WIP Workshop

Started by StarWaffle, January 15, 2012, 10:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Quote from: Velen on February 18, 2016, 03:55:05 PM
Quadrify's proper name is "Quadrangulate"

Depending on the model's topology though, it may or may not work very well. Only thing to do is give it a shot.

In 3ds max, it's quadrify mesh :|

what you'll have to do is select edge loops that you deem aren't necessary for both the model's topology and rigging.


Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

February 18, 2016, 04:32:00 PM #19711 Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:33:42 PM by Mareeo 64
Quote from: Large Leader on February 18, 2016, 04:21:10 PM
In 3ds max, it's quadrify mesh :|

what you'll have to do is select edge loops that you deem aren't necessary for both the model's topology and rigging.
edge loops meaning what exactly? I gotta get this right this time around.

Also, what's usually a good value to put in for the quadrify mesh?

February 18, 2016, 04:34:34 PM #19712 Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:37:11 PM by Moblin
Convert to Edit Poly (or place the modifier under your Skin modifier, but keep in mind this will jankify whatever verts you edit on your mesh's rig) > Graphite modeling tools (Google it, it is typically directly above your model editing window) > Quadrify (all)


Like Velen said, the topology will be slightly whack depending on the tris before you quadrify. You typically have to do a few repairs along the way. One thing I've noticed is that, some times, diamonds form in the topology and it messes up two separate loops, essentially connecting them. It's difficult to describe in words but if you understand topology/edge loops you will understand what I mean when you see it

Select the loops you wanna remove, hold control and click remove. ALWAYS hold control when removing loops. This will also delete all the verts that made up the loop you're deleting. You typically wanna remove loops that don't add too much geometric detail. Depending on the fidelity of the model, you'll also have to modify the position of your remaining loops, as well. You can select either edge or face under the "Constraints" option under the Edit Poly modifier tools. This makes it easier to move loops without messing up the silhouette of your model too much. Experiment with both because in my own experience they both work differently depending on the loop and surrounding edges/polys

Post Merge: February 18, 2016, 04:37:11 PM

Double post because [censored] IT

An edge loop is essentially a ring of edges that go around a model. This is more of a fundamental modeling topic so I would suggesy watching a couple tutorials on Youtube, specifically Arrimus' tuts on Topology. Having a solid understanding of fundamentals will help you immensely.

February 18, 2016, 04:48:54 PM #19713 Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 07:32:37 PM by Mareeo 64
Alright, now i get the basic idea. I'll mess with it a bit and see good ways to go about it from tutorials

EDIT: not sure why facepoints is still through the roof

Quote from: Mareeo 64 on February 18, 2016, 04:48:54 PM
Alright, now i get the basic idea. I'll mess with it a bit and see good ways to go about it from tutorials

EDIT: not sure why facepoints is still through the roof


How many edge loops did you remove?

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

You need to shave off more quads. Take off another 4k tris, weld all verts with a precision of 0.01 to collapse any overlapping verts, set your meshes to a single unified smoothing group (except for hard edges if there are any), check your UVs and make sure any and ALL overlapping verts within your UVs are welded.

Started my revamp of this guy.



From > 84K tris, I got him down by ~ 70k. I'm worried he'll lag or crash, but DSX8 think he'll work. What does everyone think? Should I keep on optimizing?

If you can shave off about 2k more quads you'd do a lot better, as it is now it will lag slightly with 4 in a match on certain stages

If you're cool with that though then you should be good, nice job btw that's a lot of optimizing

I trust you and DSX's judgement. It's BRAWL itself I don't trust. XP

Well, I'll try to shave off 2 more, I'll find something to do about FS eyes and the neck horn (not made yet)

It's Facepoints + Nodes that matter. Keep an eye on those.
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]

Okay. What are Ike's limits?

There is no per-character limit. It's a universal limit. Nodes are generally around 300+ for characters, while Facepoints can usually go up to around 17k.
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]

February 19, 2016, 01:05:57 AM #19722 Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 01:15:52 AM by Tabuu Forte Akugun
Okay. I'll run a test DAE through BB and check it out. Thanks, mate.

Edit: [censored]. 23132 facepoints.

Quote from: Tabuu Forte Akugun on February 19, 2016, 01:05:57 AM
Okay. I'll run a test DAE through BB and check it out. Thanks, mate.

Edit: [censored]. 23132 facepoints.
yeah, I'm having the same issue. But I can't really cut out too much more without losing needed geometry/shape

I weas pretty much forced to pro-oprimize some of Fredrik's parts. Got him down to 20K.