Board Problems, Suggestions and Updates

Started by Miacis, September 12, 2009, 11:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.




Useful Info regarding that post:
"Database Error
Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator."

Can we use the button "Report" for a topic on wrong place?

August 29, 2011, 01:23:01 PM #755 Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 01:32:59 PM by ピカノ
Quote from: stickman on August 29, 2011, 12:46:38 PM
Do the logs that smf generates in the db have any other purpose than to just tell what errors occurred when and what activity goes on in the vault? Stripping some of those could save space and unclog the db, at least a little bit.

I'm pretty good with php and sql. I wrote two [simple] websites using them (and slightly customized a smf 2.0 on the second site). Only if you want me back, though...

Pretty much. I clean those semi-regularly.

Brawl Vault also creates a huge log, part of which is devoted to the report management system. (And I can't stress enough how much I hate that such a bloated system was even required in the first place) Any resolved report (and non-report data) is removed semi-regularly.

As far as I can tell, the big problem we have is with the forum itself. With the amount of users / simultaneous connections, the server times out on certain requests (sometimes halfway through an operation). Miacis's guess on 'illegal operations' accumulating is, as far as I can tell, an accurate description of the problem.

The smaller problems (anything not directly dealing with our over-burdened server) should be helped by running the General Maintenance stuff in the Forum Maintenance section. Some of these are likely server / DB intensive processes and should not be run during our busy hours.

(Edit: Just ran the table optimizer, it didn't do much
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


Moderation log can be cleaned out unless we have any issues to resolve there.

And I'm currently running find/fix errors.

We could try the recalculate one later... which will likely screw with anyone's custom post counts.
)



Quote from: stickman on August 29, 2011, 01:37:16 PM
Is there anything I can do to try to help?

Rewrite / Optimize Brawl Vault. :P

Uhh... I don't really know.

SMF is... SMF; can only really fix problems as they arise.

Wordpress... that's always been a resource hog, despite Jack's many fixes.

Brawl Vault is somewhat a worry at this point, the code is 2 years old now --- made at a point in time where I was still extremely new to PHP and SQL. The stats page would probably be the easiest for 'an outsider' to fix. Right now stats are calculated each page load; changing it up to once a day or so would free up some resources / possibly allow for collaborations to be included in hack total count. (If you'd like to play around with it a bit, I can export out a small chunk of the vault DB for you to play around with --- it'll be quite apparent how much of the setup was an afterthought)


If you need a testing grounds, You got the full support of Kcmm-E's site.
Kit's Youtube of Combos and Randomness
Also featuring a Deviantart page full of random images I make
Official FaceBook Page to get a hold of me, catch up with what I'm doing, or just like me!




Quote from: KTH on August 29, 2011, 12:54:02 PM
Can we use the button "Report" for a topic on wrong place?
Yes. Just explain where it should belong, in the report's motive.
Like "Belong in PSA Help" as an example.
Round and round the signature goes ~
~ where it stops, nobody knows.

Because i've report a guy, on "Introduction", he bump a topic since 2 years ago.

Quote from: KTH on August 29, 2011, 02:10:29 PM
Because i've report a guy, on "Introduction", he bump a topic since 2 years ago.
Well, the guy already got warned for bumping several of these topics. You're a bit late. :P
Round and round the signature goes ~
~ where it stops, nobody knows.


I'm trying to report a Thread on a error appear :

An Error Has Occurred!
Hacking attempt...