How to get BrawlBox Working in Ubuntu / OSX

Started by Jack H., April 26, 2010, 09:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

April 26, 2010, 09:09:19 PM Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 09:11:02 PM by Jack H.
After some tinkering and guesswork, I've managed to get BrawlBox (.63d) in a perfectly working state within Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx. The images and menu are somewhat skewed, but besides that - everything works as it should.

Because the instructions are followable in OSX as well (not these instructions exactly, but OSX has WINE and Winetricks, which is required for this to work), I have reason to believe that this will allow users to run BrawlBox in OSX too.

---------

Here's the simple tutorial I've whipped up.

--------------

Getting BrawlBox working within Ubuntu (+ other Linux Distros / Mac OSX (unconfirmed))

Components Required
WINE v1.1.42 (or higher)
Winetricks
• allfonts (instead of corefonts, tahoma, and liberation)?[or separately]: corefonts, tahoma, liberation
• d3dx9 (helps)
• ie6 (helps)
• dotnet20 (install as windows version 2000)
• dotnet30 (install as windows version xp)

Step One:
Install WINE:
Wine v1.1.42 (or higher)
Installation:

Download and Install the wine installation that matches your Linux Distro (Ubuntu, Debian, etc) from here: http://www.winehq.org/site/download

----------------------------------------------------------
Step Two:
Install Winetricks:
Installation:

Enter this into terminal:
wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks

Follow instructions, and Install.

----------------------------------------------------------
Step Three:
Run Winetricks / Install Needed Components
Install "allfonts"
• Alt + F2 to open "Run Application" dialogue.
• Type "sh winetricks" without the quotes.
• Select allfonts (or corefonts, tahoma, and liberation separately)
• Click ok, and Install.

Continue to install these one at a time in the order listed above. Refer to the images below for what settings WINE should have when installing dotnet20 and dotnet30.

To change the Default Windows installation environment in Wine by going to Applications >> Wine >> Configure Wine


(Settings for when installing dotnet20)


(Settings for when installing dotnet30)


Results:



Do not bother Kryal with Ubuntu / OSX related issues. Direct them to Jack H.

----------------
Known Issues Minor Annoyances with Ubuntu/OSX Workaround:


  • Checkmarks Missing from Boxes (FUNCTIONAL, graphic is merely missing)
  • Menu is an 'X' (FUNCTIONAL, only text is missing)
  • Error Poppup Upon Opening (FUNCTIONAL)
  • Error Poppup Upon Export (FUNCTIONAL. Just hit OK)
  • Rare/Random Error boxes (None that have hindered functionality however.)
-Jack H.

What to do when I cannot install dotnet20 or 30?

Please uninstall the Samyak/Oriya font, e.g. 'sudo dpkg -r ttf-oriya-fonts', then log out and log in again. That font causes strange crashes in .net programs.

^^^^ That's the message I get.

Quote from: SnackAttack on April 27, 2010, 12:42:36 AM
What to do when I cannot install dotnet20 or 30?

Please uninstall the Samyak/Oriya font, e.g. 'sudo dpkg -r ttf-oriya-fonts', then log out and log in again. That font causes strange crashes in .net programs.

^^^^ That's the message I get.


Well, try doing what it says! Open up terminal, and past in the line it gave you (sudo dpkg -r ttf-oriya-fonts). Sign out, sign in - attempt again.

-Jack H.

April 28, 2010, 03:28:05 AM #3 Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 03:32:14 AM by SnackAttack
Already tried...no avail.

Anything on this?

dpkg - warning: ignoring request to remove ttf-oriya-fonts, only the config
files of which are on the system.  Use --purge to remove them too.
brian@brian-laptop:~$ sudo dpkg -r ttf-oriya-fonts --purge
dpkg - warning: ignoring request to remove ttf-oriya-fonts, only the config
files of which are on the system.  Use --purge to remove them too.
dpkg - warning: ignoring request to remove --purge which isn't installed.

^^ New response.


April 28, 2010, 11:19:37 PM #5 Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:22:33 PM by SnackAttack
Wait, I tried them all at once and it worked fine.

What should I do now?

Install it as XP or 2000? Since I have both?

April 30, 2010, 04:48:31 AM #6 Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 01:27:22 PM by amount18
I am on Mac OS X (Leopard).  I tried this process.  I got wine and winetricks installed, but no window appears that says wine configuration.  Also, when I did sh winetricks it came up with this really wide box of apps to click that you could not scroll through.  I installed corefonts, liberation, tahoma, allfonts, dotnet20 and then tried installing dotnet30, but it failed and had a LOT of error messages.  

Jack. Would you happen to know what the **** this is about?

My mother's laptop does a Symantec Auto-Protect Scan on my flash drive, and found this in the .CMD

"Risk Found: Infostealer.Gampass"

Seeing those words has made me pissed, and I want an explanation. A good one.

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

Quote from: Velen Zaiga on May 01, 2010, 04:38:56 PM
Jack. Would you happen to know what the **** this is about?

My mother's laptop does a Symantec Auto-Protect Scan on my flash drive, and found this in the .CMD

"Risk Found: Infostealer.Gampass"

Seeing those words has made me pissed, and I want an explanation. A good one.

You can probably fix it by going to the security settings and turning off firewall for startup programs.

Could someone put up a download of Brawlbox that has already been made to work on the Mac? Some of us don't want to download all that other stuff.
<br />:af: I download a lot of cool stuff.


I can't start Brawlbox in my linux.
I'm using Ubuntu 10.10.
This is what I receive in terminal:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


I tried to re-install wine, re-configure it, downgrade it and nothing.
Someone can help me?
Check out my threads!
~Music Hacks~
~Texture Hacks~

so the bit we put into terminal
what EXACTLY do we copy and paste into it?


Luigi: I'm a wiener
fail.

I have question, I can not hook up my wii to the internet meaning I can not run the program (It crashes other wise) that I need to get my 4.3u wii to run GX USB loader. Is there some kind of program to fix this?

February 08, 2011, 01:54:18 PM #14 Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 11:14:32 AM by Ag Bengip
I can confirm that your exact instructions work - to a certain extent - in Mac OS X. It doesn't ship with cabextract or wget, though, so those have to be downloaded from elsewhere.

I do have one problem: The "Advanced Model Editor" window won't show up - the program stalls instead. I get the "Asking for unsupported interface" message in Terminal; any ideas?