Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CSP Looks Screwy  (Read 1694 times)
HeatMan
Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
« on: March 31, 2010, 11:45:39 AM »

Just need a little help I guess, I'm trying to replace my character portraits so I can, you know, see what I'm selecting rather than blindly pick a character, so I'm trying to do this for every character that I have a texture for. I can get CSPs to work fine - I did for my last 54, but the last two I did, it shows up in the game on the character select as looking pretty distored. I can't be doing anything wrong - nothing different from what I've been doing, I mean my last 54 were perfect but these last two are screwed... Is there like a limit to how many you can do or something before your pictures start messing up? I don't know, I figure someone out here must know what's going on.

mnsg
Holy Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Star Hacker >9000 Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 02:52:04 PM »

Just need a little help I guess, I'm trying to replace my character portraits so I can, you know, see what I'm selecting rather than blindly pick a character, so I'm trying to do this for every character that I have a texture for. I can get CSPs to work fine - I did for my last 54, but the last two I did, it shows up in the game on the character select as looking pretty distored. I can't be doing anything wrong - nothing different from what I've been doing, I mean my last 54 were perfect but these last two are screwed... Is there like a limit to how many you can do or something before your pictures start messing up? I don't know, I figure someone out here must know what's going on.

You must've done something wrong, since there's no limit to how many portraits you can replace.  Recheck your portraits to make sure that their palettes aren't messed up.

HeatMan
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:02:15 PM »

Definitely good to know there's no limit, but I tried again and still a flop. Must be something small I missed then, though I gave it another shot from scratch and it was still messed up. Just so I'm clear, what do you mean by check that their palettes aren't messed up?

mnsg
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 07:15:56 PM »

Definitely good to know there's no limit, but I tried again and still a flop. Must be something small I missed then, though I gave it another shot from scratch and it was still messed up. Just so I'm clear, what do you mean by check that their palettes aren't messed up?

All portraits are in CI8 format, meaning that they use palettes.  Basically, palettes contain color data for the indexed textures that are using them.  Give an indexed texture the wrong palette and it'll look messed up.

Fortunately, when replacing indexed textures, the palette is modified along the way.

HeatMan
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 08:01:42 PM »

Are you meaning the color table? If so, I save the color table of the indexed image I'm taking, save it, then paste to the 128 x 160 image, I index that and load the color table I saved of the picture I'm loading so the colors should be the same, following one of them there Youtube videos. And just so I'm clear about what I mean by distorted (batteries died on my camera and don't have more so I can't take a pic to show XD) I tried to PS an image to give an idea, but it looks much worse in the game, far more stretched out and squiggled than this. >_<

If that's what you were thinking though when I said distorted and I did somehow give it a wrong pallet, would it really mess up a pic like that? O__O

mnsg
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 08:43:41 PM »

Palettes only affect indexed texture colors.  The image that you're showing me doesn't involve palettes by any means.

Anyway, you can always try using The GIMP to make your portraits.  I've used it to make several portraits, and they all worked in-game.

HeatMan
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 09:09:34 PM »

Thanks, I'll give Gimp a try then, hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to get it to work like PS and hope that has better results.

Edit: I don't suppose there's a decent tutorial around that you could point me to for making CSPs in Gimp? I'm so totally lost using it and wish I could use it in Photoshop. XD Found one after some digging, too tired last night to see it though. And an update still again, I did one in Gimp and it worked, though I'm still wanting to know what could have happened with PS.

So based on the image, you don't have any thoughts or ideas as to what might cause it to look like that on the game? Because it definitely doesn't look like that in PS when I save, and as I said, haven't done anything differently from the other 54 portraits I successfully made. This whole thing seems bogus to me that it's acting up on me. ._.; I had created 3 portraits for Samus first - on costume 3, 4, and 6, ran the game and tested them out and it was fine. Then I make ones for costume 1 and 2, then bam! Whacky image display. >_<
    « Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 12:00:44 PM by HeatMan » Logged

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: