Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: [VIDEO] Importing .OBJ files from sketchup  (Read 3603 times)
ForOhFor Error
Holy Kitten

DOG is your destiny

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Pin Collector Starstormer Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « on: September 19, 2011, 03:20:16 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffetwoym2zw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffetwoym2zw</a>

FC: 2191-7379-6272

ToddL
    Mega Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 09:25:11 PM »

After posting this in the comments of the Youtube video I realized that it would probably be more pertinent to put it here, instead.  Feel free to ignore the comment I posted on the Youtube video and respond here, instead.
    Anyway, on to my comment:

I've been wondering about this since I saw the new imported stages. Thank you very much for making this tutorial as I've been very interested in learning this process but wasn't really sure where to start. I have one question, though: Why not skip 3dsmax (and maybe Blender) and export the model as an .OBJ in Sketchup or Blender? To do it in sketchup you need pro, but I see the option in your Blender client right in the video. Is there something special that 3dsmax is bringing to the table?

ForOhFor Error
    Holy Kitten

DOG is your destiny

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 01:32:44 PM »

The obj importer is build to read obj files exported from 3ds max - they're slightly different from other programs' obj files, I guess.

ToddL
    Mega Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 07:35:14 PM »

Alrighty.

I've now finished the stage model that I want to import and have started trying to follow your process but I've run into a problem right off the bat: I export my model as a .KMZ, change it's extension to a zip, extract the zip, and open the contained .DAE file in Blender, but when I do this all I get in Blender is the 2D human character that is included in each Sketchup project by default.  I'm almost completely new to Sketchup and 3d modeling so I'm assuming that this is being caused by something that I did.  My guess is that I need to do something to my model in Sketchup to make it "finalized", per se, which is why the included 2d character is showing up but nothing I created is.

I've been poking around trying to figure it out and I'll keep on that, but just in case I don't figure it out, do you know what I might be doing wrong?
    Thanks

ForOhFor Error
    Holy Kitten

DOG is your destiny

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 04:28:34 AM »

Hmm. Try deleting the 2D human character in sketchup, selecting your entire model, and ding right click --> explode until you can't use explode anymore. Then reexport as a KMZ

ToddL
    Mega Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 09:33:19 AM »

So wait, since you can't save in BrawlBox 0.64d at all without corrupting the file, that means that you have to draw the collisions without having the textures applied, right? (since you need to save and re-open in order to view newly imported textures?)  How do you get around this?  It seems pretty much impossible to see the pure white (untextured) model on the white background of the collision editor.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I almost forgot!: Thanks for your solution to explode everything fully before exporting--I never would have thought to try that and it did fix the problem.

EDITEDIT:  hmmm, maybe if I import the model and textures into the older version of BrawlBox, save and re-open there, then open the file in 0.64d?  I need to get to work right now, but I'll try this out when I get back tonight.
    « Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 10:00:15 AM by toddtj » Logged

ForOhFor Error
    Holy Kitten

DOG is your destiny

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 01:27:47 PM »

Right click on the collision in 0.64d, click export. Collisions save (only themselves) every time you edit them, and you can export the fully updated version without saving the stage itself.

Also, you may have to recreate the collision to avoid freezing. But that's easier than it sounds.

ToddL
    Mega Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 12:04:46 AM »

When I try to save in BB0.63d (after importing the model) I get some of the following errors:

"Key not present in the given dictionary"

"Pointer startIndex and length do not refer to a valid string.  Parameter name: ptr"

"Value cannot be null.  Parameter name: key"

and then this error repeatedly:

"Attempted to read or write protected memory.  This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt."

Only one error shows up each time I try to save and after a couple of tries eventually only the last error shows up.

I went through the whole process twice to be sure I did everything correctly but I may have still missed something.  Any ideas?

EDIT: Also, unrelatedly related, do you know if there is any limit to the amount of detail (in a model) that Brawl can handle?  I know that each stage PAC has a file size limit, but other than that can Brawl handle anything that I import, even if the model is highly detailed?
    « Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 10:05:05 AM by toddtj » Logged

ForOhFor Error
    Holy Kitten

DOG is your destiny

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 05:45:59 PM »

No idea about either.

ForOhFor Error
    Holy Kitten

DOG is your destiny

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 08:53:25 PM »

Oh, just a note:
    1 meter = 15.5 units in brawlbox
    quite useful for collisions.

Jerza
    Extreme Kitten

FairyTail!!!

• Awards RAGE!! Hey! Listen!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 08:12:16 AM »

If I Have The Brres File Would What Should I Do Than ?

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: