Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 ... 257 258 259 [260] 261 262 263 ... 445
Author Topic: Brawl Vault Problems, Updates, and Suggestions  (Read 1844874 times)
Segtendo
Local Marie Fanboy
Special Access

Cold queen

• Awards Starstormer PC Core Gamer 128-bit Core Gamer Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #3885 on: July 04, 2012, 11:44:51 PM »

rel ports should be allowed so long as they dont freeze or tstance. most ports cant grab it seems. i guess credit is needed too.
    Why? REL ports are lazy ports. I like the suggestion of creating a thread about all the edited REL's.

: SW-2632-7270-6724

Kienamaru
    Brawl Minus Developer
    Holy Kitten

Never Collab me for anything...

• Awards 64-bit Hardcore Gamer Hot Topic Favorite'd Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3886 on: July 04, 2012, 11:50:12 PM »

what do you mean lazy? they arent full ports?

Young Link recently broke 3000 downloads. If you haven't already, Check it out!

Recently released: Sacred/Fusion Dark Interloper Link.

What ever happened to Tifa?

Segtendo
    Local Marie Fanboy
    Special Access

Cold queen

« Reply #3887 on: July 04, 2012, 11:52:14 PM »

what do you mean lazy? they arent full ports?
    Yes, they're full ports, but they're lazy. Just grab files, edit an REL, throw in some codes, done.

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine
    Brawl Vault Staff

• Awards RAGE!! >9000 Hyperactive Contributor Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3888 on: July 04, 2012, 11:52:59 PM »

Yes, they're full ports, but they're lazy. Just grab files, edit an REL, throw in some codes, done.
    Not to mention very glitch/crash prone.

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

Kienamaru
    Brawl Minus Developer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3889 on: July 04, 2012, 11:56:38 PM »

ive used a few ports that dont crash. like cloud over olimar, and gnw. what other kind of porting is there?

Segtendo
    Local Marie Fanboy
    Special Access

Cold queen

« Reply #3890 on: July 04, 2012, 11:57:50 PM »

ive used a few ports that dont crash. like cloud over olimar, and gnw. what other kind of porting is there?
    Only a couple characters can be ported, like Ike. The first edited module was of Ike.
    Some people try to port to characters that normally aren't ported via REL.

Kienamaru
    Brawl Minus Developer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3891 on: July 05, 2012, 12:02:55 AM »

im still confused. other than rel porting is there another method?

Albafika
    Anti-Christ
    Administrator

• Awards Epic Restorer Super Saiyan Topic Star Hacker PC Core Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3892 on: July 05, 2012, 12:04:04 AM »

im still confused. other than rel porting is there another method?
    And does this looks like the place to learn about ports?

Kienamaru
    Brawl Minus Developer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3893 on: July 05, 2012, 12:07:29 AM »

no. it looks like another episode of a quick question turning into me getting insulted. guess ill go then. ill check the rules sometime.

Albafika
    Anti-Christ
    Administrator

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3894 on: July 05, 2012, 12:09:40 AM »

no. it looks like another episode of a quick question turning into me getting insulted. guess ill go then. ill check the rules sometime.
    No one's insulting you. Just saying you shouldn't debate here a topic you have no knowledge of.

Anyways, back on topic.

Thany
    That kinky ol' broad
    Mega Kitten

It's Legendary!

• Awards Starstormer Pin Collector Featured Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3895 on: July 05, 2012, 01:04:29 AM »

So what have you guys decided on, exactly?

No .rel ports on the Vault, unless they're made by the mod's original creator?
        No packs on the Vault unless they include at least some (a majority?) of your own work?
        Did you settle on anything for plagiarism?

I need to know so I can edit the rules accordingly.

I'm personally against .rel ports, given how they're pretty much a grab for someone else's glory and require no real effort, assuming that the .rel and codes are correct, and the character is able to be replaced via a .rel port to begin with. (Kirby cannot be replaced via .rels)

I mean, .rel porting stages isn't allowed on the Vault as far as I can tell, and this is the same general thing. The .rels and codes are interchangeable for any PSA they were made for. This means a Marth .rel edited to port him over Wario can be used for a Roy over Wario, Sephiroth over Wario, and any other Marth PSA as well. Literally just taking the .rel from one hack and slapping it and the codes on another.

...Although, maybe we should implement some sort of a .rel database as mentioned a page back, so that people who aren't willing to learn and properly make .rels can obtain them that way or something...

As for packs, it's all stuff that's on the Vault to begin with, so...I just don't see the point. Most of the time these go uncredited as well, so it's as if someone just threw their SD contents into an upload.

Haven't we all seen packs with vague things like "credit to everyone who made the stuff in this pack" or "I take no credit for anything is this pack", not even naming a soul or even contributing anything new that they made? They probably haven't a clue or a care who made the stuff .__.

I tend to suspect that this, like .rel ports, might have to do with the desire for more DL's. Poking through the Vault isn't that hard, it just requires not being lazy. Even for Newcomers it doesn't seem like it's too confusing.

Some people might be surprised with what might catch their eye if they took the time to view the Vault, as most packs just seem to be the same "popular" stuff again and again. Shadow, Cloud, Sephiroth, and Mewtwo, be they models or full movesets with one usually over Olimar or DK, seem to be in most packs anyway.

I liked Naso's idea about plagiarism. No uploading the exact same thing someone else made - it needs to be obviously changed(And credit given, if not a collaboration). Admittedly, this is easier to see with character or stage textures, but if it's a moveset, this might get a little trickier...

If someone used another person's moveset and animations as a base for their own project, I'd see that as acceptable as long as they credit the person who made the base.

Although, I do not like the idea of the aforementioned base just having some minor tweaks and being released, like someone else just changing all the flags to be ice attacks, or giving them a 20 jumps, making them spawn items with taunts, etc.

What I mean is to make it into something new, retaining some of the qualities of the base that they've chosen, but at the same time being obviously different in many regards, like many new animations, changing functions of a lot of moves in a way that requires effort, etc

Diddy Kong
    Lol Kitten

chief

• Awards Heart Container Hot Topic Famous Hacker Pin Collector

« Reply #3896 on: July 05, 2012, 02:55:29 AM »

Some people might be surprised with what might catch their eye if they took the time to view the Vault, as most packs just seem to be the same "popular" stuff again and again. Shadow, Cloud, Sephiroth, and Mewtwo, be they models or full movesets with one usually over Olimar or DK, seem to be in most packs anyway.

yup... makes it feel like my SD setup is the only one with obscure stuff on it (I have not uploaded this publically)

Albafika
    Anti-Christ
    Administrator

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3897 on: July 05, 2012, 07:23:15 AM »

I'll just debate part of your arguments.

As for packs, it's all stuff that's on the Vault to begin with, so...I just don't see the point.
    Packs are a simpler way for noobs to get their SD Set up, and for others for an easier set up they can take as a base to re-arrange their SD (I don't see anyone complaining about libertyernie making Stage Packs, do I?)

Most of the time these go uncredited as well, so it's as if someone just threw their SD contents into an upload.

Haven't we all seen packs with vague things like "credit to everyone who made the stuff in this pack" or "I take no credit for anything is this pack", not even naming a soul or even contributing anything new that they made? They probably haven't a clue or a care who made the stuff .__.

We conluded that they won't go uncredited now, so I don't see the point on bringing this issue back. If they can't credit every maker, they can't upload the Pack. Simple as that.

I tend to suspect that this, like .rel ports, might have to do with the desire for more DL's. Poking through the Vault isn't that hard, it just requires not being lazy. Even for Newcomers it doesn't seem like it's too confusing.
    I bring back libertyernie's Stage Pack.

No one has flagged his as a download whore. And I don't think someone (Under what we established) would go make a Pack just for Downloads.

I fail to see the issue here?

Although, I do not like the idea of the aforementioned base just having some minor tweaks and being released, like someone else just changing all the flags to be ice attacks, or giving them a 20 jumps, making them spawn items with taunts, etc.
    It's still different, and it'll be too much work to check every edited PSA on PSA to find if it's got enough changes.

In the end, you're forgetting the point of Brawl Hacking: Modding the game and sharing for others to use and edit. We don't own any of this.

Kienamaru
    Brawl Minus Developer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3898 on: July 05, 2012, 08:47:50 AM »

I agree with Alba.

Think of it this way, if I were to upload a pack using my roster it would save mad time...

Cloud over gnw using models, a PSA, and textures not included in the dl.
    Cloud over Olimar using, models, a custom PSA, and textures not included
    Shadow over DK using voice, and a PSA tweak
    VJoe over Yoshi with BPs set up
    Lloyd over Wolf with BPs set up
    Roy over Marth with BPs and a custom psa
    Marth over Wario with BPs

etc. I know when I was new here it was really difficult trying to find things on the vault. Honestly i still have trouble editing my Common5 (always have someone do it for me because i screw it somehow). It gets particularly difficult when looking for something specific and it isn't showing up because it requires multiple tags AND a name. Packs could also be used for special or.. custom tourneys even. Imagine having a pack that includes a hugely custom roster, custom stages, and codes all set up to allow for tourney play. Just download it and you can wifi battle or whatever with anyone involved. It makes things simple and easy.

Gamma Ridley
    ~Mercenary~
    Boss Kitten

• Awards Featured Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Famous Hacker

« Reply #3899 on: July 05, 2012, 07:43:38 PM »

Can I have my name (Gamma Ridley) be removed from this? I PM'd the guy saying I didn't want to be associated with it, and he proceeded to call me a [censored] and didn't do anything.

:|

Pages:  1 ... 257 258 259 [260] 261 262 263 ... 445
    Print
    Jump to: