Board Problems, Suggestions and Updates

Started by Miacis, September 12, 2009, 11:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

September 25, 2011, 03:06:17 PM #900 Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 03:08:09 PM by SiLeNtDo0m
Quote from: Segtendo on September 25, 2011, 02:37:08 PM
You're thinking of a captcha, which actually isn't a bad idea.

Ah so that's what it's called.  Yeah that's precisely what I'm thinking of XD



Quote from: Miacis Ballard on September 25, 2011, 02:56:41 PM
Dang, it was so obvious. I wonder why we never thought about that ... >.>

OWAIT probably because we already did. As well as adding a mathematic bot filter, and a picture bot filter.

Well, if you hadn't noticed, I joined about 17 months ago.  I'm fairly sure this wasn't implemented then, and even if it was it was too long ago for me to remember.

September 25, 2011, 03:09:27 PM #901 Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 03:10:42 PM by Miacis Ballard
Quote from: SiLeNtDo0m on September 25, 2011, 03:06:17 PM
Ah so that's what it's called.  Yeah that's precisely what I'm thinking of XD


Well, as I just said, we've already got that anti-bot system, as well as 2 other ones. Anyone can just log out of their account for a few seconds and try to register to test them. :P

But you guys have no idea how many bot attacks we get on a daily basis ... .-.
Nowadays, the only bots that manage to post on the boards were either registered before we had any anti-bot measures, or were just really lucky/clever.
Round and round the signature goes ~
~ where it stops, nobody knows.

He was talking about guest bots, not registered ones. The only way to prevent those would be captchas or something before viewing a page, and that would be too inconvenient for users. But they're not hurting anything, so there's no reason to do something anyway.

Though getting rid of them probably would lighten our traffic load.

Though it would also filter some of the bots that we WANT to have lurking on the boards ... like the Google ones, or those from other similar websites, that help us get more people around.

Although it would probably lighten our traffic load even more.
But hey, it's kinda hard to ask for both no traffic, and new people/popularity. ._.
Round and round the signature goes ~
~ where it stops, nobody knows.

And Vyse saves the day again.

Thanks for adding the color.
:vyse:
[black]ㅤlㅤ[/black]

[black]ㅤlㅤ[/black]


Quote from: SiLeNtDo0m on September 25, 2011, 03:06:17 PM
Ah so that's what it's called.  Yeah that's precisely what I'm thinking of XD



Well, if you hadn't noticed, I joined about 17 months ago.  I'm fairly sure this wasn't implemented then, and even if it was it was too long ago for me to remember.

Captcha doesn't keep all the bots out.

I've never seen a forum that doesn't get a bot now and then.

Quote from: Vyse on September 25, 2011, 04:13:52 PM
He was talking about guest bots, not registered ones. The only way to prevent those would be captchas or something before viewing a page, and that would be too inconvenient for users. But they're not hurting anything, so there's no reason to do something anyway.

Though getting rid of them probably would lighten our traffic load.
why would anyone have bots for a forum anyway
its not like its beneficial or something

There should also be a way to separate moderation from your siblings in real life : (
even if the family may disappear, the time we spent together will not...
Check out my DeviantArt:
http://sigufaira.deviantart.com/
Check out my Youtube too!: http://www.youtube.com/user/faira0496?feature=watch
3DS FC: 0559-7845-4582
other info:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

personas
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
[/spoiler]

Man thank God there was a way to recalculate the posts counts. So much win.

Now it's more balanced and fair for everybody.

Very happy about this.

Kinda funny to see some people that had thousands, and thousands of posts, now they're barely on the 500's.

Quote from: ItalianStallion on September 26, 2011, 04:24:51 AM
Man thank God there was a way to recalculate the posts counts. So much win.

Now it's more balanced and fair for everybody.

Very happy about this.

Kinda funny to see some people that had thousands, and thousands of posts, now they're barely on the 500's.
True.
I used to have the, about, 8th highest post count on the fotum. I'm now in the top 3. You're close behind :P
[white]: SW-2632-7270-6724[/white]


Quote from: Segtendo on September 26, 2011, 04:31:37 AM
True.
I used to have the, about, 8th highest post count on the fotum. I'm now in the top 3. You're close behind :P

I can see you're only 35 posts ahead of me.

*Posts everywhere like a maniac*

Also, where is this information at?

Quote from: ItalianStallion on September 26, 2011, 04:35:55 AM
I can see you're only 35 posts ahead of me.

*Posts everywhere like a maniac*

Also, where is this information at?
On the members page, you can click on the "posts" colum and it'll organize from most to least posts.
[white]: SW-2632-7270-6724[/white]


Quote from: ItalianStallion on September 26, 2011, 04:24:51 AM
Man thank God there was a way to recalculate the posts counts. So much win.

Now it's more balanced and fair for everybody.

Very happy about this.

Kinda funny to see some people that had thousands, and thousands of posts, now they're barely on the 500's.

I don't really get why you care.

Post count hardly matters to me, the 50k I had before came from Miacis some time 2 years ago. :P

Quote from: Segtendo on September 26, 2011, 04:48:28 AM
On the members page, you can click on the "posts" colum and it'll organize from most to least posts.

Of course MarioDK would be the number one, lol.

Quote from: Oizen™ on September 26, 2011, 04:56:25 AM
I don't really get why you care.

It's not really that I care, it's just surprising to me that I'm that active around hacking sections and stuff. That's what's amusing to me. Maybe not to someone else?

Quote from: Oizen™ on September 26, 2011, 04:56:25 AM
Post count hardly matters to me, the 50k I had before came from Miacis some time 2 years ago. :P

I lol'd at sexy power abuse back when it was allowed.

Also, kinda off topic, but I noticed you're -998 years old now.

Quote from: ItalianStallion on September 26, 2011, 05:28:29 AM
Of course MarioDK would be the number one, lol.

It's not really that I care, it's just surprising to me that I'm that active around hacking sections and stuff. That's what's amusing to me. Maybe not to someone else?

I lol'd at sexy power abuse back when it was allowed.

Also, kinda off topic, but I noticed you're -998 years old now.
It was oizens birthday couple days ago
even if the family may disappear, the time we spent together will not...
Check out my DeviantArt:
http://sigufaira.deviantart.com/
Check out my Youtube too!: http://www.youtube.com/user/faira0496?feature=watch
3DS FC: 0559-7845-4582
other info:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

personas
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
[/spoiler]

Quote from: ItalianStallion on September 26, 2011, 05:28:29 AM
Of course MarioDK would be the number one, lol.

It's not really that I care, it's just surprising to me that I'm that active around hacking sections and stuff. That's what's amusing to me. Maybe not to someone else?

I lol'd at sexy power abuse back when it was allowed.

Also, kinda off topic, but I noticed you're -998 years old now.

I'm actually 17, but using the broken calendar settings for the forums to become -998 is more amusing.

and lets be honest, you're laughing at people in the family aren't you? Well so am I.