Mortimer's Thread - Wandering

Started by Mortimer, July 29, 2013, 09:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

What do you think about this Koopa psa? Should I release it?

Yeah, sure.  
18 (81.8%)
I would give a try.
3 (13.6%)
The psa seems decent, but the character is not that interesting.
0 (0%)
I like the character, but the psa is not what I expected.
1 (4.5%)
No, I definitely don't care about this character neither any psa related to it.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 22

I just tried you psa. It made my game die.. So I tried again, and my game froze again. So I thought that perhaps it was another character that caused to freeze, so I started a match with only the Koopatroopa. A few seconds in and my game froze again. I am still not quite sure what move or action is causing the freeze.
You Never Know!

You mean it freezes without you doing anything? I just got that by using the green team costume. Funny because no one else seems to be having that problem.
So, it freezes before the stage loads, after/during the entry animation, after you move, or is it just that random?

Quote from: Mortimer on March 17, 2015, 03:04:25 PM
You mean it freezes without you doing anything? I just got that by using the green team costume. Funny because no one else seems to be having that problem.
So, it freezes before the stage loads, after/during the entry animation, after you move, or is it just that random?

I tried him and tried to narrow it down. He makes my game freeze when I do side B in air. Tried it with several costumes but I get the freeze on all of them.
You Never Know!

That's odd. There's no reason I can see to make that happen. What if you do it on ground, and then go into mid-air by falling offthe ledge?

March 18, 2015, 11:19:20 PM #214 Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 11:20:58 PM by zutox
I am now getting the freeze when doing side B, both on ground and in air.  Also, side B froze in air on the old kTroopa before he was updated to ktroopa-2. After the update he freezes on side be on ground as well.
You Never Know!

I just fixed a issue with the side taunt, nothing else. So, when it freezes, you get the freeze instantly when you execute the move, or just after he is fully retreated in the shell?

Ins
Quote from: Mortimer on March 18, 2015, 11:27:02 PM
I just fixed a issue with the side taunt, nothing else. So, when it freezes, you get the freeze instantly when you execute the move, or just after he is fully retreated in the shell?

Instantly. It looks like he is about to jump and then it freezes.
You Never Know!

Alright. I found just one thing that may be causing that but I still see no reason for a game freeze. I'll give you a new pac file later today and I really hope it's the solution.

I think I waited enough already, so I gotta say a few things.
As I said before, I never expected this psa to be famous, and that don't bother me at all. What I found most disappointing was the people who voted saying "yes, release". Still, I had an odd feeling this could happen, but I did release it more for the youtube people.
I'm talking about despite my warnings about balacing and despite I have said I didn't test it enough, I've got no suggestions about anything. To me, that's worse than saying "I don't want it", because like this, you leave me blind to whatever I have to do to improve it. Besides, I already stated that my way of playing is way different from anyone else's. The version I release is always different than the one I use personally and has to be adjusted to match a bit more the community's style. In other words, seems like work for nothing. I said I was considering not releasing it to not let happen to it what happened to the final smashes, but it did. Again.
Now once again, thanks to Zutox, I "found" what appears to be the only another problem left that obviously I don't know if it's happening for everyone, but may prevent me of any future headaches. I hope it's working fine because I don't intend to update it again.

I'm unsure what I gonna do about my psas from now on. I'm not quitting, but most likely I won't announce generic characters like those ones here anymore to prevent this kind of thing. Or something I still don't know what to do, but things will be different.


March 24, 2015, 04:13:38 PM #219 Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 05:05:07 PM by Carnage
you cant expect the small comunity nowadays to make anything a sucess or alot of posts, you should do hacks for yourself not for the people, sharing them is just a gift.

There is very little people here nowadays so finding someone to test a hack and report back is much harder than back in the day, most people moved on to ssb4 or P:M so the vbrawl comunity is kinda small now.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

You seem upset..but from your post I can't actually quite figure out why @..@
You Never Know!

March 24, 2015, 06:21:39 PM #221 Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 02:18:09 PM by Draco
I was about to say what carnage said. If you're looking for feedback you'll have to look for other places with more active users. Apart from the people that make mods, most of the activity in these forums is made of people asking for help with BrawlEX or something else.

Right now the PM forums on SB are very active, but posting Brawl stuff there only makes sense when it's stages and things that aren't affected by PM's change of gameplay so IDK.

That said, here's some feedback. I honestly don't like that much giving feedback on mods because I always want things to be perfect and feel like I'm asking too much, but well. I'm playing this in Project M BTW so I'll try not to talk too much about the balance of the mod. Some of the issues here like Jigglypuff sounds being played may also be PM only but reporting them anyway:
- The model is too bright. It's also missing a proper shadow. And metal.
- When zooming in, for example in training mode, it seems that the camera wasn't adjusted for the character (it's too zoomed in).
- The sound that plays during the start of air forward+A should kick (no pun intended) later.
- The first frame on the landing recovery for air back+A doesn't transition very well into the rest (it's like the animation is skipping too many frames).
- Also talking about the landing animations, their effect don't fit the effects used by the other characters (circle of smoke puffs and all those).
- If I go frame by frame, down+B on the ground has a Jigglypuff sound effect. The bubbles also don't make much sense IMO. It also needs a powerful sound when hitting the ground with the Koopa shell.
- Air down-B is missing some sounds to make it feel less empty. It's also kinda difficult to tell that it's not an air normal. I don't know what kind of thing could be done to make it feel more like a special move though.
- Forward roll doesn't transition very well to the waiting stance.
- The double jump animation doesn't transition very well to the falling animation either. Same with the airdodge into the special fall animation.
- The smoke effect on air up-A seems a bit out of place. A "sword glow" effect similar to the one used by PM's Ganondorf in his up tilt would be better.
- Same for the fireworks effect on down-forward+A.
- The hitboxes of air neutral-A are kinda awkward. As in in some frames they are too low. The shockwave effect is also kinda out of place.
- Down smash remains active for too long.
- All charging smash are missing the yellow flashing effect. The character also doesn't shake while charging them.
- When grabbing a ledge, the "ledge grabbed" effect is in his head instead of in the hands.
- Koopa's left toe goes up on the crouching animation (not the idle one but the one that goes from standing to crouching).
- He can't move the cracker launcher. He doesn't properly grab the super scope either while charging and shooting.
- The transition of the object after a forward smash with a sword, star rod, etc isn't smooth.
- The hitboxes on those objects are also not properly placed.
- He puts the badges some distance from his left feet and doesn't put the bunny hood in his head.
- After tripping, he can go off-stage when rolling.
- IMO the blinking star on the up smash charging should be higher than his neck.
- When picking a FS ball he doesn't have FS eyes and some bones that shouldn't have the FS effect have it.
- The FS attacks are lacking some cool sound effects. Also I think that the blue shell should be more powerful since it's very difficult to hit the opponent with it.
- The sound of the cheep cheep on the random down smash doesn't end. I've also seen that happening on the random up tilt.
- Also I'm not a big fan of the random moves. I never know where to expect them and they end up breaking the game pace. I like the references though, especially the up smash, and the animations are cool.
- The download is missing CSPs, victory theme and all that stuff.

EDIT: the rumble also needs some work.

Quote from: Carnage on March 24, 2015, 04:13:38 PM
you cant expect the small comunity nowadays to make anything a sucess or alot of posts, you should do hacks for yourself not for the people, sharing them is just a gift.

I don't expect that much success. If I get 50-100-200-500 downloads, that not important. I'd rather have 20 downloads and 1 user doing like what Draco did above than 300 downloads and everyone staying quiet. Doing things for me is what I did so far. Like I said, the version I make for others is not the same.

Quote from: Carnage on March 24, 2015, 04:13:38 PM
There is very little people here nowadays so finding someone to test a hack and report back is much harder than back in the day, most people moved on to ssb4 or P:M so the vbrawl comunity is kinda small now.

Yep, I know that. But the lack of everything makes it look like a huge waste of time. I didn't notice how big p:m's community became, but that surely doesn't help me want to keep doing this.



Quote from: zutox on March 24, 2015, 06:05:14 PM
You seem upset..but from your post I can't actually quite figure out why @..@

Upset is not exactly the best word to describe it. More like tired I'd say. You see, I may get an alt/texture once every 20 pages of submissions because most don't please me. As for psas... like 1 every 2 years? To me, the Ridley that came out now is the only decent psa I've seen released since... maybe Gray Fox by EY. I don't even count on the possibility of downloading anything, which is the main reason I make my own.
Since I get basically nothing from this community, well... it's quite frustrating.


@draco
PM forums are activte, yes. I don't like PM, though, so making anything related to it is something I'm not doing. I really appreciate your feedback, but that probably won't change my mind. Several of the flaws you mentioned I knew about, but that's the problem. With no one saying anything, I don't know if they care about it, if the found them so ugly they don't even wanna hear about the psa anymore, or who knows what.
I usually don't fix those things because I always have other ideas I want to implement and I end up ignoring those.  :P Since you mentioned all of this, I'll polish it before updating. But commenting some things you listed:

Model too bright: I know that. With the texture map of koopa is impossible to improve the texture. Since I don't know how to mess with that, for now, that's a thing I cannot fix.
-
Shadow- One of the things I mentioned I don't know how much people care about.
-
Metal- Adding metal screws up wings' color for some reason. Never found out why.
-
Jigglypuff sounds and bubbles-I agree. My brother had already mentioned it's unfitting. Just that find those kind of souns around is very boring. I may use sounds from the other characters. And the bubbles, I just forgot of removing it lol.
-
Shell hitting the ground-This is a nice idea. I didn't think about it.
-
Air-down B-This one was a bit of a problem because it had to be a longer animation to make more physical sense, concerning the rope. But I didn't want make it different from the grounded version, and decided to leave it that way.
-
Air-up-Also agree with this, but the only sword glow I see that works for anyone is the blue trace from the beam sword, and I'm tired of it, it's already looking overused. Unfortunately, the only way to change that is if the character already have his own glow. I think at least.
-
Down-smash-Apparently, I didn't put a terminate collisions there. The collisions is ending with the animation.  :-X
-
Shaking animation during charges-By using brawlbox, you'll spend a week making each of shaking animations. No way that's going to happen. By using Maya, they may consume maybe more than 15kb per animation, and that's unacceptable for me.
-
Ledging grab graphic-Didn't notice that. Thanks.
-
Holding weapons-Still didn't figure out how to fix this. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.
-
Badges and bunny hood-Will be fixed.
-
Going off-stage when rolling-Didn't see this one also.
-
FS Eyes-I removed his FS eyes because I wanted to use the bones connected to them for another final smash. I decided for it too late, and I would have to fix way too many collisions and way too many graphics if I fixed this problem. And yea, some of the aura is actually in the bones of the rope he carries, but the rope is disabled so that's what happens. It can be fixed.
-
Blue ShellI expected complains for the red one. Neither I can control that. And I was afraid of letting it too powerful, but since you're the only one who mentioned it, I'll raise the power.
-
Endless sound-This one is weird. I've made both attacks hundreds of times and never occured such a thing with me.
-
Random moves-Once again, no way I can how many like/dislike. I can make a version with them disabled, would take me 5 minutes.
-
Csps and stuff-That's one of the few things I don't make because I don't have patience, and I'm not skilled with image editors either. Would be nice to have them, but just thinking about doing it makes me lazy.

Just to be clear, I'm not blaming anyone for this. I've been feeling like this since I joined here, and it had to happen someday.

i understand what you mean i stopped making hacks like a year ago too for the same reasons becuase i didnt do characters people hurge about, that means very few folowers, if you want a large user base for your hacks you need to compromize and  do stuff the community really wants but your not to keen about that is the sad truth, if you want ppublic you need to make characters you probably dont care about thats the deal.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

The PSAs that are made of characters not very much known or with a not very big fanbase are often those I appreciate most. I like to have under-appreciated characters in my brawl. I was hyped for the primid psa that just disappeared. I also use some original fan creations, as long as they are very well made I enjoy having them in my brawl.

I see a lot of lack of appreciation from players that use psas from psa makers, which is sad. I look at a character mod/psa as a piece of artwork, having gone through a lot of work and a lot of phases to get where it's at.
Honestly I actually watch the Ai fight against one another more than I play myself, simply because I can sit back and enjoy the work that was put into all those characters and getting to watch them go at it.

So as a player without the knowledge to make my own psas, I thank you for everything you psa creators are giving us :)
You Never Know!