Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could we get a "Project M certified" stamp of some sort on BrawlVault offerings?  (Read 11437 times)
Double D.
Hyper Kitten

--Temet Nosce--

• Awards Hot Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « on: April 20, 2014, 10:55:43 AM »

Perhaps in the area where Link, Profile, RSS Feed and so on, maybe a stamp or designation letting everyone know that the accompanying hack is fully compatible with Project M?

Or hell, to make it even more efficient, a stamp letting us know what "version" of Brawl it was created on and all the different versions the hack should be compatible with?

--Death Before Dishonor--

"The absence of wrath, is an impediment to utilizing your true strength..."

Segtendo
    Local Marie Fanboy
    Special Access

Cold queen

• Awards Starstormer PC Core Gamer 128-bit Core Gamer Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 11:35:23 AM »

wat
    Almost any hack that works in vBrawl can work in P:M.

: SW-2632-7270-6724

Eternal Yoshi
    Heroic Kitten

Boss? Is that you?

• Awards KCMM Old Timer Super Saiyan Topic Active Contributor Former PMDT

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 02:11:05 PM »

wat
    Almost any hack that works in vBrawl can work in P:M.
    Not exactly.

PM has character specific codes, codes that require certain extra cosmetics in certain areas and files, and has a slightly different variable usage system meaning anything that would rock the boat(Specifically certain character PSAs, Costume Hacks and Models that disable bones and Cosmetic Assets that don't use PM's version of said asset as a base ) is almost guaranteed to malfunction and/or crash.
    « Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 02:13:31 PM by Eternal Yoshi » Logged

Double D.
    Hyper Kitten

--Temet Nosce--

• Awards Hot Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 02:16:23 PM »

Not exactly.

PM has character specific codes, codes that require certain extra cosmetics in certain areas and files, and has a slightly different variable usage system meaning anything that would rock the boat(Specifically certain character PSAs, Costume Hacks and Models that disable bones and Cosmetic Assets that don't use PM's version of said asset as a base ) is almost guaranteed to malfunction and/or crash.

This guy gets it. I made the post because I fell victim to exactly what he's talking about. I downloaded a Sonic vertex hack that's supposed to have him look like the Smash U version and it gave me a silent freeze, amongst other hacks that I tried and failed.

Large Leader
    I'm shocked I'm allowed to still have this.
    Angel Kitten

• Awards Renowned Hacker Diamond in the Rough Active Contributor Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 03:00:55 PM »

If it's just a random vertex hack, then it was probably because it exceeded the file size limit.

That can also happen with vBrawl mods as well

Quote from: Miacis
    In other words, LURK MORE.
    Quote from: LC-DDM
    In other news, birds fly, sun shines, fishes swim, and the sky is [censored]ing BLUE.
    Quote from: Miacis
    3. ... You seriously don't know who Clinton is?
    Quote from: Haseyo
    If only hacking Brawl paid bills.
    Quote from: Nanobuds
    O snap
    Quote from: DrPanda
    But you are in a Smash Bros. thread.
    You can't have an opinion here.

Velen
    Resident Lucario
    Boss Kitten

Insert totally self gratifying [censored] here. ; )

• Awards Famous Hacker Sniper Heart Container Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 03:14:03 PM »

-and exactly who would go through the vault and apply these stamps?

For that matter, the average modder on this site doesn't know what to look for when it comes to making hacks work in Project M. Short of a tutorial or two or three, nobody is going to know either.

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

Eternal Yoshi
    Heroic Kitten

Boss? Is that you?

• Awards KCMM Old Timer Super Saiyan Topic Active Contributor Former PMDT

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 04:03:18 PM »

Just add a icon to the vault warning users if it isn't PM compatible that the ULer would specify. IT can be done similarly to the Wifi Desynch icon.

If any existing hack isn't compatible, just report it and it will be up to the ULer to put the notification up.

SJS
    Clastic Sandtastic
    Brawl Vault Staff

• Awards The Gentlepin Hyperactive Contributor >9000 Hey! Listen!

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 04:42:45 PM »

Sounds like a coal waste if time. Just assume a hack was made for vBrawl unless the description says otherwise.

Look at my CSPs. While you're at it, come and help fix some broken hacks.. Don't stop! Check out LSTeam's cBliss recolor project.

Dr.
    Hyper Kitten

Hi stranger, you look good ;D

• Awards Featured Fiery Topic Dedicated Hacker Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 05:08:30 PM »

Just add a icon to the vault warning users if it isn't PM compatible that the ULer would specify. IT can be done similarly to the Wifi Desynch icon.

If any existing hack isn't compatible, just report it and it will be up to the ULer to put the notification up.

In my opinion, this wouldn't be a suitable solution.

There's 3 options for Wifi Desync:
    Yes (it desyncs)
    No (it doesn't)
    Unknown (Online play effects are unknown)

We can predict if a hack is going to desync in WiFi. If the bone structure was modified in someway, if a completely different moveset (PSA) and animations were added; these things desync online play. We've known these things for a while now.

If what EternalYoshi says it's true we can't predict if a hack made for vBrawl would work with Project:M unless we test it (something I'm not personally eager to do).

We can't tell how the game would react. Maybe it'll freeze when lucario and mewtwo are in the same match but not otherwise.
    I might be exaggerating a little bit on that last sentence but the fact is:
    If the final user has to test for compatibility ultimately, why even implement this function in the first place?

Sounds like a coal waste if time. Just assume a hack was made for vBrawl unless the description says otherwise.

Basically this^.
    « Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 05:10:40 PM by Dr. » Logged

Double D.
    Hyper Kitten

--Temet Nosce--

• Awards Hot Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 05:47:01 PM »

I'm not saying that the good folks that run and maintenance BrawlVault to go in THEMSELVES and determine what version of Brawl each and every minute hack can/can't manage, but a simpler solution like maybe in a future update to BrawlVault..whether its a cosmetic update or a routine maintenance, add an area in the options for a user when they upload their hack that designated what version the hack is/isn't compatible with.

It would then be up to the previous hack uploaders themselves to determine if they want to go in and update their posts or not, but at least the new guys can come in and place their hack in whatever category since it will already be built into the uploading interface

Segtendo
    Local Marie Fanboy
    Special Access

Cold queen

• Awards Starstormer PC Core Gamer 128-bit Core Gamer Super Saiyan Topic

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 10:33:42 PM »

Not exactly.
    Hense why I said "almost any."
    I'm with ya.

: SW-2632-7270-6724

Kyouma
    Heroic Kitten

• Awards Star Hacker Renowned Hacker Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 12:34:31 AM »

even if it that stamp was made, just look at the wi fi option, people doesnt even care about it.
    I think it would be kinda the same (apart from the fact that people actually puts on a hack's titel "P.M -etc-"

Miacis
    Ex-admin
    Special Access

• Awards Ceiling Cat 128-bit Core Gamer Featured 64-bit Core Gamer

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 10:39:32 AM »

I'm going to echo SJS's sentiment here. If a stamp like that is introduced, it'll have to be used by the whole userbase, and they'll all need to learn exactly what does and doesn't work properly in P:M.
    Unless the PMBR decides to release an exhaustive list of what kinds of mods will and won't work with their fancy codeset, knowing what works basically amounts to testing it on P:M directly. So to know what requires the marker, you'd most likely need to be using P:M yourself.

There are definitely more content creators on the Vault than there are P:M users downloading from it. We're talking about a feature where a majority has to set up Project M and test their hacks, so that a minority doesn't have to. That sounds incredibly inefficient to me.

It would then be up to the previous hack uploaders themselves to determine if they want to go in and update their posts or not, but at least the new guys can come in and place their hack in whatever category since it will already be built into the uploading interface
    That is also a problem. Compared to say, the Wi-fi marker, which was introduced early in the BV lifecycle, a P:M marker would be missing from 4 years of hacks.
    In essence, that would means years before the marker would start holding any real significance on a global scale.
    « Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:56:18 AM by Miacis » Logged

Round and round the signature goes ~
    ~ where it stops, nobody knows.

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: