Virtual SDHC card (4-32GB in size) for Dolphin usage

Started by Ebola16, July 22, 2015, 08:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

July 22, 2015, 08:09:30 PM Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 11:16:10 PM by Ebola16
This will only work with Dolphin 5.0-5044 or later for SDHC support. Don't forget to use the SDHC Extension 1.1 code when using SDHC.

After looking at mksdcard documentation (http://developer.android.com/tools/help/mksdcard.html), I realized a virtual SD card of any size can be created. I modified ifrit05's "Dolphin SDCard Maker v1.0.bat" to include a 4GB option for more room. My modification can be downloaded here (for Windows, extract before using): http://www.mediafire.com/download/713qu5m08tf8av9/mksdcard+menu.rar

To use:
1. Run "Dolphin SDCard Maker v1.0.bat"
2. Press the appropriate number to generate a virtual SD (SD.raw) of the specified size.
3. Once mksdcard finishes, a SD.raw file will be generated. Place it in Dolphin's SD Card Path, which is the "Wii" folder in your Dolphin Emulator setup by default.

To change a SD.raw filesize option to something other than the given choices:
1. Right-click "Dolphin SDCard Maker v1.0.bat"
2. Select "Edit"
3. Find "start mksdcard.exe -l SDCard XM sd.raw" where "X" could be any filesize in megabytes.
4. Replace X with the size that you want
5. Run "Dolphin SDCard Maker v1.0.bat" and select the option you edited

Notes:
1. Make sure "Insert SD Card" is checked in Dolphin Config options "Wii" Tab.
2. Using a 4GB SD.raw caused a brief "Receiving Vault Data" message to pop up before Brawl's intro video started. Interestingly, this message does not pop up if my SD.raw size is 2 or 3GB. I filed a report for this issue here: 4GB or larger SD cards cause "Receiving Vault Data..." message to display before title screen in SSBB
3. Use a program such as WinImage to add files to SD.raw
Brawlex Advancements (Supplement to the Brawlex thread's original post)
I use RSBE Brawlex v2.0.0.0 Extended, Win 11, and 3ds Max (3ds Max Guide). Refresh to see my imports!

I once found an 8gb virtual SD card online somewhere and attempted to use it with Dolphin, only to discover that for whatever reason, BrawlEx's CSS expansion wouldn't load, limiting me to the usual 50 CSS slots. I have the same problem of using more than 2gb due to BRSTMs, so if using a 4gb card somehow gets around the CSS expansion issue, this is much appreciated.

July 23, 2015, 10:57:36 AM #2 Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 02:49:49 AM by Ebola16
Quote from: Strange Matter on July 23, 2015, 06:36:38 AM
I once found an 8gb virtual SD card online somewhere and attempted to use it with Dolphin, only to discover that for whatever reason, BrawlEx's CSS expansion wouldn't load, limiting me to the usual 50 CSS slots. I have the same problem of using more than 2gb due to BRSTMs, so if using a 4gb card somehow gets around the CSS expansion issue, this is much appreciated.
I found this out awhile ago and had the same issue you described when I was using older versions of Dolphin. You need a version of Dolphin that has SDHC support.
Brawlex Advancements (Supplement to the Brawlex thread's original post)
I use RSBE Brawlex v2.0.0.0 Extended, Win 11, and 3ds Max (3ds Max Guide). Refresh to see my imports!

July 15, 2016, 05:09:38 PM #3 Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 05:18:10 PM by AudryckBVMods
i downloaded a pm mod thats like 3 gigs,can your sd maker be compatible of making 3gb sd.raws cuz 4gb wont work and if used in gecko os it will just load up normal brawl

Post Merge: July 15, 2016, 05:18:10 PM

nvm i made a GB option tho now i need to make mkdscard.exe amke the 3gb sd option work

July 15, 2016, 06:48:59 PM #4 Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 02:50:21 AM by Ebola16
You can use mksdcard to create a 3GB card but you'll get read errors if you attempt to use it with Dolphin before SDHC compatibility.
Brawlex Advancements (Supplement to the Brawlex thread's original post)
I use RSBE Brawlex v2.0.0.0 Extended, Win 11, and 3ds Max (3ds Max Guide). Refresh to see my imports!

Since Dolphin SDHC support has finally been added, this thread can be useful again!
Brawlex Advancements (Supplement to the Brawlex thread's original post)
I use RSBE Brawlex v2.0.0.0 Extended, Win 11, and 3ds Max (3ds Max Guide). Refresh to see my imports!


This is great. The increased file space allowed me to add the necessary files to my BrawlEx pack so Subspace Emissary could work. I even added a whole bunch of SSE stage mods too.