Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mewtwo2000's stage hacker tips: Wrong textures in imported stages  (Read 3205 times)
Mewtwo2000
The Stage Master
Special Access

Making stages since 2010

• Awards Former PMDT King for a Day Ceiling Cat Featured

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « on: June 08, 2010, 05:17:15 AM »

Hi there, new tutorial to help those who don't know why some things are happening to their stages. Some of you are importing models from other games, or even from other parts of the game, and then they are not showing correctly in game. You see everything's right in brawlbox, so you can't figure out what's going on.

This is a simple guide to use palleted textures.

As you may know, there are many types of textures. You could classify them in palleted and not palleted. The not palleted ones are simple, you get your texture, your stage, and everything's okay. But the palleted ones have a pallete, and the models using that texture need to know that the texture is palleted, and even the name of the pallete they're using.

As an example, I've got Kwark's Coconut mall to show you the problem and the solution. Imagine you've imported a stage, or model, or something. Go to the textures folder to find this:

A whole bunch of palletes. That means that the models in the stage have to know about them. So, we go to the imported model. Imagine we want to see if the ef_rainbow texture is known by the model. We need to go to the model and find the textures1 folder inside it. We will find this:

ef_Dushboard is the material name. ef_rainbow is the texture. But as you can see, the decaltexture value to the right is blank. This is not okay. ef_rainbow is a palleted texture, so there should be something in there. If not, the stage will load another NOT PALLETED texture instead. So, we have to write the pallete name:

And by repeating this for every palleted texture in the model, it would be done.

There's an easier way if you want. The problem is having palleted textures and models not knowing it. So, we can export every palleted texture...

And import it as a different type of texture, like RGB5A3 or CMPR.

Now that the texture is not palleted, it won't be causing trouble anymore. And you didn't need to touch anything in your model.

So remember, the first thing to check out when having trouble with textures, is checking which ones are using palletes, and make the thing you prefer. Importing them again as not-palleted, or telling the model which pallete needs to use.

I hope this helps xD

« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 05:19:58 AM by Mewtwo2000 » Logged

SW FC: SW-5958-4724-5095
    Wii FC: 1247-2259-6207
    Twitch: http://twitch.tv/mewtwo2000
    Visit my stage thread here

Stage light and fog tutorial
    Stage shadows tutorial

MyKewl
    Mega Kitten

Ø "My future is righteousness." - Bob Marley Ø

• Awards Hot Topic