Brawl Vault Problems, Updates, and Suggestions

Started by ピカノ, January 06, 2011, 09:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

January 08, 2011, 03:44:57 PM #45 Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:47:29 PM by Tcll
Quote from: picano on January 08, 2011, 03:39:21 PM
My guess would be that you already have some virus on your system that is tampering with your browsing, either redirecting traffic through a shady proxy or modifying content based on a list of popular sites.

you snuck 1 in ahead of me =P
didn't think of those XD

Quote from: picano on January 08, 2011, 03:39:21 PMThough if you've got any suggestions I'm open to ideas.

same here specter :)

[spoiler]Quote: Friedslick6
you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.
But the coolest part was that you didn't stop working on it despite that.

Quote: Internet Explorer
you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

quote: Greg
You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

January 08, 2011, 03:46:05 PM #46 Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:48:14 PM by Tcll
Quote from: (specter) on January 08, 2011, 03:43:18 PM
Both times I got the virus I had an ad appear in a separate window Tcll.

Picano, so you're saying a virus got past my Norton? Because I always keep it on and it blocks like every single thing -- I don't think a virus could have gotten through.

it could if it's a new virus :/
(recently developed)

[spoiler]Quote: Friedslick6
you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.
But the coolest part was that you didn't stop working on it despite that.

Quote: Internet Explorer
you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

quote: Greg
You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

January 08, 2011, 03:51:11 PM #47 Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 04:02:39 PM by (specter)
Quote from: Tcll on January 08, 2011, 03:46:05 PM
Quote from: (specter) on January 08, 2011, 03:43:18 PM
Both times I got the virus I had an ad appear in a separate window Tcll.

Picano, so you're saying a virus got past my Norton? Because I always keep it on and it blocks like every single thing -- I don't think a virus could have gotten through.

it could if it's a new virus :/
(recently developed)

Well anyway I haven't noticed any suspicious goings-on in my computer as of late. Unless the virus is silent like AIDS or something -- you never know you have it until later. I also never heard of a virus that helps your computer get another virus while browsing.

I think I'll go run a quick scan and see what I can pick up.

Edit: Scan completed.

Total Items Scanned: 4,112
Total Risks Found: 1
Total Risks Fixed: 1

So yeah... Looks like it's all good... I'm glad I ran the scan now for that risk to be found and fixed; I wonder what it was?

Quote from: (specter) on January 08, 2011, 03:51:11 PM
I also never heard of a virus that helps your computer get another virus while browsing.

Wouldn't necessarily be intended to do so, but if my proxy/redirect theory were true... a shady server wouldn't have a second thought against trying to earn a little extra revenue that way. Also, although a hell of a lot more obvious of a virus, a certain fake anti-virus does something similar.

Not that I really doubt ya in any of this, just trying to think up reasonable alternatives. I'd put up a warning immediately if I was sure there was a virus threat --- but hampering much of Brawl Vault's functionality on a single case would be a bit drastic.


Quote from: picano on January 08, 2011, 04:00:38 PM
Quote from: (specter) on January 08, 2011, 03:51:11 PM
I also never heard of a virus that helps your computer get another virus while browsing.

Wouldn't necessarily be intended to do so, but if my proxy/redirect theory were true... a shady server wouldn't have a second thought against trying to earn a little extra revenue that way. Also, although a hell of a lot more obvious of a virus, a certain fake anti-virus does something similar.

Not that I really doubt ya in any of this, just trying to think up reasonable alternatives. I'd put up a warning immediately if I was sure there was a virus threat --- but hampering much of Brawl Vault's functionality on a single case would be a bit drastic.

So you're saying when I went to MediaFire I was really on some fake server or something without me knowing? Why does no one else get that, then? How could I prevent that?

Actually this most recent virus (Malicious Tool Kit Variant I think it was called) was obtained from downloading the Brawl Minus official release from Smash Mods (I needed to get a fresh 'private' folder to give to some noob I'm helping to install his Minus over PM here).

When I go to the resources page it says that I'm logged out, then when I go to the forums it says I'm logged back in. WTF?

Quote from: Hollow on January 08, 2011, 10:28:02 PM
When I go to the resources page it says that I'm logged out, then when I go to the forums it says I'm logged back in. WTF?
I just confirmed this O_o"

January 09, 2011, 03:15:15 AM #52 Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 03:21:43 AM by Tcll
hey...
those posts had valuble info D:
please don't delete them :/

___

Quote from: Tcll on Today at 06:03:55 PM
umm...

I have a few templates out for HexEdit:
MDL0
REFT

this is HexEdit:


if you'll notice, I'm actually looking at an MDL0 ;)
the template is on the left...
you can also highlight the hex

Quote from: Tcll on Today at 06:15:47 PM
now this is the link to get HexEdit:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11656041&postcount=2778
^use that...

HexEdit is the professional version of HxD

[spoiler]Quote: Friedslick6
you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.
But the coolest part was that you didn't stop working on it despite that.

Quote: Internet Explorer
you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

quote: Greg
You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

HexEdit is an advanced hex editor where as HxD is only a basic...

if I'm gonna be pumping out templates for this thing,
I don't want people going
huh... WTF is this and WTF do I do with it... :srs:

I'm not posting any more links to HexEdit (the real HexEdit)

what gets me is...
where the F did jack find that POC prog :notimp:
that's even worse than a basic hex editor...


[spoiler]Quote: Friedslick6
you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.
But the coolest part was that you didn't stop working on it despite that.

Quote: Internet Explorer
you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

quote: Greg
You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

January 09, 2011, 03:49:48 AM #54 Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 04:00:13 AM by mnsg
I looked at the resources update, and noticed that WiiFlow is missing from the list of Game Backup Launchers.  It possesses the following features...

*The ability to install Wii ISOs onto your USB device.  NTFS file system devices are also supported.
*Ocarina code support.
*The ability to organize your ISOs by categories.

For more features, refer to the following link...

http://www.wiiflowiki.com/

January 09, 2011, 06:44:40 AM #55 Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 06:51:20 AM by picano
Quote from: Pride on January 08, 2011, 10:35:16 PM
Quote from: Hollow on January 08, 2011, 10:28:02 PM
When I go to the resources page it says that I'm logged out, then when I go to the forums it says I'm logged back in. WTF?
I just confirmed this O_o"

I... wtf. I'm not sure how that happens... it uses the Brawl Vault header where the code is stored... *investigates*.

Er... scratch that. I blame Jack, the header was hard coded. I say we all poke him repeatedly.

<Browser / OS Rant>
XP was good for its time and undoubtedly a godsend compared to Vista... but now it's time to upgrade. 7 Improves greatly upon both Vista and XP in terms of compatibility and stability (unless something is wrong with your hardware, it is highly unlikely to ever bluescreen on 7); sure some things get cut (some programs from 98 and below) but you can't support something forever without becoming bloatware (which windows already kind of suffers from).

Sticking with XP was a nobrainer when Vista was still the new kid on the block but with 7 actually being decent, a lot of stuff will be heading towards it... not to mention 4GB RAM being standard nowadays and 7 actually supporting higher amounts.

Also...
Try Pale Moon --- it's a Firefox variant coded specifically for windows.
http://www.palemoon.org/

Alternatively, AFOM addon for firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/11922/
It essentially is a memory cleaner for FF; it cuts down memory hogging by eliminating stuff the default program leaks.

Also... Opera is far from least supported. It isn't used as much but as it is standards compliant (unlike a certain M$ brand browser...) it gets the job done.
</Browser / OS Rant>


Seriously?

Clearly Linux Mint 10 rocks all, as does the safari browser.
/sarcasm

Yeah, hard coded the header back in August... I don't recall why. We'll see if it can be fixed. ^^;
-Jack H.

Quote from: Jack H. on January 09, 2011, 06:56:48 AM
Seriously?

Clearly Linux Mint 10 rocks all, as does the safari browser.
/sarcasm

Yeah, hard coded the header back in August... I don't recall why. We'll see if it can be fixed. ^^;
Seems like it's fixed, i just tried and it shows me logged in like it should.

Quote from: Pride on January 09, 2011, 07:04:20 AM
Quote from: Jack H. on January 09, 2011, 06:56:48 AM
Seriously?

Clearly Linux Mint 10 rocks all, as does the safari browser.
/sarcasm

Yeah, hard coded the header back in August... I don't recall why. We'll see if it can be fixed. ^^;
Seems like it's fixed, i just tried and it shows me logged in like it should.

I am a master of copypasta! MUAHAHAHAHA, BOW BEFORE MY <?php include('BrawlHeader.php'); ?>!


Quote from: picano on January 09, 2011, 07:15:04 AM
Quote from: Pride on January 09, 2011, 07:04:20 AM
Quote from: Jack H. on January 09, 2011, 06:56:48 AM
Seriously?

Clearly Linux Mint 10 rocks all, as does the safari browser.
/sarcasm

Yeah, hard coded the header back in August... I don't recall why. We'll see if it can be fixed. ^^;
Seems like it's fixed, i just tried and it shows me logged in like it should.

I am a master of copypasta! MUAHAHAHAHA, BOW BEFORE MY <?php include('BrawlHeader.php'); ?>!
Hahaha that made me lol hard XD