The Brawl Expansion Project

Started by PhantomWings, January 01, 2014, 05:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Quote from: SUPAHSAWNIK99 on March 10, 2015, 07:47:25 PM
Okay, so, I have been adding costumes to my characters using files from something similar to the BrawlEx engine, and I'm just now getting repeated crashes after trying to add a new costume for Mewtwo, which I used the Clone Engine to add into my mod, which isn't Project M. It crashes on the Stage Select anytime I do ANYTHING after I tried adding that costume. It's not the costume, though...
So, I came here looking for answers. So, what the heck did I do wrong?

Just from my experience, given that it's freezing at the stage select screen it could be a few different issues. Is it freezing upon entering the Stage Select Screen or after selecting a stage? Is it a silent freeze or the 'BUZZ OF DEATH' freeze?

If it's after selecting a stage, the silent freeze would indicate something is missing, whereas the death buzz sound would indicate that something is loading incorrectly.

For additional costumes, make sure that you're including new Battle Portraits and Result Screen Portraits in their respective positions on the SD card (BP's would be causing the freeze if they're missing or the wrong size). It shouldn't be due to custom icons or names in-battle if the other costumes have been working till that point, so make sure the BP's InfFace for the portrait is done correctly

Alternatively, it could be that there's something that's been set incorrectly. If the new costume is appearing on your CSP then that should mean you have your fighter and CSSSlot configs correctly edited., but give them a check just in case.

When you say do ANYTHING, does that mean it's freezing for other characters, (eg If you select Mario against DK), or just that new Mewtwo costume? Maybe the issue is with the costume itself not working - it might not be compatible with the moveset

tl:dr - Check the new files you put in were named and made correctly, check your fighter and CSSSlot configs to see if they include the new costume, make sure you've got a BP and RSP, check if it's compatible with the moveset.

Hopefully that helps. If not, sorry for wasting your time
"You need a reason to fight. But it cannot be an ideal. If you fight for ideals, the only thing you can save are ideals. There is no way you can save people" - Archer, Fate Stay/Night (Unlimited Blade Works)

You know, in a weird sense, Brawl Modding has saved my life. So thank you to everyone involved in this community! :kdance:

March 11, 2015, 11:14:39 AM #7921 Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:15:45 AM by WTVelocity
I just tried to run this (the 2GB pack). When selecting Goku and Random, or Goku and Mario, it freezes when I select a stage. Also IDR if it's supposed to be this way or not, but none of the stage icons on the list is modded.

I'll try downloading the larger pack seeing if another SD card I have will work for Smash, but if it doesn't, any ideas? extracted all of the files to a new SD card. Thanks!

Lead Developer of Brawl Revamped Project
Brawl Revamped

Quote from: WTVelocity on March 11, 2015, 11:14:39 AM
I just tried to run this (the 2GB pack). When selecting Goku and Random, or Goku and Mario, it freezes when I select a stage. Also IDR if it's supposed to be this way or not, but none of the stage icons on the list is modded.

I'll try downloading the larger pack seeing if another SD card I have will work for Smash, but if it doesn't, any ideas? extracted all of the files to a new SD card. Thanks!

You're either missing the Battle Portraits for Goku or (in case if you didn't make him have proper ones) the character's module is corrupted.

Also, make sure you have all the needed files.
Before someone attacks me:
No, I won't say/accept the term "American" to refer exclusively to people or things from the United States.
America is a continent and deal with it.
I'm an American, but not necessarily from the U.S.

Quote from: Super tails srb2 fan on March 10, 2015, 11:23:17 AM
Use the V 2.0.0.X version, they said it would try and load Char_bust tex files from an actual char_bust_tex folder in BrawlEx.


Basically you'll just have to read the readme file and you'll have pretty much infinite CSP

In case you want to see it before you go to the trouble of setting it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uczvjrKrKR8

It's really not in a usable state imo.

Quote from: secretchaos1 on March 12, 2015, 12:18:43 AM
In case you want to see it before you go to the trouble of setting it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uczvjrKrKR8

It's really not in a usable state imo.

Yeah I couldn't get it to work right. Ended up just changing the size of all my CSP's from 128x160 to 100x125 - took about an hour as I have a LOT of them.

Thanks anyway though!
"You need a reason to fight. But it cannot be an ideal. If you fight for ideals, the only thing you can save are ideals. There is no way you can save people" - Archer, Fate Stay/Night (Unlimited Blade Works)

You know, in a weird sense, Brawl Modding has saved my life. So thank you to everyone involved in this community! :kdance:

※Sorry, I don't speak English.

Is there a possibility that BrawlEx Clone Engine will correspond to Riivolution in the future?

I've been getting crashes when starting a game with a brawlex clone selected via the css after previous games using the base fighter selected via the css without having selected or played against the brawlex clone getting (iirc) something like a file not found error for gfx.  I don't have a lot of brawlex fighters and the crash is annoying, could I just force the character select routine that loads data into memory for each of the clones upon entering a css?

Quote from: Mawootad on March 13, 2015, 02:02:39 AM
I've been getting crashes when starting a game with a brawlex clone selected via the css after previous games using the base fighter selected via the css without having selected or played against the brawlex clone getting (iirc) something like a file not found error for gfx.  I don't have a lot of brawlex fighters and the crash is annoying, could I just force the character select routine that loads data into memory for each of the clones upon entering a css?
i think u gotta exit the css roster every time after a match if u r sharing gfx
that is why i dont use special effect files gfx for my packs

Quote from: Don Jon BravoEX on March 13, 2015, 02:49:47 AM
i think u gotta exit the css roster every time after a match if u r sharing gfx
that is why i dont use special effect files gfx for my packs

I think I get the same thing happening to me as the other guy.
How do you ensure you're not using the special effects gfx? Like what pac are they in? I love my characters but the constant crashing is a little annoying
"You need a reason to fight. But it cannot be an ideal. If you fight for ideals, the only thing you can save are ideals. There is no way you can save people" - Archer, Fate Stay/Night (Unlimited Blade Works)

You know, in a weird sense, Brawl Modding has saved my life. So thank you to everyone involved in this community! :kdance:

Quote from: Don Jon BravoEX on March 13, 2015, 02:49:47 AM
i think u gotta exit the css roster every time after a match if u r sharing gfx
that is why i dont use special effect files gfx for my packs

The game shouldn't crash if the character's share gfx files, it'll just load whichever's ef file was loaded first, which is why we now port the gfx files to enemies and such to prevent it from happening (meaning you don't have to back out of the CSS every match). It's a bit time consuming but well worth it. Most PSAs now a days come with a PSA that is already ported as well.
When I used PSAs that weren't ported in the past, I never got a crash, just incorrectly loaded external gfx when two characters that used the same ef file were loaded.

Quote from: itman on March 13, 2015, 03:00:31 PM
The game shouldn't crash if the character's share gfx files, it'll just load whichever's ef file was loaded first, which is why we now port the gfx files to enemies and such to prevent it from happening (meaning you don't have to back out of the CSS every match). It's a bit time consuming but well worth it. Most PSAs now a days come with a PSA that is already ported as well.
When I used PSAs that weren't ported in the past, I never got a crash, just incorrectly loaded external gfx when two characters that used the same ef file were loaded.

This makes much more sense. Can you steer us in the direction of a tutorial of how to do this? I think a few of the ones I'm using are older and it may be nice to have the gfx work consistently all the time without having to exit the CSS
"You need a reason to fight. But it cannot be an ideal. If you fight for ideals, the only thing you can save are ideals. There is no way you can save people" - Archer, Fate Stay/Night (Unlimited Blade Works)

You know, in a weird sense, Brawl Modding has saved my life. So thank you to everyone involved in this community! :kdance:

Quote from: Persona-Aya on March 13, 2015, 11:22:04 PM
This makes much more sense. Can you steer us in the direction of a tutorial of how to do this? I think a few of the ones I'm using are older and it may be nice to have the gfx work consistently all the time without having to exit the CSS

Here is the only tutorial I know about it on the vault: http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=66856.0

But...it's outdated, there is a much easier way to do it (it's discussed in the posts, but not in full).

I'll try explaining as best as I can.

First off, here is a list of all of the enemies that can be ported over (there are more enemies, but only these specific ones can be used. Visit this link for all of the ef files: http://pastebin.com/hac63s9f)

-Enemies-
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


So, open the PSA you want to port (not the FitMotion, open the moveset) in brawlbox, and you should see this:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


See where it says "ef_mario"? Or in your case, whichever ef file your PSA is currently using. You are going to rename that to the ef file you want to use from my list above. I'll do the first one, ef_kuribo. And then open the ef file afterwards and rename the REFF (the red) and the REFT (the blue) as well. I don't know if that second part is necessary, but I do it just in case.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


Okay, woot, halfway done!

Take note of the hex code of the enemy ef file you are using (in our case, referencing the list above, ef_kuribo is hex code 7D)
Now, close brawlbox, and open your moveset in PSA.

What you are going to need to do is go through the subactions, and find where the old ef file is referenced, and change it to our new one. If you follow the link I put above to all of the ef files, you can see all of the character's ef files as well (such as Mario's, Ike's, etc...). In my example, since I used a Mario PSA, all of the ef_file references in the PSA will be called to ef file "1". I want to change that to reference "7D", which is our new one, kuribo. How do we do that?
There are two things we are looking for:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


Anytime you see an External Graphic call, it's worth checking out. If the file goes to the original character's file, we want to change it. To know, we need to look at the file ID. This is what I see when I double click the external graphic from my example picture above, and then click the "graphic" tab:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


In this next image, I circled the only numbers we care about (the first four):
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


It says "0001", which is ef_file 1...which is Mario's. I want to change that "0001" to "007D" to be kuribo's. So...that's all there is to it.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


For the "terminate graphic effect", do the same exact thing. I know the tabs have no names, but you do it in the first tab, exactly like the external graphic. Remember though, only change it if it's referencing the old ef file. If the external graphic file loads ef file "0000" for example, that is okay, since that is the common one.

So once you change all of those to your new ef file, your character will be ported. To test it, play your character -- you should notice no change/difference -- that means you did it right, and the ef files will no longer conflict.
My advice for finding all of the external graphic calls is to look at the ef file in brawlbox, and see which graphics are used for which attacks. This way, you can go to those subactions and easily change the values. Of course, there might be hidden ones all over the place (and they aren't all necessarily in the gfx tabs), and it IS time consuming, but it's worth it. Once you get the hang of it, you can start knocking them out pretty quickly.

Articles require one extra step (like some Doc PSA's pills), I'll try to post again really soon with the extra step, but for most PSAs this isn't an issue. I hope this helps!

itman i know you said only those enemys could be used but what about the assist trophys can they be used?
quote from Nepgear: i can do many things, just nothing particularly well.

Quote from: leondanny56 on March 15, 2015, 01:59:55 AM
itman i know you said only those enemys could be used but what about the assist trophys can they be used?

Yes. As well as SSE Stages.

Quote from: Tabuu Forte Akugun on March 15, 2015, 02:04:33 AM
Yes. As well as SSE Stages.

thats good because i plan for my pac to have over 100 characters, so i wasn't sure if there were enough enemys, but thanks to you telling me that i can add assist trophys and sse stages to it, i now know there should probably be enough.

quote from Nepgear: i can do many things, just nothing particularly well.