Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 49
Author Topic: Project Mirage [The Project M-inspired recolor thread] (UPDATED: 27/02/2014)  (Read 233564 times)
bloop
Expert Kitten

View Profile Awards
« Reply #240 on: August 25, 2013, 11:06:32 PM »

Been lurking this thread for a while ever since Mars/Minty/Maritime was finished, and I appreciate you guys for picking up where we left off and continuing what me, Shun, Devicer, Apples, and others started... but as a fellow texture hacker, a lot of the stuff here is very hit/miss for me. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but I think colors and color placements should be chosen a bit more carefully, especially on certain characters like Bowser, the Pokemon, and Sonic, who have very few options. I like the directions that the people who made Snake, Pit, and Zelda took. The colors and placements they chose were very spot on. Those 3 look really nice and almost natural, as if they belong in the actual game. Others, well... not so much.

Again, just offering some constructive criticism to help you guys. I love me some good recolors, and were it not for me being so busy with my job, I'd definitely lend you guys a helping hand.
Thats what im sayin' -_- dis tread isn't as serious like the other.

Dio
Extreme Kitten

I will go beyond the borders of humanity!

• Awards Dedicated Hacker Favorite'd

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #241 on: August 25, 2013, 11:35:18 PM »

Thats what im sayin' -_- dis tread isn't as serious like the other.
    I was wondering why no one had posted a color guide which make the recolors alot easier.
    Most of these textures are good textures. They're just not good for PM I even feel my Mario is a tad shy. :/
    I will say that Squirtle and Fox are lacking these key components. As I tend to be an optimist with this project and the others as well, I feel progress is the key to making these better through trial and error and such.

I have noticed that feedback has been completely disregarded these last few pages. Not by all but by some.

Most people should keep in mind these are Recolors not Retexutres. Now, essentially they would mean the same thing but in this case it should go as follows;

A Recolor is recoloring of the characters ORIGINAL texture. Not addition of any outside images,words etc. (Though the putting the "PM" is part of the theme its not a have-to and some characters dont really need it in some cases. Other characters have special conditions such as Snake and Ness or any other character with an Accessory(Pika or Jiggs)

A Retexture is a complete replacement or heavily altering the models natural texture.
    (I.E: Putting logos, patterns, words, etc  on the texture.)
    A good example of a Retexture is the Diddy Kong and the Foxes and the aforementioned Squirtle.

This is how I see it should work for Project Mirage.
    I think the OP should be revised a bit. Put some Do's and Donts
    We should keep in mind we're going for Recolors not Retextures.
    And as I said, I really want this project to be as prestiges as is predecessors.
    « Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:39:51 PM by Kramerdorf » Logged

ShadowLuigi~NG~
    Lol Kitten

I make mods and mod accessories

• Awards Renowned Hacker Pin Collector Panic! Heart Container

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #242 on: August 25, 2013, 11:53:39 PM »

I was wondering why no one had posted a color guide which make the recolors alot easier.
    Most of these textures are good textures. They're just not good for PM I even feel my Mario is a tad shy. :/
    I will say that Squirtle and Fox are lacking these key components. As I tend to be an optimist with this project and the others as well, I feel progress is the key to making these better through trial and error and such.

I have noticed that feedback has been completely disregarded these last few pages. Not by all but by some.

Most people should keep in mind these are Recolors not Retexutres. Now, essentially they would mean the same thing but in this case it should go as follows;

A Recolor is recoloring of the characters ORIGINAL texture. Not addition of any outside images,words etc. (Though the putting the "PM" is part of the theme its not a have-to and some characters dont really need it in some cases. Other characters have special conditions such as Snake and Ness or any other character with an Accessory(Pika or Jiggs)

A Retexture is a complete replacement or heavily altering the models natural texture.
    (I.E: Putting logos, patterns, words, etc  on the texture.)
    A good example of a Retexture is the Diddy Kong and the Foxes and the aforementioned Squirtle.

This is how I see it should work for Project Mirage.
    I think the OP should be revised a bit. Put some Do's and Donts
    We should keep in mind we're going for Recolors not Retextures.
    And as I said, I really want this project to be as prestiges as is predecessors.

You've got every point except for color concept. Recently, including myself, there have been uploads focusing a lot more on a deep purple concept rather than blue. It's true that we are doing Recolors so it is fitting that the characters should have a set set color to use. For example, NoFun's Bowser has the perfect colors for PM as does Zelda and Snake. A grid design is not necessary  but it does fit for quite a few characters somewhere on the Brawl Roster. There should be a perfect balance color. It's not all that hard. It's prett much the best thing, as you stated, through trial and error to find what fits best with who.

Xenozoa425
    Extreme Kitten

• Awards >9000 Renowned Hacker Pin Collector Smash 3 Team

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #243 on: August 26, 2013, 12:01:50 AM »

Also wanted to point out, things like grids and patterns make sense on some characters like Snake, who would otherwise be stuck with spots, stripes, or nothing. For the UTCP, Apples gave him Minty honeycomb hexagons, I gave him Maritime bubbles, and Kramerdorf gave him Mars squares. There's nothing wrong with going the extra mile and adding things like logos and patterns, like a Project M shirt for Ness or Project M on C. Falcon's back, but there is a limit before it starts to look unnecessary.

Taiko
    Extreme Kitten

Taco++

• Awards Star Hacker >9000 Active Contributor Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #244 on: August 26, 2013, 12:05:26 AM »

I have to agree with Xenozoa, a lot of hit-or-miss ones in here.

I think the main thing I don't like is, by slapping the Project M logo on things, you're going against the character's design. I don't mean to offend anyone, but there are a few textures here that I think would be great if it wasn't for the Project M logo forcefully added on. You wouldn't ever see the SSB logo on a character if it was official, so I don't think the P:M logo works for the same reason.

Another thing is, I think that more studying of the original textures is needed for a lot of these. For example, Mirage Mario, how his gloves were quite dark. Brawl's Mario never has his gloves any colour other than white, so by making them dark, it's a bit too different to be...Mario. Little things like that can make a recolour more "believable" if that makes sense.

Dio
    Extreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #245 on: August 26, 2013, 12:29:31 AM »

I have to agree with Xenozoa, a lot of hit-or-miss ones in here.

I think the main thing I don't like is, by slapping the Project M logo on things, you're going against the character's design. I don't mean to offend anyone, but there are a few textures here that I think would be great if it wasn't for the Project M logo forcefully added on. You wouldn't ever see the SSB logo on a character if it was official, so I don't think the P:M logo works for the same reason.

Another thing is, I think that more studying of the original textures is needed for a lot of these. For example, Mirage Mario, how his gloves were quite dark. Brawl's Mario never has his gloves any colour other than white, so by making them dark, it's a bit too different to be...Mario. Little things like that can make a recolour more "believable" if that makes sense.
    This is true I also feel that I should make his hat matches his shirt rather than overalls. Since only the darkbrown/white Mario has his hat match his overalls. The reason I considered the gloves being a different color was due to Luigi's Fire color in Melee. Trying to go for something a bit more unconventional like that. But in the end I never got any feedback when I posted it. But it whatev, I didnt really like it, deep in my gut I thought it was wierd but I thought maybe others would like it. since thats not the case, I have more of a inclination to rework it.

I've been thinking of revamping him for a some time I never gotten around to it.
    I think we should restart this project. Or at least have the OP fixed but I think the person who created this thread will MIA for a time. :/
    « Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 12:37:44 AM by Kramerdorf » Logged

ShadowLuigi~NG~
    Lol Kitten

« Reply #246 on: August 26, 2013, 12:41:12 AM »

I've already started to revamp my Bowser, the grid on the shell is there but not very distracting nor does it cancel out the original design. The main problem is mostly the fact that I focused too much on purple and the hair is a bit dark. In any case, I'll leave DK as he is until I hear some complaints about him. For the most part, my characters have stayed true to minimal Retexturing and trying to mach the original concepts of the characters.

Dio
    Extreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #247 on: August 26, 2013, 12:51:20 AM »

I'll continue to bang around alternate P:Mario concepts in my head.

Mansta8
    Lol Kitten

• Awards Stack Smash Team Favorite'd Famous Hacker Ceiling Cat

« Reply #248 on: August 26, 2013, 02:54:09 AM »

I might re-do my Luigi and Toon Link based on the feedback on the thread, the only real reason why I did so much to the original textures is because recoloring characters is sometimes way too simple for me to do. So I said "hey, if we're slapping the PM logo on these I might as well challenge myself a bit to add some designs to this."

ShadowLuigi~NG~
    Lol Kitten

« Reply #249 on: August 26, 2013, 04:56:25 AM »

Here's Bowser with a few subtle changes. I'll add larger changes depending on the feedback.

OLD

NEW

I might re-do my Luigi and Toon Link based on the feedback on the thread, the only real reason why I did so much to the original textures is because recoloring characters is sometimes way too simple for me to do. So I said "hey, if we're slapping the PM logo on these I might as well challenge myself a bit to add some designs to this."

I think Toon Link is great but the cap could be left as one solid color.

Nezha B. Rose
    Guardian of Pokemon Mods
    Special Access

I got a bucket of chicken.

• Awards Smash 3 Team RAGE!! Active Contributor Fiery Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #250 on: August 26, 2013, 05:45:34 AM »

hmm... I believe I shall wait with my stages until the official color palette is posted here, I find it difficult to decor a stage without knowing the correct coloring. Besides, Characters here are on a higher priority than stages, so I'll wait until there is some progress.

I understood what Xenozoa425 said, I believe I might start recoloring my first character ever. Charizard. I saw and played as Maritime, Minty and Mars Charizard to get the main idea. I don't know how character recolor works, but if the same principle of making stages, I got it covered. And since they mentioned that Zelda was spot on, I will use her as my guide through coloring until the pallet is posted.

Purpa(Rage83)
    Expert Kitten

• Awards Featured Active Contributor

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #251 on: August 26, 2013, 05:51:39 AM »

Hey Kramerdorf! Mirage Melee Mario?

As for Bowser, I think that the grid pattern would work well in a grayish color on his spike chains.
    (the spikey things on his neck and arms)

Taiko
    Extreme Kitten

Taco++

• Awards Star Hacker >9000 Active Contributor Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #252 on: August 26, 2013, 07:10:21 AM »

Here's Bowser with a few subtle changes. I'll add larger changes depending on the feedback.

OLD

NEW

I'll try to pop in every now and then to give feedback then, since it seems some people didn't get any.

I'm not sure if I like the grid, it seems like it's so faint it wouldn't make a difference if it wasn't there. I'd say see how it looks without it? I'm also not really a fan of the black tips on the spikes on his shell, they look unfitting to me.

As for the colours themselves, I think the purple could be slightly brighter, as it feels like the whole thing is a bit too dark currently. The white edges on his shell might look better a bit brighter, same thing with the bottom of his shell. The arm ring things I think should be a different colour (white would work) to contrast with his skin, as they blend in a bit too much currently.
    I'm basing all this off looking at Bowser's vBrawl 05 costume, since it's got a similar skin tone. Don't be afraid to mess around with adding blues as well!

Xenozoa425
    Extreme Kitten

• Awards >9000 Renowned Hacker Pin Collector Smash 3 Team

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #253 on: August 26, 2013, 07:56:03 AM »

Bowser definitely needs his shell to be the primary color, since it's his most distinguishing feature and is on screen throughout the entire match, and it could definitely use some saturation and brightening up. I know that BrawlBox makes it look darker than it really is, so be generous and don't go overboard making it too bright. I also think the black tipped spikes are a bit too much.

I've always been picky on skin color, especially on the face since it looks really weird if it isn't done right, but I would try to go for a medium/medium-dark grey. His hair is also really hard to choose imo, but I think a yellow/orange would go nicer than black or white. And like Taiko said, the arm bands should probably be different color so it can contrast the skin better.

bloop
    Expert Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #254 on: August 26, 2013, 09:07:37 AM »

I don't feel like contrubiting because once I start... feel like ill be needing to do the whole entire cast. -_-
    But what happened to nofun? He was doing a really good job actually.

Pages:  1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 49
    Print
    Jump to: