Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Getting Started  (Read 1828 times)
pikachu000000000
Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
« on: April 04, 2014, 06:04:08 AM »

Hello kitties!
Ever since I really got into Brawl, I've been seeing possible movesets for characters in all sorts of other media. This made me really want to get into creating my own characters, stages, music, trophies and events. My question here is:
Where do I get started with Brawl hacking/modding?

I personally own an unmodded PAL Wii and a PAL copy of SSBB, and I plan on keeping my Wii unmodded, and instead using Dolphin (with a PAL iso so that if I ever decide to mod my Wii I can be sure that the things I create will work). I also have Autodesk's 3DS Max 2012, but sadly I lack experience in it.
Can anyone direct me to some tutorials and/or tools that can help me get start off with Brawl hacking/modding?

Thanks in advance!

Lillith
Heroic Kitten

Resident Lunatic & Fox Fanatic

• Awards Ceiling Cat Star Hacker RAGE!! Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 06:10:35 AM »

Unfortunately, NTSC is better to mod, seeing as all notable hacks are NTSC exclusive.
    Although, best way to start would be to have a look at the Brawlbox program... Which I don't have with me at the moment.

But uh... Good luck to you!

I still talk to myself! If anyone wants to use anything I've done, feel free to! But do tell me where you use it, I want to see the finished product!

Erico9001
    Expert Kitten

Hmm... What do I say...

• Awards Fiery Topic Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 01:31:35 PM »

Welcome! The first thing I would recommend is looking through the resources page on this site and reading the descriptions of the various programs. Since you want to edit an iso, you should download wiiscrubber v1.4 with multiboot. Then, take a look at downloading some character or stage hacks from the website. Open your iso with wiiscrubber and try to find the names of the hack files in the program. Then, simply replace the appropriate files.

You may want to use this thread for reference: (you can skip all of the stuff talking about setting up the wii)
    http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=12169.0

Once you have a hang of that and want to start making your own hacks, I'd recommend checking out WackaAlpaca's youtube guides.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/WackaAlpaca

--------

However, as kistu said, many of the hacks are made to be compatible with ntsc versions. The stages you can change will be limited with a pal version and any moveset hacks will probably make it so that the character has no sounds, or, if the moveset requires a .rel file the character won't work at all. Model imports, which just change a character's appreance, should work though. Also, stages that don't require a .rel file will too.
    « Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 01:35:51 PM by Erico9001 » Logged

¸´…………Êrîçô>9000…………`¸
    '‹,¸¸,«^*^›„¸¸„‹^*^»,¸¸,‹'

pikachu000000000
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 04:53:58 AM »

Thanks for the help, Kitsu and Erico!
    That thread and WackaAlpaca's video's have certainly helped me a lot.
    But now I have some more questions.
    I've been looking around the forums and saw the BrawlEx Clone Engine, which basically allows you to add new characters instead of replacing existing characters. Now since it's only compatible with NTSC, I can't use this. So I was wondering:
    Are there any other methods for adding new characters?
    And can the same be done with stages and music?

Thanks again, in advance!

Carnage
    God Kitten

(retired)

• Awards Constructive Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Starstormer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 05:29:13 AM »

Thanks for the help, Kitsu and Erico!
    That thread and WackaAlpaca's video's have certainly helped me a lot.
    But now I have some more questions.
    I've been looking around the forums and saw the BrawlEx Clone Engine, which basically allows you to add new characters instead of replacing existing characters. Now since it's only compatible with NTSC, I can't use this. So I was wondering:
    Are there any other methods for adding new characters?
    And can the same be done with stages and music?

Thanks again, in advance!
    there arent any other methods for characters  and even if they were they would be ntsc exclusive, no one makes pal stuff anymore , and there is a stage expansion code but its ntsc only, your best bet is mod your wii and run a ntsc ssbb iso to use most of the stuff here, with pal the only thing you can do is replace models and movesetes, and the movesets will be silent since pal has diferent sound ids anything beyond that it wont work every module that is used to add characters or to port them is ntsc only

im a pal user but i gave up on pal one year ago becuase we didnt have anything so i downloaded an ntsc iso and that is what i use and i shelved my ssbb pal disc, modding the wii is preety easy and i mean really easy. you just need the ssbb disc and the smash stack for pal and your good to go.

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: