The Smash 3 Project - Get Your DLC Early

Started by Taiko, October 01, 2013, 03:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Quote from: Shun_One on April 26, 2014, 01:05:14 AM
a quick fix for you till we release Link's update.

I appreciate the professionalism, but don't worry about it. I'll just wait like the rest of the folks.

QuoteFor a quick patch, re-encode his textures to CMPR.

I actually assumed that they already were. Thanks for the heads up.


Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I've gotta say that I definitely like your new goal and approach with this project.

However, I've also gotta say that your new logo looks kinda boring. The old one was better. More vibrant, distinct and appealing. It made me interested and curious just from looking at it alone, while this one just makes me think "...Meh".

That's just personal preference, though. XD Keep up the good work, guys.


I like the new logo... oh an thnx again for ur feedback on mine!

I have mixed feelings about this change in direction.

From the get-go the thing I admired most about this project was the fact that it abandoned Smash oriented designs in favor of Nintendo's traditional designs. I appreciated this a lot because it resonated very strongly with my own ambitions for this game; to fix the mistakes Sakurai made.

However, with Smash 4 Sakurai is fixing many of those visual mistakes, so I can't say I'm that disappointed in the long run. However, I feel it's worth warning you guys that Nintendo's style should still take precedence over anything Smash puts forth. Perhaps not when it comes to the texture of the image, but the color and perhaps even the model.

Some examples:
- Making Marth's shoulder guards the ones from Smash 4 had no basis in anything Fire Emblem
- Captain Falcon's colors were clearly based on his Smash incarnations, not his F-Zero appearances
- Ness is the worst offender; there was no regard at all for his Nintendo style, just his Smash style.

Branding this as a "Nintendo" oriented project was somewhat misleading from the beginning; as things progressed, it became very obvious to me that this was just a redux of Smash, not Nintendo. This opinion is largely fueled by my almost obnoxious obsession with making Smash more focused on canon material, but I think I make a good case; I think it's a big mistake to simply emulate Sakurai's work. I feel it seriously reduces the uniqueness of the project.

Lastly, the "3" in the new logo looks awful, lol. Otherwise it's good, haha.

I want to make it absolutely clear that at the end of the day I'm still absolutely in love with this project, and I'm still committed to using 90% of the material produced as a base for my own work. I only mean to point out that pandering to Sakurai might, in many cases, be rather misguided.

Keep up the great work; I'm eager to see what you guys do with this new style. Don't take this critique all that seriously, just do whatever you feel works. I'll be following this no matter what, haha.

Super Smash Brothers: All Stars is currently looking for new recruits!
SSB:AS is a project dedicated to filling Project M with as much canon material as possible. The aim is to cram the game with movesets, textures, stages, and easter-eggs which accurately reflect each character's abilities from their respective franchises. If you are a relatively skilled hacker with an interest in helping achieve this concept, please visit the official thread by clicking on the banner, or contact me via private message. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We need:
Skilled animators, Advanced PSA specialists, Coders for Special Attacks, Proficient Modelers/Importers, Adept Stage Makers, Graphic Artists for Menus/Portraits, Play-Testers and Glitch-Finders!

*All applicants must come equipped with their own pair of nostalgia goggles

April 26, 2014, 02:46:09 PM #499 Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 01:10:07 AM by NinfanNanz
Well that's just dandy. If you guys are switching directions, what am i supposed to do with this?  :notimp:


http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=203392

Sorry for anything that looks bad. Hope you enjoy. :kdance:
Also, Kinda like the direction, but then it just feels kinda like the Vibrant project which is still awesome. Well, We'll see with new textures.

It's great that your reworking the textures to make them more consistent than they should be. Since your "Moderndiseing" the characters in there Smash 4 incarnation, will you be including the Smash 4 CSPs by any chance? I think it would be awesome.

Opinions on the new logo are interesting, I'm wondering what exactly you two don't like about it? It'd help us fix it, I personally hated the shape of the old one which is why I redid it.

Quote from: Amarythe on April 26, 2014, 02:33:35 PM
I have mixed feelings about this change in direction.

From the get-go the thing I admired most about this project was the fact that it abandoned Smash oriented designs in favor of Nintendo's traditional designs. I appreciated this a lot because it resonated very strongly with my own ambitions for this game; to fix the mistakes Sakurai made.

However, with Smash 4 Sakurai is fixing many of those visual mistakes, so I can't say I'm that disappointed in the long run. However, I feel it's worth warning you guys that Nintendo's style should still take precedence over anything Smash puts forth. Perhaps not when it comes to the texture of the image, but the color and perhaps even the model.

Some examples:
- Making Marth's shoulder guards the ones from Smash 4 had no basis in anything Fire Emblem
- Captain Falcon's colors were clearly based on his Smash incarnations, not his F-Zero appearances
- Ness is the worst offender; there was no regard at all for his Nintendo style, just his Smash style.

Branding this as a "Nintendo" oriented project was somewhat misleading from the beginning; as things progressed, it became very obvious to me that this was just a redux of Smash, not Nintendo. This opinion is largely fueled by my almost obnoxious obsession with making Smash more focused on canon material, but I think I make a good case; I think it's a big mistake to simply emulate Sakurai's work. I feel it seriously reduces the uniqueness of the project.
Thanks for the comments. It was more for a consistency reason that we went with it, since as the project went on it felt more like some characters were extremely simple while other characters were at a weird mid point between. That said, all of this has helped us realize the massive amount of work Sakurai's team puts into making everything look consistent, it's a hard thing to balance!

As for the designs being more oriented to Smash, we were still making them for Smash after all. Some characters ended up having textures closer to their original design, but for the most part we went with Smash's designs since we thought they were more interesting. Smash 4's Marth's darker armor for example helps address the monotone appearance to his design, we really liked that about it, and the classic style Falchion is probably his more unique and known Falchion design which is why we didn't go 100% with his FE12 design.

Falcon's was to help his blue costume stand out. It is a reference to his original appearance after all.

Ness' Smash appearance is oddly more true to his original concept than Earthbound's ingame sprite, for stylistic reasons. And purple looks weird on pants.

Quote from: NinfanNanz on April 26, 2014, 02:46:09 PM
Well that's just dandy. If you guys are switching directions, what am i supposed to do with this?  :notimp:


http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=203392

Sorry for anything that looks bad. Hope you enjoy. :kdance:
Also, Kinda like the direction, but then it just feels kinda like the Vibrant project which is still awesome. Well, We'll see with new textures.
Don't worry! We won't be releasing a Marth update for a while, we wanted to fix a few things with him. It shouldn't be too difficult to update, especially since we'll have the recolour PSDs ready this time as well.

Quote from: RoboticCyborg on April 26, 2014, 02:59:18 PM
It's great that your reworking the textures to make them more consistent than they should be. Since your "Moderndiseing" the characters in there Smash 4 incarnation, will you be including the Smash 4 CSPs by any chance? I think it would be awesome.
We won't, because then characters not returning will look really out of place. We're not that good at rendering! And for poses, we'll do what we've done up until now, whatever we think looks good.

April 26, 2014, 03:58:47 PM #502 Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 03:59:50 PM by NinfanNanz
Quote from: Taiko on April 26, 2014, 03:44:07 PM
Opinions on the new logo are interesting, I'm wondering what exactly you two don't like about it? It'd help us fix it, I personally hated the shape of the old one which is why I redid it.
I get the smash 4-esque feeling you are trying to get at, but the 3 just seems really out of place in my opinion.
Quote from: Taiko on April 26, 2014, 03:44:07 PM
Don't worry! We won't be releasing a Marth update for a while, we wanted to fix a few things with him. It shouldn't be too difficult to update, especially since we'll have the recolour PSDs ready this time as well.
Well, that's nice. I just have to make another one for the new release of Marth from you guys. Anyway, I can't wait to see what you have in store for us.

Quote from: Taiko on April 26, 2014, 03:44:07 PM
Opinions on the new logo are interesting, I'm wondering what exactly you two don't like about it?
It's that 3. It's simplistic and uninspired, haha. The lack of a border around it makes it look unfitting. The rest of the logo is perfect tho.

Quote from: Taiko on April 26, 2014, 03:44:07 PM
And purple looks weird on pants.
I said blurple!

Super Smash Brothers: All Stars is currently looking for new recruits!
SSB:AS is a project dedicated to filling Project M with as much canon material as possible. The aim is to cram the game with movesets, textures, stages, and easter-eggs which accurately reflect each character's abilities from their respective franchises. If you are a relatively skilled hacker with an interest in helping achieve this concept, please visit the official thread by clicking on the banner, or contact me via private message. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We need:
Skilled animators, Advanced PSA specialists, Coders for Special Attacks, Proficient Modelers/Importers, Adept Stage Makers, Graphic Artists for Menus/Portraits, Play-Testers and Glitch-Finders!

*All applicants must come equipped with their own pair of nostalgia goggles

Quote from: Taiko on April 26, 2014, 03:44:07 PM
Opinions on the new logo are interesting, I'm wondering what exactly you two don't like about it? It'd help us fix it, I personally hated the shape of the old one which is why I redid it.

I pretty much said the gist of it for me. The old 3 looked much more sleek, smooth and appealing and had a really cool style to it, as did the letters.

This new logo just looks like Smash 4's "Super Smash Bros." with a very strangely shaped three with a bland design and not very interesting shade of color. Not nearly as inspiring.

But again, personal preferences: They differ.


I saw those pics of Kirby, Yoshi and Wario and I must ask: will you release the remaining character's textures with this new style and then the older ones, or will you re-release the ones posted until now before the missing ones?

Will you do new textures for "Project M" special colors, like "Armored Mewtwo"? (I'm sure you'll do a fine job with that one).

Quote from: Halcreix on April 26, 2014, 11:51:49 PM
Will you do new textures for "Project M" special colors, like "Armored Mewtwo"? (I'm sure you'll do a fine job with that one).
Read the FAQ on the first page.
NNID: Cha0sKnight     3DS FC: 4768-7680-2509

Quote from: Scout on April 26, 2014, 01:38:28 AM
Wario? Wario!
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Looks like it was ripped straight from Smash 4! Amazing!

I feel like his eyes need a little work though to make them look more empty in the center (idk though you be the judge)

-if and when you redo and finish Peach's new textures. I'd like to have them so I can do some things with them.

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

April 27, 2014, 06:34:08 PM #509 Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 06:38:00 PM by Scout
Quote from: andalsoandy on April 27, 2014, 05:17:36 PM
Looks like it was ripped straight from Smash 4! Amazing!

I feel like his eyes need a little work though to make them look more empty in the center (idk though you be the judge)

Actually, I decided to make Wario as close to his most recent appearance as possible... and that appearance is Mario Kart 8:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


His eyes are almost exactly the same as this one:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


The only clear difference is the saturation of the textures that the characters in smash 4 contains.