Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Discussion: Specular Maps.  (Read 4191 times)
Velen
Resident Lucario
Boss Kitten

Insert totally self gratifying [censored] here. ; )

• Awards Famous Hacker Sniper Heart Container Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « on: December 18, 2012, 12:20:06 AM »

I was thinking about what I saw in the WIP thread in Model Imports, and it got me thinking about the Specular Map that Captain Falcon has....It made me wonder: could we possibly implement the same thing onto other characters?

Say for example we have a costume of Mario in rubber trousers or something. Maybe we could ad something similar to Captain Falcon's Specular Map to that as an effect?

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

Spex130
    Holy Kitten

So very Spexcellent.

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Starstormer Hyperactive Contributor Renowned Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 03:30:05 PM »

Actually, it's pretty common practice to use the materials of characters on other characters.

Even the Metal Sonic you and Nanobuds did is like this.

Samus's Armor Materials and Falcon's suit's materials both use Spec maps, so they're both really useful. Samus's has two stages for shininess, and Falcon has just one.

BlackJax96
    Brawl Mod God
    Boss Kitten

• Awards KCMM Veteran Sniper King for a Day Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 03:31:21 PM »

I already told you it's a piece of cake pie. The cake is a lie

Velen
    Resident Lucario
    Boss Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 07:06:40 PM »

I don't think you guys really understand the purpose of discussing this. This isn't purely about shine and stuff. This is about doing things beyond adding metallic sheen using Spec Maps.

For example, using them to add more subtle details such as metallic grain, frog skin, snake skin, the list goes on.

That's why I brought Captain Falcon's Spec Map up in the first place: what could we do using C.Falcon's spec map as an example in order to enhance previously made hacks as well as new ones?

_Data_Drain_
    Master of the Dark Matter
    Heroic Kitten

• Awards 2012 SSBB Tournament Runner-Up Fiery Topic Good Citizen Ceiling Cat

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 07:34:03 PM »

I don't think you guys really understand the purpose of discussing this. This isn't purely about shine and stuff. This is about doing things beyond adding metallic sheen using Spec Maps.

For example, using them to add more subtle details such as metallic grain, frog skin, snake skin, the list goes on.

That's why I brought Captain Falcon's Spec Map up in the first place: what could we do using C.Falcon's spec map as an example in order to enhance previously made hacks as well as new ones?
    Yeah, this could be interesting.

Say for example. You want to make a lizard like character... Using this. You could make his scales shiny faintly, with a bit of a bumpmap as well. So it would pop out a slight bit. Depending on the angle of the camera.

In other words... Using this. You can make SUPER detailed hacks... I think this is worth looking into.

3DS FC: 1762-2823-8581

Wii-U ID: Data-Drain Mii Name: Jiro

SMM Stages: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Data-Drain

BlackJax96
    Brawl Mod God
    Boss Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 11:34:47 PM »

I don't really see anything discussion worthy. :/
    Just go out and do it?
    It's really, not. that. hard.

Just use the same shader and material and then create a similar overlay texture like CF's clothing spec map using the original texture. In photoshop you can just blend something like scales or whatever over the spec map.

Velen
    Resident Lucario
    Boss Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 11:59:10 PM »

I don't really see anything discussion worthy. :/
    Just go out and do it?
    It's really, not. that. hard.

Just use the same shader and material and then create a similar overlay texture like CF's clothing spec map using the original texture. In photoshop you can just blend something like scales or whatever over the spec map.

That's because you're not thinking in creative terms. They may seem simple to you, but this could be a bit of a game changer. Most people use the Specs from Samus or similar characters. Making and using Spec Maps like C.Falcons can add a whole new dimension to things in Brawl.

BlackJax96
    Brawl Mod God
    Boss Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 04:31:20 PM »

That's because you're not thinking in creative terms. They may seem simple to you, but this could be a bit of a game changer. Most people use the Specs from Samus or similar characters. Making and using Spec Maps like C.Falcons can add a whole new dimension to things in Brawl.

"BJ doesn't see how doing Spec Maps on character imports could add new dimension to shiny outfits."
    I don't think you understand where I'm coming from. Yes, I DO think it could be used to make awesome effects for new characters.
    So don't sit around talking about it, do it!

I've already shown an example of a "game changing" shader/material setup before, so I guess I'll just do it again with CF's shader.

Here's the files if you want to see what I changed.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/svhte1hmjwgmgqo/ZSS%20specular.rar

« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 04:34:04 PM by BlackJax96 » Logged

Eternal Yoshi
    Heroic Kitten

Boss? Is that you?

• Awards KCMM Old Timer Super Saiyan Topic Active Contributor Former PMDT

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 04:54:33 PM »

That is the exact type of specular mapping Simon will need. Excellent stuff.

Velen
    Resident Lucario
    Boss Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 05:43:34 PM »

"BJ doesn't see how doing Spec Maps on character imports could add new dimension to shiny outfits."
    I don't think you understand where I'm coming from. Yes, I DO think it could be used to make awesome effects for new characters.
    So don't sit around talking about it, do it!

I've already shown an example of a "game changing" shader/material setup before, so I guess I'll just do it again with CF's shader.

Here's the files if you want to see what I changed.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/svhte1hmjwgmgqo/ZSS%20specular.rar

I just tried to download it and Google Chrome gave me an error. Use Mediafire or send it via MSN?

Pik
    Holy Kitten

i like the way you die boi

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Starstormer Former PMDT

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 05:47:58 PM »

Cool, but I don't think ZSS's suit has the same bumpy leather material that Falcon's has- Hers looks more smooth.

Oh, and for the record, this could be used to make really awesome hair. (I'm surprised Brawl didn't do that in the first place)

[PICTURE REMOVED. Reason: Total signature pic size exceeds 695x200.]

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: