A Bloody Canadian's PSA Thread - Shinda Remake

Started by ABloodyCanadian, December 12, 2012, 08:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

I'm at an attempt to get back to Brawl Modding!

Yay!
Boo!
Who are you?
Quote from: JamietheAuraUser on February 25, 2013, 05:14:56 PM
See, in my opinion the initial is pretty cool as is. If it were made to link better into the rest of the attack (change the knockback angles at individual points on the hitboxes so that hit enemies are pulled in more effectively, no matter when in the spin they're caught), and possibly given a slight range increase (they're guns, after all), it would actually work very well. It'd be neat to be able to hit enemies at a diagonal.

May I suggest a slight increase in knockback growth for the handguns in general? Her range isn't quite long enough to justify not being able to KO easily until 150%. Her Smashes especially could use the boost, and Down Smash could stand to have increased base knockback by just a little bit.
Also, Down Air's hitboxes are annoyingly vague, making it hard to connect. Either it needs bullets like all of her specials, or maybe your new gunshot GFX for the non-projectile moves will help identify the hitbox placement.

This, this is good advice. The initial is really cool indeed, and I wouldn't want to remove that either, just have it activate differently to make sure you don't have such a hard time capturing opponents in the FS.
I also agree on adding ranged bullets to her down air. I very much agree to that. No really, this is the one move that absolutely needs those bullets.
You Never Know!

Watching the progress video, I can't help but think that Aerial Side Special's attack needs to not have Samus abruptly stop in midair, since it feels awkward and makes it harder to connect. If she kept her aerial momentum for the Side Special's attack initiation hit, it would make it easier to connect and make it flow better. You can do the momentum cancel on-hit for the rest of the move to connect properly. It would flow better, be easier to hit with, and also make her less open to counter-attack, which is critical for someone as light-weight as Gunslinger Samus.

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
"We're the Mythbusters, we blow **** up." -- Adam Savage

"No, the solution is not to make a gatling gun out of bazookas."

February 25, 2013, 08:58:24 PM #212 Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 08:59:36 PM by A Bloody Canadian
About the Final Smash, Initially, the range was longer than what you have because I felt like it was too long, but now I'm getting things like "It's too short!" So I guess I better find a happy medium for that.

Now for the side special attack, I thought it'd be interesting to have some sort of risk/reward thing going on. The risk being going to the helpless state if used, the reward being more horizontal distance and deal damage (about 20% with the Machine Gun). Also I felt like it'd be pointless to give the attack more distance than you would if you didn't do it, then that would kill the risk/reward portion of the Side Special. I'll take this into consideration though. I think I should mention that you can still interrupt the aerial side special with an aerial attack. You just have to time it a bit later.

I don't mind giving her Handgun more Knockback Growth. After playing it for a while I see the need for a buff up.

I don't see anything wrong with going into helpless fall from Side Special's attack, only with the way she stops in midair to execute it, which leaves her sitting duck to anything up to and including Ike's side smash. Basically, the main dash from sideB would give her actual distance, then gravity would kick in again for the attack portion. Because the cancel is so early into the move, you'd still get less distance if you use it and miss, and you'd still be helpless afterwards. If you don't want to change the momentum, may I suggest finding some believable way to increase the hitbox size a little? Either one of the two would do wonders for the general utility of the move. After all, she goes into helpless fall even when it hits, doesn't she? So you aren't gonna start a chain with it.

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
"We're the Mythbusters, we blow **** up." -- Adam Savage

"No, the solution is not to make a gatling gun out of bazookas."

Quote from: A Bloody Canadian on February 25, 2013, 08:58:24 PM
About the Final Smash, Initially, the range was longer than what you have because I felt like it was too long, but now I'm getting things like "It's too short!" So I guess I better find a happy medium for that.

BOOM, head-shot! XD
You Never Know!

Quote from: JamietheAuraUser on February 25, 2013, 09:24:16 PM
If you don't want to change the momentum, may I suggest finding some believable way to increase the hitbox size a little? Either one of the two would do wonders for the general utility of the move. After all, she goes into helpless fall even when it hits, doesn't she? So you aren't gonna start a chain with it.

I guess that'll do.

Quote from: zutox on February 25, 2013, 09:28:13 PM
BOOM, head-shot! XD

Back on topic you...

I'm sorry, I was trying to make a funny.
Anyways.
I am guessing you are planning on making her FS cancel out if she doesn't connect it at startup?
It would kinda suck having to watch it if you didn't hit anyone with it. The question might be silly, but I think it's better I ask it than wonder.
Also, about her..hmm, Down smash I think it was, where she rolls and elbow strikes.
I think it would be fitting if she finished with a single gunshot after the elbow had sent the opponent flying slightly, not talking big, just about as long as her normal attack range is. Just for better flow in gameplay.
The same with the side smash, finishing with one or two shots. I'm not saying it's a must, but I think it would fit in well with her overall gameplay.

By the way, have you heard anything more about her model?

I was thinking about the gfx you made for the gun and I am wondering if there is any way to make it smaller, like, at least 5 times as small.  That would look much more appealing because the gfx wouldn't look like the gun exploded :)
You Never Know!

1). Yes, the Final Smash Cancels if the initial hit misses.

2). Seeing her elbow strike is news to me... lol

3). Haven't really gotten much of an update from Mikuru...

4). I can make it smaller.

@Zutox: Down Smash, as far as I can tell, is actually a pair of gunshots/fire bursts. First is low on both sides, second is gangsta-style with the gun held under her arm. And Forward Smash is definitely a gun combo.

And yeah, I'll second that point on decreasing the size of the GFX. Also moving it closer to the edge of the barrel, since right now it goes off about half-way up the gun.

On a related note, please at least acknowledge our comments regarding DAir. If you don't have anything to say about it, that's fine, but we need to know that you listened!

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
"We're the Mythbusters, we blow **** up." -- Adam Savage

"No, the solution is not to make a gatling gun out of bazookas."

I listened all right, and I've increased it's range. Not by alot, but I hope it's enough.

Wow I can't believe I saw so wrongly <..< My apologies ABC, my eyes are playing tricks on me.
I am pleased to hear you added some range on her  Dair.
About the gfx, I think it will look pretty nifty once it is reduced in size and plaed longer down on her gun. I guess at the moment I don't have much else to say regarding it. Will there be more demos before your v1 release, or will you wait till you get that far?
You Never Know!

I don't plan any more demos in the future. This 3rd one came to me as a Surprise actually.

yea that demo was pretty solid so im definitly hyped for v1 all we need now is some RoF imports

February 26, 2013, 02:40:43 AM #223 Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 03:08:15 AM by A Bloody Canadian
I would like RoF Imports actually... Leanne 1st!




But anyway, thanks for all the feedback! It'll be useful when the initial release comes out... Though we only have 1 thing missing...




Running tests on the Final Smash, and a following trend I'm seeing is that the Starfox Characters (save for Falco) could easily escape the Final Smash due to how fast they fall. I only managed to KO 2/3 Wolves and 1/3 Foxes... To those of you wondering, I've increased the range of the initial hit, so getting 3 players caught in it shouldn't be much of a problem anymore... unless your opponents happen to be Fox or Wolf.

unfortunatley i havent found any models around so someone would have to rip em