Board Problems, Suggestions and Updates

Started by Miacis, September 12, 2009, 11:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

September 27, 2011, 04:37:38 AM #990 Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 04:38:39 AM by Oizen™
Quote from: cx_asuka on September 27, 2011, 03:57:42 AM
Quoted for truth.
"KC MM
You'll come for the Hacks and stay for the Drama!"
Sadly, not really.
Many people post spam as well as irrelevant and off-topic things all over the forum.
And because I feel like being dull, I'll say the most clear example is NaruZeldaMaster.

Oh, and there's the introductions sub-forum too, while some people post there to give an authentic welcome to new people, others post for the sake of posting and raising their post count...
Now this is something that reminds me of a certain thing I wanted to discuss before...

What the hell?
Do staff people even check threads in all parts of the forum? And you know... actually do their job?
Do you guys have the initiative of checking new posts and new threads?

It gives me the impression that you just moderate if you happen to see it by chance in a thread you're interested in... Or maybe only pay attention when something's reported.

When I had the time some weeks ago, I roamed a little around the sections, checked a few threads, found rule-breaking posts and reported them.
I didn't even need to be searching, I just randomly checked the most recent page in a thread and found them... then how come mods don't do anything about them or even notice all the spam?

Users shouldn't be notifying the staff about everything... and the staff shouldn't rely on users reporting all that happens here.
I thought people in staff would at least have the common sense of "patrolling".

Also... "you'll need to be a man and use that report button"...
lolwut XD

Personally, I've never been on a forum with these omnipotent moderators who are everywhere at once, you should really lower your standards and realize that we're not being paid or rewarded for this. You seem to always say you're short on time, though I've yet to see it, maybe you should consider that there is a possibility you're not the only person in the world doing something.

but I digress, ungrateful people causing drama isn't exactly new here. Now as vyse said, were looking into a local moderator idea, but its going to take time to set up.

Quote from: Vyse on September 27, 2011, 04:12:01 AM
...How much time do you think we have?

Either you don't appreciate just how large this forum is, or you're just being unreasonable. Of course we don't go around checking everything. You said yourself that you went looking
Yes, I dedicated a few minutes to check some threads, and it wasn't that much time to be honest but it was enough to find quite some things that needed to be reported...

I do know how many forums and sub-forums there are, but that's the reason why there's a group of moderators, because we can't (and I certainly don't) expect a couple of people to handle all the things that go on here.

But I think part of the problem is the people you have as moderators... some of them are not active, others don't really have much time to dedicate to this place, others don't even care much about the forums in general and only go to certain sections or threads.

I also wonder why you guys decided to have only global moderators... it would have worked better to keep mods for each section...
Making all the mods have the task of moderating globally makes mods address only some things and ignore everything else.
Imo, it would be more efficient to give each mod the task of looking after specific sub-forums.
Assigning the most active sub-forums to the most active mods and less active sub-forums to less active mods.

Quote from: Vyse on September 27, 2011, 04:12:01 AMWhich I know I don't have. I'm a senior CS major; my limited time here is largely spent working behind the scenes on stuff, like what I've done lately, and handling reports. I certainly don't have the luxury of looking around for extra stuff to do, especially when I don't care a bit about Brawl hacking anyway.
And we appreciate all that you do here, thanks.

Quote from: Vyse on September 27, 2011, 04:12:01 AM
Though maybe we will find a few people to be local mods instead of global, to "patrol" some high-traffic boards. It's something that needs to be discussed.
That's a good idea, and hope you can implement it, it would help you guys handle more parts of the forums.



Quote from: Oizen™ on September 27, 2011, 04:37:38 AM

Personally, I've never been on a forum with these omnipotent moderators who are everywhere at once, you should really lower your standards and realize that we're not being paid or rewarded for this. You seem to always say you're short on time, though I've yet to see it, maybe you should consider that there is a possibility you're not the only person in the world doing something.
Maybe you should stop assuming things and putting words in my mouth.
And I didn't know that wanting a group of moderators to be active enough and moderating was such a high standard.  r)

Also, please don't use the "we don't get paid or rewarded" argument, it's been used way too much. We all know it... we're in a hacking community, any person modding a game knows it and can say the same.
If you don't like people talking about how you do a "job" you "don't get paid or rewarded" for... simply don't pay attention to it, or don't do said job.

Oh, and "you have yet to see it"? lol
Since when do people have to prove things to you?

Quote from: Oizen™ on September 27, 2011, 04:37:38 AMbut I digress, ungrateful people causing drama isn't exactly new here. Now as vyse said, were looking into a local moderator idea, but its going to take time to set up.
Calling people ungrateful drama queens again? Geez...
The community loves you too Oizen...
Now please continue defending us from those evil bots that want to sell us things! D:
Or better yet, go troll someone in the family thread, I heard it's fun and one of your fave things to do.  ;)

Quote from: cx_asuka on September 27, 2011, 05:23:23 AM
I also wonder why you guys decided to have only global moderators... it would have worked better to keep mods for each section...
Making all the mods have the task of moderating globally makes mods address only some things and ignore everything else.
Imo, it would be more efficient to give each mod the task of looking after specific sub-forums.
Assigning the most active sub-forums to the most active mods and less active sub-forums to less active mods.
Global mods worked fine when the board was smaller, but the board has seen a bit of an explosive growth spurt in the past... six months or so? And we're still adjusting to that, I guess.

Honestly, that this forum is still alive, let alone this big, still surprises me if I stop to think about it.

If you dont mind me asking Vyse... How many Mods are currently "Active"?
FC:4898-8419-2778

Quote from: Nuke on September 27, 2011, 05:48:29 AM
If you dont mind me asking Vyse... How many Mods are currently "Active"?
There are currently 6 global mods: Oizen, Vish, dRage, Segab, LookItsLink, and ds22.

In terms of "being on the forum," they've all been active in the past day, except LIL, who last appeared on the 21st -- less than a week ago.

In terms of "moderating the forum," however, it's a little different. Segab last did something 3 months ago; LIL hasn't done anything in 1.5. Though that's just according to the moderation log, which doesn't record usage of the Visual Warning system. So they may have been less visibly active; I'd have to check other records.

tl;dr: Looks like 4/6. Could be more.

Quote from: Oizen™ on September 27, 2011, 02:49:31 AM

Rediculously annoying to find posts we delete.
Possible (temporary ?) solution : keep a copy of the deleted post before you delete it, then use the Serach function inside the Recycle Bin, with relevant pieces of said post.

QuoteWhen I had the time some weeks ago, I roamed a little around the sections, checked a few threads, found rule-breaking posts and reported them.
I didn't even need to be searching, I just randomly checked the most recent page in a thread and found them... then how come mods don't do anything about them or even notice all the spam?
All right. Comparison ? Let's compare our work then.

You : Roaming around the threads, finding rule-breaking stuff to report.

Me :
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.



I am NOT complaining about my "job" here. It's truly an everyday pride and joy for me to come here and help this place, even when it gets tough sometimes.
I'm just reminding you that Admins and also Global moderators have much more to do these days than "just roaming around the boards". So yeah, if you guys can help us to do all of this a bit more quickly, it would be a great help, really. It's easy to just roam around the boards, but we're not just doing easy stuff.

So please compare what is comparable.

***

Also, yeah, we're starting to look for something like 5-6 local mods to patroll around the threads where we don't have the time to go. That should help to provide a good "neighboorhood moderation" while we take care of the bigger stuff, and ease the contact with users
Round and round the signature goes ~
~ where it stops, nobody knows.

You left out collage and being a loving Bf XD
Kit's Youtube of Combos and Randomness
Also featuring a Deviantart page full of random images I make
Official FaceBook Page to get a hold of me, catch up with what I'm doing, or just like me!



Quote from: Miacis Ballard on September 27, 2011, 08:41:53 AM
- There are also some conflicts where I personnally have to solve myself when the two opposite sides are completely closed to conversation. And believe me, this is the kinda task that takes the most time.

I might have an idea of what you're talking about there. :x

Quote from: Miacis Ballard on September 27, 2011, 08:41:53 AM
- Taking care of awards.

Miacis, could you check your PMs please.

Quote from: cx_asuka on September 27, 2011, 03:57:42 AM
Sadly, not really.
Many people post spam as well as irrelevant and off-topic things all over the forum.
And because I feel like being dull, I'll say the most clear example is NaruZeldaMaster.

Oh, and there's the introductions sub-forum too, while some people post there to give an authentic welcome to new people, others post for the sake of posting and raising their post count...

You missed the part right under what you quoted.  ._.

Quote from: Gamma Ridley on September 26, 2011, 09:01:02 PM
That said, I think the main problem is people spamming it up in the On-Topic boards. We all know who that is. But there are other people who post meaningless comments like "Good :3" or "Smexy =D" or other nonsensical one-worded responses.

I agree with you, and I know it isn't perfect, because there are still people making those aforementioned one-worded posts just to boost their count.

But I still think it's an improvement on what it used to be. That's all.

September 27, 2011, 10:34:29 PM #999 Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 10:55:05 PM by SmashHackers
Quote from: Miacis Ballard on September 27, 2011, 08:41:53 AM
Possible (temporary ?) solution : keep a copy of the deleted post before you delete it, then use the Serach function inside the Recycle Bin, with relevant pieces of said post.
All right. Comparison ? Let's compare our work then.

You : Roaming around the threads, finding rule-breaking stuff to report.

Me :
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.



I am NOT complaining about my "job" here. It's truly an everyday pride and joy for me to come here and help this place, even when it gets tough sometimes.
I'm just reminding you that Admins and also Global moderators have much more to do these days than "just roaming around the boards". So yeah, if you guys can help us to do all of this a bit more quickly, it would be a great help, really. It's easy to just roam around the boards, but we're not just doing easy stuff.

So please compare what is comparable.

***

Also, yeah, we're starting to look for something like 5-6 local mods to patroll around the threads where we don't have the time to go. That should help to provide a good "neighboorhood moderation" while we take care of the bigger stuff, and ease the contact with users
What a hero. Although all of that doesnt sound too hard, just sounds like a long list. You also always have time for roaming/lurking and posting in the family thread so I really doubt there are any major difficulties in your job. And since supposedly most of the reports are from there, it's hard to believe you don't notice, since that's the board you frequent at most. Also I didnt make this but thought it fit in well here
[spoiler]

Quote from: SmashHackers on September 27, 2011, 10:34:29 PM
What a hero. Although all of that doesnt sound too hard, just sounds like a long list. You also always have time for roaming/lurking and posting in the family thread so I really doubt there are any major difficulties in your job. And since supposedly most of the reports are from there, it's hard to believe you don't notice, since that's the board you frequent at most. Also I didnt make this but thought it fit in well here
[spoiler]

So your hate really boils down to being butthurt about the existence of the family thread? Why bring up such an irrelevant detail?
Are we not allowed to enjoy the forum now?

Thats actually a lot of work believe it or not, especially for a forum thats nothing but a hobby.I honestly don't think you realize that there is nothing in this for us.
Theres no single way to do everything, and then there are people who seem to fight the staff for the sake of fighting power and nothing more. I mean the endless drama over something so stupid like post counts is a great example.

You guys take everything for granted.

Quote from: Oizen™ on September 27, 2011, 11:08:27 PM

So your hate really boils down to being butthurt about the existence of the family thread? Why bring up such an irrelevant detail?
Are we not allowed to enjoy the forum now?

Thats actually a lot of work believe it or not, especially for a forum thats nothing but a hobby.I honestly don't think you realize that there is nothing in this for us.
Theres no single way to do everything, and then there are people who seem to fight the staff for the sake of fighting power and nothing more. I mean the endless drama over something so stupid like post counts is a great example.

You guys take everything for granted.
What? How does this have anything to do with my hatred for the unneeded family thread that does nothing but cause drama and errors on the forums? Im simply stating that he really doesnt make it sound like much work running the place.

Quote from: SmashHackers on September 27, 2011, 11:18:49 PM
Im simply stating that he really doesnt make it sound like much work running the place.
If we had all day to spend doing this, then no, it would not be a lot of work.

But that's not the case.

Quote from: Vyse on September 27, 2011, 11:26:05 PM
If we had all day to spend doing this, then no, it would not be a lot of work.

But that's not the case.
True story bro. Maybe you should find more people then. People who dont basically complain about being overworked/brag about all the stuff they do then state that theyre not complaining. And yeah you Oizen. You do the most here. A true hero. I can't take your level of hero-ocity for granted. Other people may but you battle through all the leachers and people who take it for granted and pull through and maintain a large crowd of fans that respect all the work you do here. Good job.

Quote from: SmashHackers on September 27, 2011, 11:18:49 PM
What? How does this have anything to do with my hatred for the unneeded family thread that does nothing but cause drama and errors on the forums? Im simply stating that he really doesnt make it sound like much work running the place.
Oizen actually does going around warning people as a moderator so i think hes doing his job properly
besides its not like the family thread is going to kill you or something so why bother?
even if the family may disappear, the time we spent together will not...
Check out my DeviantArt:
http://sigufaira.deviantart.com/
Check out my Youtube too!: http://www.youtube.com/user/faira0496?feature=watch
3DS FC: 0559-7845-4582
other info:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

personas
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
[/spoiler]