DAE Model Importing for Dummies

Started by BlackJax96, February 24, 2012, 02:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

That error happens every time, it's perfectly normal. This is mentioned on the first page on the instructions. As for the bones, that's not what Lucas's bones are supposed to look like. Here's a pic of Lucas's bones:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


I'm running 3DS Max 2012, and I think it's the student version. It works just fine for me, and I've finished a couple of imports already all using 3DS Max 2012. I'm using the 32x version, but I don't think that makes a difference. When I first downloaded 2012, it had some problems, so I downloaded this and everything worked:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17210608&linkID=9241178

I think I'm using the default dae plugin.

May 02, 2012, 09:07:48 PM #121 Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:09:23 PM by Segab
The error I get with 2012 isn't the same as the one in the op.

I installed 3dsmax 2010 and tried importing, and I get weird results.
First, I get an error window that looks much closer to the one in the op.
Then I get a weird fighting polygon team-esque Lucas.


Can you check if it really says Student Version at the top of the screen?

I'll try to install the 32x version and see if it changes anything.

What do you know, I DON'T have the student version. lol

I can't remember precisely where I got it, but I used thetorrentbay, and it took a long time to download the torrent for 2012. If you're gonna take the time to download another version, don't get 2012, everyone seems to recommend 2011 for Brawl hacking. I only use 2012 because it took forever to download it, and it works for me.

The error you linked to in your last post matches the one in the OP, but the one you currently have for 2010 is something I've never seen.

Walk me through everything you've done to get the model into 3DS Max. Maybe we can troubleshoot.

One last thing you can try: uninstall everything and then install either 2011 or 2010. I would think that having two versions installed would probably cause problems. I use Student Version 2010 x64 and it works perfectly for me.

burning questions? contact me at bjelkiers.tumblr.com

May 03, 2012, 12:39:07 AM #124 Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 01:28:24 AM by Segab
Quote from: FaIIenKing on May 02, 2012, 11:49:32 PM
Walk me through everything you've done to get the model into 3DS Max. Maybe we can troubleshoot.
alright, I'll explain from the beginning.

I downloaded BrawlBox 0.65b, and FitLucas00.pac from here.
I extracted the dae from the pac (with and without weighted normals, I tried both).
I went in the Import menu in 3ds max 2012 x64 Student version, selected the dae, made the same options as in the op, but when I hit ok it crashes every time.
So I downloaded this.
Now it lets me get past the OK, but I get this error like I said on last page and I only see bones shaped like a cross.

So I downloaded 3ds max 2010 64bits/32bits Student version.
When I import the same .dae I get this error and Lucas looks like this.

Now I uninstalled 3ds max 2012 x64, reinstalled it, but the results were still the same.

Then I installed the 32bit version of 2012 since you said that's what you are using.
It froze like the 64bit version. I downloaded the FBX thing for the 32bit version, tried again, and got the cross shaped bones. So 32bit or not, it's the same thing.

It would help me if you (or anyone) could send me a working dae.. I could confirm if it's the dae the problem or the software.

Quote from: ExorcistRain on May 03, 2012, 12:25:11 AM
One last thing you can try: uninstall everything and then install either 2011 or 2010. I would think that having two versions installed would probably cause problems. I use Student Version 2010 x64 and it works perfectly for me.
alright, that's an idea, thanks

edit: nope, no luck :/

May 03, 2012, 03:36:10 AM #125 Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 03:37:50 AM by FaIIenKing
Here ya go: http://www.mediafire.com/?d5aakrcok3mv5d2

I've confirmed that it imports on my 3DS Max. If I had to guess, I'd say that it's most likely a problem with your 3DS Max, not your dae. The only difference between our versions would be that I don't have the student version, but that shouldn't make a difference so I dunno.

The "baked into TRS" error that you first described is the same error I get every time, and it's the same one mentioned in the OP. That error is supposed to happen as far as I know. I don't know why you'd get the cross-shaped bones though. I don't know about that other error though.

Have you tried to download the service pack that I linked to earlier? That solved my problems when I was having a hard time rigging.

There's a bug: Lucas looks like Tails :P

The import works with 3ds max 2010


With 3ds max 2012 well.. I get the big weird error, then this:


and yes I installed it
I guess for now I have to rely on someone to give me the dae files...
I'll compile a random character as a test tomorrow and see if everything else works with 2010.

May 03, 2012, 05:46:36 AM #127 Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 05:47:57 AM by FaIIenKing
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it. I just grabbed a random pac file from my SD card, exported the dae, tested it on 3DS Max, then gave it to you. I didn't wanna download the original Lucas dae, since you only need his bones to do an import.

You're going to have to delete Tails's polygons, and the bones left behind would be the same as if I'd given you the original dae.

When trying to delete Tails' tails in 3ds max 2010, the skeleton would go away with it.
But not in 2012, so I worked with 2012.

I ported Veigar from League of Legends on Lucas, rigged it (didn't bother with the fingers for now) and exported it. It was almost too easy.

Everything seems to work, except the texture. What do I do now? It's not written in the op.

When I first spawned:


When I respawned after 1 death:


In BrawlBox when I preview the model, it's textured properly but looks dark.

Try importing all the textures in CMPR format. and changing all the non-metal materials to Cull None.

I had that same/similar problem getting Little Mac to work, that fixed my problem.

You have to mess with the textures a little. Amy V1 had the same problem. Also, when importing to BBox, make sure "Remap Materials" isn't checked.


Quote from: CaptainBoygos on May 06, 2012, 02:50:08 AM
You have to mess with the textures a little. Amy V1 had the same problem. Also, when importing to BBox, make sure "Remap Materials" isn't checked.

Yeah, that one too :P


Dear god Brawl hacking is easy now. Back in my days...
I'm gonna work some more on the rig now that I know everything works.

Thanks guys!


Quote from: Segab on May 03, 2012, 05:37:09 AMThere's a bug: Lucas looks like Tails :P The import works with 3ds max 2010 With 3ds max 2012 well.. I get the big weird error, then this: and yes I installed it I guess for now I have to rely on someone to give me the dae files... I'll compile a random character as a test tomorrow and see if everything else works with 2010.

How did you fix that?
I´m having the same error with 3ds max 2010 and 2011.
I downloaded the service packs and the plugin from the op.
But always If I try to import my dae´s I get the same errors you got.

Please help