DAE Model Importing for Dummies

Started by BlackJax96, February 24, 2012, 02:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

I have become completely lost as of step 3. I am new to 3ds max though but it just becomes gibberish to me at that point. Are their videos to show the steps or something cause I honestly don't know what to do next.
~Swift Red

Step 3 is alinging and editing the model to fit the bones. If the model is too small, scale it bigger, and if the arms are down, vertex them so they are straight in a t-pose.
If you still are confused, then post a picture of your model with the bones and I could try to help you more.

burning questions? contact me at bjelkiers.tumblr.com

May 23, 2012, 03:24:28 AM #152 Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 02:59:57 PM by toonlink444
Quote from: DemonBoy on May 21, 2012, 11:17:26 PM
well you could always just drag the textures onto the object
That's not working ethier
Edit: Fixed it. It was an install error

Post Merge: May 23, 2012, 02:59:57 PM

Ummm brawlbox merged all my textures into one. I assigned each texture to a material in 3ds max but BB merges them into one texture called programs. What can I do to fix it.
Click Sig For My Tutorial Thread

I'm Just You're Friendly Forum Pseudo Narcissist
[spoiler]
Quote from: Ricky (Br3) on June 25, 2014, 06:40:22 PM
[white]This is Nyan. She He is indeed random and also definitely not a pervert.
I Will Accept Everyone's Faults As Long As They're Not Annoying.

May 23, 2012, 07:45:39 PM #153 Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 07:51:25 PM by Swift Red
Quote from: ExorcistRain on May 22, 2012, 11:06:11 PM
Step 3 is alinging and editing the model to fit the bones. If the model is too small, scale it bigger, and if the arms are down, vertex them so they are straight in a t-pose.
If you still are confused, then post a picture of your model with the bones and I could try to help you more.
Ok, I am not entirely sure how to vertex my hack. The hack I am making is glaceon over pikachu.
https://picasaweb.google.com/102389237570270173272/3DSMax2010#5745818174613497410
Not quite sure what or how to do from here.
~Swift Red

^ The link doesn't seem to work for me. Glaceon over Pikachu sounds pretty tough, since Pikachu has a different bone structure than other Brawl characters (or so I assume; I've never imported over Pikachu yet). I'd recommend you put that project on hold, and maybe start with an easier import over one of the more human-shaped characters (Ike, Marth, Ganondorf, Link, Falcon, Pit, etc.).

If you can get a working picture, I'll try to help.

May 24, 2012, 01:13:10 AM #155 Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:15:50 AM by Swift Red
Quote from: FallenKing on May 23, 2012, 11:04:13 PM
^ The link doesn't seem to work for me. Glaceon over Pikachu sounds pretty tough, since Pikachu has a different bone structure than other Brawl characters (or so I assume; I've never imported over Pikachu yet). I'd recommend you put that project on hold, and maybe start with an easier import over one of the more human-shaped characters (Ike, Marth, Ganondorf, Link, Falcon, Pit, etc.).

If you can get a working picture, I'll try to help.



If it is to difficult to start off with then I may switch to something else. (Uploaded to imageshack this time.)
~Swift Red

Like FallenKing said, you should switch to a different project. Glaceon not only doesn't fit with Pikachu's bones, rigging over Pikachu is really hard.

burning questions? contact me at bjelkiers.tumblr.com

I put the glaceon project on hold but I am still stuck at this part of the tutorial. (Shown below) Maybe it is because there aren't any pictures for reference but I become really lost at this part. I do have the script and know how to use it but after that part I don't know where to go next.

3) Now open this script and drag it into 3ds Max.
Check "Bitmap" and then click DETACH.
In order to reduce MDL0 file size later on,
- click each object that has a different texture name,
- add an edit poly modifier,
- scroll down and click attach,
- and then select another object with the same texture in its name.
Attach any other objects individually the same way and then repeat for other objects with a different texture in their name. This process will make sure that there's exactly one object per texture.
~Swift Red

Hmm, tbh I never actually noticed those instructions till now, lol. The only thing that I do at that step is everything up to the "... then click DETATCH" part. I never do the rest of the steps mentioned; I just move on to the next part of the tutorial. I've successfully done 17 imports like this without any problems.

Let somebody else explain this since I don't fully understand what it's supposed to do or how it helps either, but if you're really impatient, just do what I did. After you click "detach" on the script, simply ignore the next few steps and move on to the next section. You should be able to do the import just fine.

I've created a monster.......



But at least it is playable.

Was suppose to be Sophie from Tales of Graces f.

~Swift Red

Hey, it's a start. My first import looked very similar to that.

Looks like you haven't learned to apply the textures yet. Get yourself an image editor like paint.net or Gimp and resize all the textures so the max height and/or weight is 256. For example: if you have a huge picture with height 510 and width 256, resize only the height to 256 and the width should automatically resize itself to match. If the size proportions are 256 or lower, leave it alone.

Next, delete the default texture folders on Brawlbox. Import the model's textures that you just resized. You'll import most of them in the CMPR format. If one of the textures doesn't show up correctly, show us a pic or something or pm someone with a download link and we'll easily fix it up for ya. The textures are easy to do; the rigging is the most difficult part.

It took me like 2 weeks before I successfully finished my first full import. Nowadays however, If I really wanted something done, I can finish an import in about 2 days. It gets much easier, so just keep trying, and don't hesitate to ask for help or pm someone for help when you get stuck (if you're new and you don't get stuck somewhere, you're some kinda freak). Good luck!

Thank you, I really appreciate all the help. :D

Here are some brawl box pics with textures.




The textures look like they are in place. (Except for the body) I had to resize the body.

If you need me to send the hack then let me know.

~Swift Red

My model import shows up into brawlbox fine and everything with its texture but doesn't load in game

Wait just realize I never resized my textures though still shows up in brawl box.  Would this keep it from loading ingame?  Mean while ill go fix that

For the two of you having texture problems, do the textures also show up properly on 3DS? It's possible you forgot to drag the png files into 3DS Max. If this isn't the case, you can send me the max, texture, and PAC/pcs files and I'll try to fix it up for ya.

Quote from: FallenKing on May 25, 2012, 12:28:48 PM
For the two of you having texture problems, do the textures also show up properly on 3DS? It's possible you forgot to drag the png files into 3DS Max. If this isn't the case, you can send me the max, texture, and PAC/pcs files and I'll try to fix it up for ya.

problem solved yea it was the size fixed right after i made my post lol MORE of the real problem here weighting is beeing a bothersome for this character.  I thought you can pick the bone then you select the vertices.  But when I do thsi it changes to a bone I dont even want.