Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2
Author Topic: Adding Transparency to Textures - wh00t  (Read 8944 times)
ramonM64
Supreme Kitten

moving past the feeling

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Pin Collector Starstormer Renowned Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « on: December 10, 2011, 06:09:12 PM »

alright     instead of postin this over 'n over again for others, i thought i should make it it's own proper guide so its "OUT THERE". adding transparency doesnt take that much work. if yer familiar with brawlbox, it should be simple

CLICK ..for the recycled guide
    i layed on my back and thought.. "what the hell is going on??" so then i posted a help thread that didnt get me much closer to a solution. i didnt want to wait for the solution so i went in brawlbox and studied very closely on how character's materials are for the transparent textures and non-transparent textures. and found out what was going on. this isnt exactly the best guide but i hope it helps.

Download this - http://www.mediafire.com/?2hkpz7v46l7s5sn
    it should have the proper shaders and materials you need for this.

Quick Help : what your doing in this guide is making a new or replacing a MLD0's existing shader and material with the corresponding Shader"number" and Material"number" including in da download. after that, you link and assign the shader to the material. then assign the material's textures to the material references. read on to go more in-depth..

---

"Sharp Transparency"

1. right-click the MLD0 and "Add New Shader"
    2. right-click and replace that new shader added with "Shader1 - Sharp"
    3. expand the MLD0's Materials Folder and go to the Materials you want transparency (or "Add New Material")
    4. right-click the material and replace it with "Material1 - Sharp"
    5. change ("link") that material's "Shader" drop box to that new shader made in step 2.
    6. after that, expand that new/replaced Material and click the blank material reference
    7. then, assign proper textures and palettes in the "Texture" and "Palette" box at the top. found under the "Misc" section
    8. lastly, make sure your new edited material is assigned to the proper Object in the MLD0's Objects Folder
    7. it should work from there, Brawlbox 0.66 now does most of the manual work.

[use the rest of the steps to make sure it works 100% how you want]

---

8. in those Materials, "AllowTransparency" is at True ("EnableAlphaTest" in Brawlbox 0.65c and up) and scroll to the very top to the "ALPHA FUNCTION"
    9. use these settings..

[ALPHA FUNCTION]
    Ref0 - 128
    Comp0 - COMPARE_GEQUAL
    Logic - ALPHAOP_AND
    Ref1 - 255
    Comp1 - COMPARE_LEQUAL

[in Brawlbox 0.65c and up]
    [Alpha Function]
    Ref0 - 128
    Comp0 - GreaterOrEqual
    Logic - ALPHAOP_AND
    Ref1 - 255
    Comp1 - LessOrEqual

10. make sure that texture yer messin with has a ALPHA layer with everythin you dont want erased, like ike's bandana
    11. make sure all non-transparent textures set to "Allow Transparency - False "
    12. that should make it transparent, the rest is experimenting with the "Cull Option".

the cull option is settings from where the polygon's textures are invisible from. example, if ya choose "cull_inside", it makes the poly's textures invisible from the back. also, you can set the Ref0 in the ALPHA function to a lower senstivity (lower number) to control how strong the transparency is.

You dont have to use that shader and material from the "Download This" above. Just make sure it originates from a brawl character's shader and material that does use Transparency.

Note : When typing in and assigning the Material's textures, remember, all Material Texture References are case-sensitive. So make sure they are EXACTLY the same as the texture's name

-------------------------------
    [Continued.. ?]

If you want a transparency to be blended more smoothly around edges and want semi-transparency (half-see-through areas) too.. follow this instead

"Blended Transparency"

1. follow steps 1-7 in the "Sharp Transparency" guide up there except instead of using "Shader1 - Sharp" and "Material1 - Sharp", use "Shader2 - Blend" and "Material2 - Blend"

[follow the steps below to make sure it works 114% how you want]

---

2. in their material settings, scroll the right window up to "Blend Mode"
    3. make sure "EnableBlend" is set to "True"
    4. scroll down the right window to "Z Mode"
    5. make sure "EnableDepthUpdate" is set to "False"
    6. that should be it.. test it in-game
    7. you need experiment with the Z Mode stuff after that to get it exactly how you want.

use the same cull options, like the other type of transparency from above, for reference. also, the transparency might bleed or eat polys. if that happens you have to change the materials you dont want it to eat at with transparency set to False and mess with the Z mode on the Blended Transparency material

I also included a Null shader (from Mewtwo2000) that works with blended transparency and it also can keep materials assigned to it always BRIGHT. its the "Shader3 - Blend_Null" and "Material3 - Blend_Null". follow the above except replace it with this. also, in Brawlbox 0.65c, change the material's "C0Enums1" and "C0Enums3" settings from 3 to 1. that should make it unaffected by stage's lighting.

Note : setting "C0Enums1" and "C0Enums3" settings from 3 to 1 to make a material unaffected by lighting should work on any Material.

If you want to add a ALPHA layer to yer texture so it can have transparency..
    using GIMP, go to File>New.. and while makin a new canvas the exact size of yer texture, click the + on advanced settings and then change "Fill with: " to "Transparency".

• you should see a blank checkered background.
    • after that you go to File>Open Layer As..>then choose yer texture

to know if and wheres the transparency, you should see a checkered background where its transparent. if you dont and you see it white or something where you want it transparent, use the eraser tool or wand (fuzzy select tool) to erase it.

• continue to use the eraser and tools to erase what you want to become transparent
    • after yer done editing, make sure to save in a transparency compatible format (like .png)
    • that should do it
    --------------------
    if theres a step ya need help with, lemme know.
    « Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 06:26:17 PM by ramonM64 » Logged

DemonBoy
    Holy Kitten

That one guy

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Super Saiyan Topic Starstormer Renowned Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 08:54:13 AM »

I followed this guide exactly but I can't seem to get it right. It either goes full transparent or not at all. I'm working on the SSBM Wireframes if that helps get an idea of what i'm trying to do.

Spex130
    Holy Kitten

So very Spexcellent.

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Starstormer Hyperactive Contributor Renowned Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 11:04:37 AM »

Hey Ramon! I followed this guide for an Import I'm doing, and I noticed that if you set Ref0 to 128 and Ref1 to 255, anything that's slightly see-through in the textures becomes completely invisible.

I found that if you set Ref0 to 100, however, you can make things see-through instead of invisible. Just thought I'd tell you.

DemonBoy
    Holy Kitten

That one guy

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 12:08:26 PM »

Hey Ramon! I followed this guide for an Import I'm doing, and I noticed that if you set Ref0 to 128 and Ref1 to 255, anything that's slightly see-through in the textures becomes completely invisible.

I found that if you set Ref0 to 100, however, you can make things see-through instead of invisible. Just thought I'd tell you.

I love you for that. now i can finish the wireframes

Edit: Nevermind I still cant get it. I must be messing something up
    « Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 01:26:21 PM by DemonBoy » Logged

ramonM64
    Supreme Kitten

moving past the feeling

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 04:09:31 PM »

niice find Spex, ill add it in the OP notes.

I love you for that. now i can finish the wireframes

Edit: Nevermind I still cant get it. I must be messing something up
    actualy my bad. i completely forgot about the OTHER option, which i think is what you need. if i remember right.. its a blended transparency, do the same thing in the tutorial except dont mess with the alpha function, scroll up and in "blend mode", EnableBlend - True, and then allow transparency is false.. it MIGHT not work and reguires a specific character's shader that uses this, like zero suit samus's pony tail shader.    

try that out.  ima fix up the OP

in case im missin something, DemonBoy, tell me the exact settings you changed and what you changed them to. by full transparent, yer talking about the WHOLE texture going transparent or like how Spex noted? also, which shader did you use?
    « Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 04:24:02 PM by ramonM64 » Logged

DemonBoy
    Holy Kitten

That one guy

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 04:30:07 PM »

niice find Spex, ill add it in the OP notes.
     actualy my bad. i completely forgot about the OTHER option, which i think is what you need. if i remember right.. its a blended transparency, do the same thing in the tutorial except dont mess with the alpha function, scroll up and in "blend mode", EnableBlend - True, and then allow transparency is false.. it MIGHT not work and reguires a specific character's shader that uses this, like zero suit samus's pony tail shader.    

try that out.  ima fix up the OP

in case im missin something, DemonBoy, tell me the exact settings you changed and what you changed them to. by full transparent, yer talking about the WHOLE texture going transparent or like how Spex noted? also, which shader did you use?

I did exactly what you just told me to do and it worked. I made a new shader, replaced it with Zero suits ponytail shader, (shader1) linked it to what i wanted transparent, Blend mode enabled, transparacy false, and cull inside.

got exactly what I wanted. Thanks

Spex130
    Holy Kitten

So very Spexcellent.

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Starstormer Hyperactive Contributor Renowned Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 06:45:58 PM »

I did exactly what you just told me to do and it worked. I made a new shader, replaced it with Zero suits ponytail shader, (shader1) linked it to what i wanted transparent, Blend mode enabled, transparacy false, and cull inside.

So, you put the same settings as the OP,  and then changed Blend mode, Transparancy, and Cull right?

I got the same effect you did with the Wireframes by changing Ref0, but that was a real pain to go through.

DemonBoy
    Holy Kitten

That one guy

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 06:54:21 PM »

I did exactly what I said I did in my last post and nothing more. I didn't mess with the alpha section at all.

ramonM64
    Supreme Kitten

moving past the feeling

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 07:28:54 PM »

niice wireframe DemonBoy.. so many wires everywhere

thank you both    i updated the OP, it should be good for now

Funzy <3
    Maven of the Strings
    Supreme Kitten

Party!

• Awards Hot Topic 64-bit Core Gamer Heart Container Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 02:40:36 PM »

niice wireframe DemonBoy.. so many wires everywhere

thank you both    i updated the OP, it should be good for now
    So is this like to make it so ok like an example on our Rikku Import she has a ribbon on the back of her shoes that is just an image of a ribbon with transparency around it, and if you look from the back you see through her shoe? you understand what im asking?

Personas: Rikku Fabool (FFX-2), Yuzuki Yukari ( Vocaloid 3), Shuichi Shindou ( Gravitation), Sunao Fujimori (Sukisyo), Belphegor  ( Katekyo Hitman Reborn) ,Juliet Starling (Lollipop Chainsaw), Roxy ( Final Fight), Human Duskull (Pokemon), Human Haunter (Pokemon), Human Jirachi (Pokemon), Boris Airay (Alice in the Country of Hearts). Monica (Dark Cloud 2) CoCo Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot) Galaco (Vocaloid 3), Uni (Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2), Anime Lady GaGa (Nuff Said) Teto Kasane (Utau), Grell Sutcliff (Black Butler), Iris Heart (Hyperdiminsion Neptunia Victory) [When Pride isn't using her >w>]

DevMasters
    Expert Kitten

... To Epic.

• Awards Favorite'd Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 11:55:24 PM »

I was wondering how can you make a Alpha layer for the parts you dont want erased?

R  U  O  K!!!?

DemonBoy
    Holy Kitten

That one guy

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 12:19:29 AM »

So is this like to make it so ok like an example on our Rikku Import she has a ribbon on the back of her shoes that is just an image of a ribbon with transparency around it, and if you look from the back you see through her shoe? you understand what im asking?

Actually, to fix that you would need to find the material that the shoe is and change cull_all to cull_none.

it will disable all transparency on the shoe so you won't see through it.

Funzy <3
    Maven of the Strings
    Supreme Kitten

Party!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 01:48:35 AM »

Actually, to fix that you would need to find the material that the shoe is and change cull_all to cull_none.

it will disable all transparency on the shoe so you won't see through it.

really thank you soooo much!!
    on more question we have a model with hair that is transparentable and its alot of dif polygons and you see through them because of the others so is the fix a different case?
    « Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 01:50:11 AM by X_funtaztic_X » Logged

Personas: Rikku Fabool (FFX-2), Yuzuki Yukari ( Vocaloid 3), Shuichi Shindou ( Gravitation), Sunao Fujimori (Sukisyo), Belphegor  ( Katekyo Hitman Reborn) ,Juliet Starling (Lollipop Chainsaw), Roxy ( Final Fight), Human Duskull (Pokemon), Human Haunter (Pokemon), Human Jirachi (Pokemon), Boris Airay (Alice in the Country of Hearts). Monica (Dark Cloud 2) CoCo Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot) Galaco (Vocaloid 3), Uni (Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2), Anime Lady GaGa (Nuff Said) Teto Kasane (Utau), Grell Sutcliff (Black Butler), Iris Heart (Hyperdiminsion Neptunia Victory) [When Pride isn't using her >w>]

DemonBoy
    Holy Kitten

That one guy

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 02:11:06 AM »

really thank you soooo much!!
    on more question we have a model with hair that is transparentable and its alot of dif polygons and you see through them because of the others so is the fix a different case?

Sorry, but I don't know how to fix that.

Funzy <3
    Maven of the Strings
    Supreme Kitten

Party!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 02:36:40 AM »

Sorry, but I don't know how to fix that.
    oh and i tried the cull thing and it didnt work for her shoes when looking at the ribbon you could still see through it :/

Pages:  [1] 2
    Print
    Jump to: