications of the characters' leg/foot models
Curvy Krystal with Armor removed (cause everyone likes Krystal)
And just hacks that I don't take too personally and would laugh if they were on FNBV.

huh, I do a cleanly done multi texture layer hack and it gets only 1 download. bah!
Coffee fueled gearhead.

I have tons of unreleased hacks as well. Some because I was just too lazy to complete, but still use in my brawl.

Quote from: Iwvi on February 28, 2014, 04:03:56 PM
I have tons of unreleased hacks as well. Some because I was just too lazy to complete, but still use in my brawl.
Why not make a section for them on your thread or something? You can always upload them and have them not be on the vault.

loooong ago, I was told that my hacks didnt look actually good with nulled shaders so then after some time I actually took that advice to improve in my  own work
I mean, we understand the fact of using the rim for making a model look good on those times when the model's UV mapping is pretty barely made by the model's author
But there is no excuse if there is a "new version" of a hack with a worse texture! that is the point of this thread, I guess, how the vault is being spammed by those de-evolutions
Quote from: Daveybird on February 28, 2014, 04:13:09 AM
as many people pressured me to change.
dude youre taking the FNBV too seriously! ive seen some of my hacks there before too, and I actually see that as free advertising B)

Way I see it there are two correct ways to deal with it. 1- find a bad hack and ignore it or 2- find a bad hack, and offer to help the uploader make it better.

Coffee fueled gearhead.

3 - The more experienced modders can just produce more quality stuff to offset the low quality content.

Some might take #2 as an insult.

Quote from: Eternal Yoshi on March 05, 2014, 02:28:51 AM
3 - The more experienced modders can just produce more quality stuff to offset the low quality content.

Some might take #2 as an insult.
If some people would even bother with #2 then if it was taken as an insult then they're probably doing something wrong. Just saiyan.