The Real Reason the Community is Dying.

Started by Velen, February 17, 2015, 11:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

I agree about the younger people being a large base. I've been in that situation myself. I got banned from my first community because I created a fake e-mail address to try steal information about a project the site administrator was doing.  :-X
The younger you are, the more impulsive and more reckless you are too. It's actually surprising that many young people sticking with brawl. The normal behavior would be forget about it and move to wii-u smash bros. But that's also a point that helps the community be the way it is now. Like you said, making textures was quite hard before, but now it's much easier. Means that they can do without trouble what people suffered to make before, and probably better. That, however, is not enough anymore, because hacking brawl evolved, and now you must work a lot harder as well to make a work acceptable by the community. So what happens is, though things that were hard are easier to do now, you had to know less things to make good hacks. Less tools, less possibilites and such. Nowadays, just a list of what you gotta know may be enough to scare a newbie.

Then, veterans have a lot more stuff to explain to newbies as well. And most give up or disappear or try depending exclusively on others. That's expected. But after some time, you also realize that it's useless explaining everything because those who had to learn won't put to use what you teach, and you eventually get tired of explaining the same things over and over. Also, the veterans had like 5 years to learn all they know. Newbies will get here feeling they have to learn this until next week. That easily crushes them.

With this, I agree also that there's no one blame. It's why I believe this is just a natural process that's happening. And with mentality, I didn't mean people are stupid or whatever. Just that we are what we are, and what's happening is just a proof of that.

Still, I liked checking this thread. It was good to see what people think about this place.

@Mortimer
The thing about not getting many downloads/replies when you're not very known and all that not only happens with mods but with pretty much everything. If Destiny was released by an unknown indie developer instead of Activision things would have been very different.

Yeah, I agree. One more thing that shows this is just a natural happening. After you "survive" that a little, you start getting some recognition. But if you'll survive, it's up to you.

Quote from: Mortimer on March 15, 2015, 09:13:26 PM
Yeah, I agree. One more thing that shows this is just a natural happening. After you "survive" that a little, you start getting some recognition. But if you'll survive, it's up to you.
Easier said then done that's for sure
Quote from: Mortimer on March 13, 2015, 02:40:20 AM
Then, veterans have a lot more stuff to explain to newbies as well. And most give up or disappear or try depending exclusively on others. That's expected. But after some time, you also realize that it's useless explaining everything because those who had to learn won't put to use what you teach, and you eventually get tired of explaining the same things over and over. Also, the veterans had like 5 years to learn all they know. Newbies will get here feeling they have to learn this until next week. That easily crushes them.

Still, I liked checking this thread. It was good to see what people think about this place.
That hits home for me with my tutorial thread. It also goes back to the fact people I've helped seem to want step by step through the whole process. That's fine and all but if they really want to learn asking for help as soon as they run into a single issue isn't good for learning. People here also see repeat questions that are constantly answered so don't bother responding. I enjoy helping them because it make me feel as if I have accomplished something but I'm not building them their mod. Those that are like that aren't going to improve fast enough for them so they stop. I've been here since the very beginning and I'm still learning due to all the new tools released and it's daunting at times but the results of the time are worth it. They just can't see that and it's killing us of the creativity of the vault.
Click Sig For My Tutorial Thread

I'm Just You're Friendly Forum Pseudo Narcissist
[spoiler]
Quote from: Ricky (Br3) on June 25, 2014, 06:40:22 PM
[white]This is Nyan. She He is indeed random and also definitely not a pervert.
I Will Accept Everyone's Faults As Long As They're Not Annoying.

Quote from: Koneko Nyan on March 18, 2015, 04:27:27 PM
Easier said then done that's for sure

Yeah. I also didn't mean I'm an example of success. Pretty far from that. I'm surviving so far but I guess that makes me something like a zombie, if you know what I mean.


Quote from: Koneko Nyan on March 18, 2015, 04:27:27 PM
That hits home for me with my tutorial thread. It also goes back to the fact people I've helped seem to want step by step through the whole process. That's fine and all but if they really want to learn asking for help as soon as they run into a single issue isn't good for learning. People here also see repeat questions that are constantly answered so don't bother responding. I enjoy helping them because it make me feel as if I have accomplished something but I'm not building them their mod. Those that are like that aren't going to improve fast enough for them so they stop. I've been here since the very beginning and I'm still learning due to all the new tools released and it's daunting at times but the results of the time are worth it. They just can't see that and it's killing us of the creativity of the vault.

Your tutorial thread is impressive  8) I don't see people who do those things often. I already thought about doing something like that (coding related in the case) but the fact people tend to ask before they even try or search made me change my mind. I really feel take will be a waste of time. But I know it isn't, because when people find what they want in tutorials, most of them will say nothing. They will just post when they want to complain about something or ask something that's not explained in the tutorial, and that creates a fake bad feeling about doing such a thing.  :P




Quote from: Onii-chan on February 18, 2015, 01:33:51 AM
this too. if your opinion is generally different compared to everyone else's or if you prove a point against someone, you generally get warned.
Pretty much explains why some of my desktop pics were deleted even though they're censored for the forums.

Yeah I agree, I don't like my need help threads being ignored ether.

The thing that really makes my angry is when people report hacks for something small or something they just made up, like if someone reports me for not giving credit for a hack that I made by myself, or whenever I put my videos on YouTube people dislike every video I put on there, but everything else doesn't really bother me
Super Smash Sisters Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SmashSistersFinalConflict/?fref=nf

Smash Sisters Discord: https://discord.gg/QMwMgvg

I wasn't going to make a post here because I don't have anything new to add to the whole conversation, but I feel as I should chip into this.

Like other people have said, the community has taken a bit of a blow recently, despite the various breakthroughs (BrawlEx, Module research, BrawlBox, etc). From what I see, my reasoning for the community falling is because of a few reasons.

-People demand things to be handed to them on a silver platter, even if it's impossible.
-People have a severe lack of wanting to learn. People whom are too busy to learn are exempt from this.
-People can be rather hostile sometimes, myself included (as I can admit I can be rather mean sometimes). But not as bad as other sites.
-Sturgeon's Law having full effect on the Vault.
-Various people enabling bad behavior.
-Various people can't take criticism.
-People tend to have too much of a focus on Project M to even care about Brawl stuff.
-People tend to rely too much on the more well-known modders to make content, rather than make their own.
-Attack of the 503s (this is mostly a joke).
-People acting in a cringe-worthy manner (mostly noobs).

While the Brawl Modding community has taken a blow, I don't think it'll die out so soon. Because games such as DOOM 2 still have a modding community to this very day.

Quote from: tsukikomi on March 23, 2015, 02:17:31 AM
Pretty much explains why some of my desktop pics were deleted even though they're censored for the forums.
Because they were straight up porn. Sexual acts (even if they're censored) break the rules. Don't blame the community because you don't know the rules.

Quote from: tsukikomi on March 23, 2015, 02:17:31 AMYeah I agree, I don't like my need help threads being ignored ether.
I tend to ignore Help Threads for a few reasons.

-People being entitled [censored]s and demanding help.
-Other people are already helping the user.
-The problem is an issue I don't know about.
-I don't want to deal with people whom are just too dense to understand certain things.

Don't take it personally, but don't be so entitled.

Quote from: tyshy on March 23, 2015, 01:22:53 PM
The thing that really makes my angry is when people report hacks for something small or something they just made up, like if someone reports me for not giving credit for a hack that I made by myself, or whenever I put my videos on YouTube people dislike every video I put on there, but everything else doesn't really bother me
So you're going to blame the entire community on a handful of trolls?
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]

Quote from: KingJigglypuff on March 23, 2015, 03:41:11 PM
I wasn't going to make a post here because I don't have anything new to add to the whole conversation, but I feel as I should chip into this.

Neither were many people :V

Quote
-People tend to have too much of a focus on Project M to even care about Brawl stuff.

I wanted to talk about this, not saying that the other stuff is important (Sturgeon's Law gave me a good kek). But this is what I wanted to mention specifically.

I have, for the most part, started to gear more (or whatever is left of it) more towards P:M compatibility. Not because I enjoy P:M, but because there's more of an audience: more people have a chance to see someone's work there as opposed to here. Smashboards is consisted more of consumers as opposed to KCMM which has more creators (which are, for the most part, concerned with their own problems). More people are willing to test for P:M as opposed to testing for Brawl. Hence why I've started posting more on Smashboards than I usually do (which used to be never).

That being said, I'm not saying that KCMM has no people that are willing to test. Not at all. As a matter of fact, I've had more feedback on the Chrom PSA (shoutouts to Ultraxwing and Mr. Ryuzaki L, being the only ones lol) as opposed to Smashboards (Which, I still haven't gotten feedback for, and I'm sure I never will).


Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

March 23, 2015, 06:01:25 PM #99 Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 06:02:54 PM by Nαnobuds
Quote from: tyshy on March 23, 2015, 01:22:53 PM
The thing that really makes my angry is when people report hacks for something small or something they just made up, like if someone reports me for not giving credit for a hack that I made by myself, or whenever I put my videos on YouTube people dislike every video I put on there, but everything else doesn't really bother me
It's not that hard to type a couple of names. Just follow the rules. It's that simple.

And I know this is directed at me. You didn't make the Rosalind model for the PSA. You didn't do it yourself. So you need to credit whoever did. And there is no need to go and falsely report my uploads just because you're a little mad at me.

March 23, 2015, 08:16:49 PM #100 Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 08:18:50 PM by tyshy
Quote from: Nαnobuds on March 23, 2015, 06:01:25 PM
It's not that hard to type a couple of names. Just follow the rules. It's that simple.

And I know this is directed at me. You didn't make the Rosalind model for the PSA. You didn't do it yourself. So you need to credit whoever did. And there is no need to go and falsely report my uploads just because you're a little mad at me.
the only thing I didn't  do on that model was the bang, everything else was my work, and actually that Samus model did freeze my game, I just didn't never reported it, but I noticed that you love to report all of my projects so I reported yours for an actual reason, but I'm not mad lol
Super Smash Sisters Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SmashSistersFinalConflict/?fref=nf

Smash Sisters Discord: https://discord.gg/QMwMgvg

Quote from: KingJigglypuff on March 23, 2015, 03:41:11 PM
-People can be rather hostile sometimes, myself included (as I can admit I can be rather mean sometimes). But not as bad as other sites.
-Various people enabling bad behavior.
-Various people can't take criticism.

U wot cheeky [censored] m8?


Seriously though... those are a constant here. The entitled elitist attitudes as well. I try and behave here. Haven't gotten a warning yet, thank goodness, and I try to help others with things I know how to help with. It's not hard to be kind... yet it's easier to be a rude ass. I am guilty of that. But I usually don't get that way unless the person I'm dealing with warrants it. Either way... I think the community just needs to heal... Not be revived.
WiFi Brawl FC:0606-0014-4748

You turned into a real boring [censored] while I was away. -Yoko

Hooray for surpassing 4000 downloads!! Thanks guys!

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

March 23, 2015, 09:29:36 PM #102 Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 09:51:28 PM by Scuot
Quote from: tyshy on March 23, 2015, 08:16:49 PM
the only thing I didn't  do on that model was the bang, everything else was my work, and actually that Samus model did freeze my game, I just didn't never reported it, but I noticed that you love to report all of my projects so I reported yours for an actual reason, but I'm not mad lol

Easy there.

And such things give the cyan stars a painfull day. These revenge reports are really becoming common, something that grinds my gears. Just make sure these are indeed valid.

Oh and may I remind you, I believe Nano wasn't even

Edit: ... trying to offend, hes just faster than most of us to spot rule breakers, and JUST like us, we may commit mistakes in reporting.

Like, not crediting, something that I fround upon. Especialy, People that don't credit in their packs.

Well, if you have BV issues, mention it on the BV thread.

March 23, 2015, 11:18:45 PM #103 Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:22:56 PM by LinkFX リンク
Plus, I found this site that insults other people's hard work (you would probably recognize this):

fnbv.tumblr.com

I couldn't post the first one because the first word gets censored and pressing it leads to nowhere. It's a website where it judges other people's textures that they have worked so hard on.
Quote from: B a d   T i m e LC-DDM on May 13, 2016, 03:11:44 AM
#MakeNintendoWiFiGreatAgain
QuoteA girl who bullies you is just showing their ignorance while at the same time is too stupid to tell you she likes you.ヽ( ͡°╭​͜ʖ╮​͡° )ノ

Smash 4 Cloud Project:
http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=77350.0


Smash 4 Cloud discord: https://discord.gg/P8e4JUC

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5wsEF4QhWfmmRAKfSNymaw

Anther's Ladder: TheTriforceLink
Smash 3DS mains: Link, Shulk, Falco, Cloud, Villy

Quote from: LinkFX リンク on March 23, 2015, 11:18:45 PM
Plus, I found this site that insults other people's hard work (you would probably recognize this):

fnbv.tumblr.com

I couldn't post the first one because the first word gets censored and pressing it leads to nowhere. It's a website where it judges other people's textures that they have worked so hard on.

Well, so what?

Everywhere you get critique for your art, be it youtube, paint, photography, everywhere. My stuff is in there, you think that stopped me 11 months ago?